Question sign up slots

ur2ez

Sea Legs
sorry if someone asked this already but why are the sign up slots limited instead of a regular open beta? is it for server stability or something

sorry if someone asked this already but why are the sign up slots limited instead of a regular open beta? is it for server stability or something
Yeah, the servers aren't strong enough yet to handle a bunch of players at once. The might be able to hold more than what they have right now but they dont want to risk it.

It's a bit odd really. Like they just doubled the server capacity over the weekend and things seemed to go ok (not that I have any evidence/statistics regarding how that affected performance).

I can understand the devs needing a quiet space to do their work, but wouldn't it be better to reserve a server (for devs only) so they can work in peace?

That way they could increase capacity on the remaining servers to see roughly how many players they can handle before they implode? Then set playtime slots accordingly.

These playtime slots are a real killer. Anything to mitigate their effects would I'm sure be most welcome by many players :p

there has been some frame rate and lag issues based on how many people were logged in to a server. but it looks like each server in game can handle about 40 ish people before it starts to lose any frames and 50+ seems to make it bad. but with 5 servers if we were to split it evenly we could have 200 people on at once at any given time. maybe if they put a cap on server population instead of a time window gate it would work better, but they have more important issues to deal with at the moment

The reason behind playtimes is to allow people who do not have a key the ability to play the game. The reason there is a set limit and time on each playtime is to allow everyone the chance to play. The developers and test estimate how many players the servers can hold and decide on the number of playtimes available based off that. Keep in mind that there are also a lot of key holders online which the server also has to be able to support.

Over time as servers are added and code is optimized you will see an increase in playtimes, and eventually the game will be open at all times to all players.

I can understand the devs needing a quiet space to do their work, but wouldn't it be better to reserve a server (for devs only) so they can work in peace?

The developers write code and develop the game on their local servers (which are run on their own computers) and test them on the quality assurance server, which is a small server only a select group of testers and TLOPO Staff members can play on. Once they are confident the update will not cause issues with players on the production (beta) servers, they deploy the updates to that as well.

The developers and test estimate how many players the servers can hold and decide on the number of playtimes available based off that. Keep in mind that there are also a lot of key holders online which the server also has to be able to support.

Thanks for the response - if the playtime slots are based on an actual estimate of the capacity of the servers then that's all that can be done really.

What confused me was the extra playtime slots over the weekend; my initial reaction was why not just leave it like that? So basically we can presume that the extra slots affected the servers in an undesirable way, even if not strictly terminal :D

Thanks for the response - if the playtime slots are based on an actual estimate of the capacity of the servers then that's all that can be done really.

What confused me was the extra playtime slots over the weekend; my initial reaction was why not just leave it like that? So basically we can presume that the extra slots affected the servers in an undesirable way, even if not strictly terminal :D
Probably more as of a reward imo. Plus, it probably was a good stress test of sorts

After they get the majority of the major bugs and crashes fixed or settled down, I'm sure optimizing the game and servers to handle an open beta will be their #1 priority. They don't intend to leave the beta semi-open. As for the extra slots, you may have a point there, but they know more about what the servers can handle than we do.

Back