Discussion Skull and Bones War Brig

Lou

Sea Legs
I just bought my war brig and am thinking of upgrading to skull and bones when I get the chance. I am still considering fortune hunter but don't know which is better. Any opinions?

I have a fortune hunter war brig lvl 5 and love it. You get tons of loot and/or mats but you need to know/learn to sail so you don't get hit often as the armour is not the best and it's not great on the offensive either but having you firebrand at lvl 5 helps:)
I've just bought another war brig to do skull and bones but already after only doing the first few basic armour upgrades am concerned with its speed and turning ability drastically dropping. Maybe skull and bones is not the best for high armour upgrades?

I have a IV Skull & Bones war frigate. Once you get out of the reinforced tier the speed goes back up.

I love this ship. It handles great and even just at level IV it takes out other ships easy peasy.

So I went for the cargo upgrade first, I can upgrade cargo fully and still get skull and bones correct?

I have a IV Skull & Bones war frigate. Once you get out of the reinforced tier the speed goes back up.

I love this ship. It handles great and even just at level IV it takes out other ships easy peasy.
You went through reinforced for S&B? Ouch.

So I went for the cargo upgrade first, I can upgrade cargo fully and still get skull and bones correct?
Correct, and you'll spend much less iron and a fair bit less steel this way (though more gold, but gold is easy)!

You went through reinforced for S&B? Ouch.

Correct, and you'll spend much less iron and a fair bit less steel this way (though more gold, but gold is easy)!
@Sky Kiwi Do you recommend going through cargo to Skull&Bones on a war brig? Does going through reinforced armour make any difference to the final ship HP? As I've only gone as far as the 1st or second reinforced I can still undo it and change to cargo.
I have looked at the wiki about upgrades and still seem to be confused by the whole thing lol

@Sky Kiwi Do you recommend going through cargo to Skull&Bones on a war brig? Does going through reinforced armour make any difference to the final ship HP? As I've only gone as far as the 1st or second reinforced I can still undo it and change to cargo.
I have looked at the wiki about upgrades and still seem to be confused by the whole thing lol
I mean reinforced Rank I-III will give it more health than cargo would but it should still be the same when you switch over to skuls be it from cargo or reinforced.

Cargo is the best way to get Skulls & Bones on any ship because you spend much fewer materials you need than going through the reinforced track. It isn't too much more expensive than the reinforced track, at least on my War Sloop it wasn't but a few thousand more nothing huge like a 20k gap. Right now that is what I am doing with my war sloop, Cargo to Skulls.

@LunaStorm I definitely recommend going through cargo. Materials are a pain, and reinforced especially has the worst material costs of any other tier - the metals are the hardest to get in high quantities. Whereas gold is not only faster to get (I don't even know what your deal is @CharlotteIronPhoenix lol) though that is somewhat counteracted by the fact that you spend it faster. But more importantly you can get gold in other ways. While levelling land skills you get gold. While questing you get gold. Fishing, blackjack, looting, gold gold gold. Whereas that iron for reinforced is obtained solely through hours of sailing.

With that said If you're like me, and hate all land gameplay, and only sail... Well in that case reinforced isn't as bad (though I still recommend cargo).

I've noticed a common misconception (and I mean super common, wayyy too many people think this) that prior upgrades change anything.

Each hull upgrade has its own stats. They don't actually build off the previous hull, they just have the same stats increased. If you don't think of it as adding to what already exists, but instead more like trading in for a new car, it makes a lot more sense (though it's less fun because sentimental reasons). You give your Cargo 2 ship in, with some money, to get a Cargo 3 ship. Your old Cargo 2 ship is no longer in the equation. The same applies for all upgrades. Whether you trade in a Cargo 3 or a Reinforced 3, you're just getting a brand new Skull and Bones 3.

In summation, no, previous hull upgrades do not have any bearing on your current ship stats.

@LunaStorm I definitely recommend going through cargo. Materials are a pain, and reinforced especially has the worst material costs of any other tier - the metals are the hardest to get in high quantities. Whereas gold is not only faster to get (I don't even know what your deal is @CharlotteIronPhoenix lol) though that is somewhat counteracted by the fact that you spend it faster. But more importantly you can get gold in other ways. While levelling land skills you get gold. While questing you get gold. Fishing, blackjack, looting, gold gold gold. Whereas that iron for reinforced is obtained solely through hours of sailing.

With that said If you're like me, and hate all land gameplay, and only sail... Well in that case reinforced isn't as bad (though I still recommend cargo).

I've noticed a common misconception (and I mean super common, wayyy too many people think this) that prior upgrades change anything.

Each hull upgrade has its own stats. They don't actually build off the previous hull, they just have the same stats increased. If you don't think of it as adding to what already exists, but instead more like trading in for a new car, it makes a lot more sense (though it's less fun because sentimental reasons). You give your Cargo 2 ship in, with some money, to get a Cargo 3 ship. Your old Cargo 2 ship is no longer in the equation. The same applies for all upgrades. Whether you trade in a Cargo 3 or a Reinforced 3, you're just getting a brand new Skull and Bones 3.

In summation, no, previous hull upgrades do not have any bearing on your current ship stats.
Great! Thank you very much for that info Sky Kiwi! :)

You can do what I did and go to Skull and Bones 6 then switch to Copperhead... it saved much more time tbh

Yes it needs to be S&B because copperhead uses explosives (isn't that right) and I have my firebrand skill at max (for my fortune hunter) and fury at max for cannon work. So S&B is the best option I think :)

Back