Suggestion – a wonderful way to join pirates again?

Sleepy Pumpkin

Pirate Apprentice
Ahoy, mates
All of us know that TLOPO staff is doing a wonderful job and there is no way to do it faster and better.
And I think that many of us - nostalgic former POTCO players and impatient future TLOPO players - need a way to gather again, relive old friendships, recover good old talks with wonderful pirates.
But time weakens (almost) everything and it would be great if we could find a way to gather the community again. Forums are a good way to keep in touch but for many of us, pirates, it is not a very attractive way. Nothing compares to a face-to-face pirate avatars reunion (it would be amazing!)

So, allow me a suggestion for Johnny and his crew:
- Since “character creation”, “one main island” and “multiplayer chat” are almost done, how about allow everybody to create a pirate character, talk with eachother, make friends, even form guilds [that could be kept when TLOPO is released], gather in a single island (with no enemies and no other action).
Just a virtual friendly place in the Caribeean (wow!).
Allowing people to play minigames such as “potions” and “fishing” would be like a “cherry on the top of the cake” (dont know if you use that expression in USA and UK).
That way, TLOPO crew could also evaluate how many are already prepared to relive the legend. And if there were thousands of us, that would be a big “white glove slap” on Disney’s greed.

Best wishes for everybody

aye. following up on @Joshua Daggerfire's insight. tlopo at its current state isn't a platform for a 'social call' or getting boots into the door. The forums here or the boards are a good place to keep social. aye. it's no "game" but you can still have fun with each other.

if you want a more visually stimulating experience in acting with yer fellow's avatars, i'd sadly have to say playing another fully operational mmo is the thing to do. aye. it may not be fishing or card playing (because potions arent up for the testers at least at this point) nor would it be you in pirate garb, but it should be able to ease yer itch in having some "face-to-face" time with yer cohorts..

The servers actually seem incredibly stable. The game has its bugginess and crashes. I have yet to see the server crash or any major lag.

In all honesty, I am scared that it will shutdown a few months/years after the release due to the fact they can't charge anything, and they need something stable to hold up the TLOPO servers..

In all honesty, I am scared that it will shutdown a few months/years after the release due to the fact they can't charge anything, and they need something stable to hold up the TLOPO servers..

from my knowledge, those who are financially supporting the servers are in a long term financially stable situation. but if it does comes to that point some ways down the road, i think ppl will start supporting the project through some means or another.

As far as we know, we're just going to have to wait until open alpha or open beta. I don't have a problem with it although I have been a little concerned about the recent lack of updates. Oh well, everything's probably fine.

If it all doesn't work out they should make a singleplayet

but asides from the connection to the movies and pirating lifestyle (mostly sailing for me), the driving force behind the game was/is the interaction among players. if the game goes solo, it'll loss a LOT going for it.

but in regards to the longevity of tlopo, we have to remember that games don't last forever and we has humans have to attempt. we cant go chasing fireflies and capturing them in jars. soon the sun will rise and those glowing wonders will die. and we have to prepare for that. alongside people, we have to enjoy and be thankful for what time we're given. if tlopo only lasts 2 years, then so be it -- at least make those 2 years playing the game worth it.

If it all doesn't work out they should make a singleplayet
It wouldn't be legal. The team would have to pretty much give out everything that the game is composed of, and that would be heavy copyright infringement. Not just the client-side stuff that goes on your computer to run the multiplayer version, but the server-side stuff as well so that it can be run locally.

Anyone who plans to take this and run off topic with it should just stop right now :daggermouth:

kinda hard because you started the branch. What was the original post about again??

Open certain game.parts for the general public? What says you, lady @katnypp?

The servers could probably hold a lot of people, it's more/less client stability that they'd just be the issue. We would need to fix up the client more before we add a ton of people on.

The server crashed a few times in our games entire lifespan, we however have anti-crash systems in place that will prevent a full shutdown of the servers.

EDIT: The idea of opening only one island to everyone would be a nightmare to code, and frankly a setback. We're going to continue having contests, etc, until we lead up to a semi-open/open beta in which everyone can play.

Last edited:
My thought would be to have the option to register Basic Access accounts without alpha keys and set them up with lesser permissions, and then Unlimited Access is used for members with keys to access everything.

But nvm, I'd prefer to just wait until beta. There will be more content to enjoy then, anyway ;)

^ If they were to do that, the game would most likely crash at its current state. It's best to wait until the game's update is between 1.1.2 to 1.1.7 to know anything. Until then, I'll take what we got.

Back