Tales of the Caribbean Online (TOTCO) pushed back~

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetestgame

Swashbuckler
I bring news of POTCS. Due to the level of of negativity surrounding POTCS our team has decided to delay releasing the source. However I have secured resources from my indie studio I work for to do a full scale release of our own POTCO private server under the name "Tales of the Caribbean Online". I will hopefully have more news to share with everyone once we get our machines up and running!

Last edited:
I think it is important to point out one way to counter hackers for an open source project. I'll lay out an example. Let us say we first started with an open source collaboration and it was finished today. Let eacha ttempt made by people to date to make an emulator of POTCO be someone who opens a server-for the purpose of this I'll use three: TLOPO, another remake, & a fictitious one named Pirates Remastered. They would all have the same code, yes granted, but each would have their own staff. Let us say they all had qualified developers. TLOPO's could modify the code to perhaps do the same things but be written in a different way or alternatively brick up any possible exploits. another remake might write it differently, and Pirates Remastered may not do anything with it at all because its total lack of development team. The reality would be if you had a team for your organization qualified to modify the code or build things so it wouldn't be exploited, it would work. I think that's the point of making this by the OP or others who wish for it to be open source. Coding is very unrestricted in getting things done. There's probably several different ways to write a code to get the same thing. If I do recall in my memory correctly, TLOPO is reconstructing from scratch the game meaning they'd probably be using an entirely different code than the actual game. It would suggest there is more than one way of doing this. I'm going to also jump the gun by responding prematurely someone that might question me with this: "What if your examples became reality but didn't have the qualified developers?" It wouldn't be the case because it is clear by today's progress made by TLOPO that there is people qualified to write code, just as well they could rewrite it if they can write it in general.

Interested to hear about Tales of the Caribbean Online (TotCO?) as information becomes available. Unfortunately, there's a good chance any endeavor you take on will be met with some degree of negativity, so brace yourself.

This is also the first I've heard of Pirates Remastered, perhaps the good doctor could briefly enlighten us on what that's all about?

Thanks!
Dean

Interested to hear about Tales of the Caribbean Online (TotCO?) as information becomes available. Unfortunately, there's a good chance any endeavor you take on will be met with some degree of negativity, so brace yourself.

This is also the first I've heard of Pirates Remastered, perhaps the good doctor could briefly enlighten us on what that's all about?

Thanks!
Dean
I think by Pirates Remastered, she meant a non-existent project for her example :p

I bring news of POTCS. Due to the level of of negativity surrounding POTCS our team has decided to delay releasing the source. However I have secured resources from my indie studio I work for to do a full scale release of our own POTCO private server under the name "Tales of the Caribbean Online". I will hopefully have more news to share with everyone once we get our machines up and running!
Why though.

Why not just wait to see if TLOPO becomes successful? If it does and is doing fine, what would be the point of releasing another POTCO other than to divide the community?

(Assuming you're not bluffing, that is)

Why though.

Why not just wait to see if TLOPO becomes successful? If it does and is doing fine, what would be the point of releasing another POTCO other than to divide the community?

(Assuming you're not bluffing, that is)
There are many reasons. Some of which id rather not bring up in a public form but mainly because we already made a lot of progress behind the scenes and have the team to not only get the game up and running but also add the content Disney planned on adding but never did.

Thanks!
Dean
I think she just used the name "Pirates Remastered" as an example.

There are many reasons. Some of which id rather not bring up in a public form but mainly because we already made a lot of progress behind the scenes and have the team to not only get the game up and running but also add the content Disney planned on adding but never did.

I'm glad your team has made supposed progress in achieving your goal of releasing a new POTCO but I must admit I am a bit suspicious of someone who is unwilling to post the reasons they want to develop a game in a public form just for if no other reason that it's very rare I believe for someone to announce they're bringing back a fan-favorite game of a community then to say they're unwilling to release any information as to the reason why they're so willing to beside the fact that they've already got the resources prepared to do so.

That's like saying just because I have the ingredients to make a cake that I should go ahead and do so because I'm hungry and they taste good and it'd only take me an hour or so except in your instance, you're not just taking an hour or less to make a cake. You're taking up supposedly months of people's time and resources (supposedly, of course. You've also provided no evidence of this team or that your team has made any progress besides your claims they have done so.) so while I do think it's cool that you've set a goal like this for you and your supposed "team". I must once again question as to why you're unwilling to share more reasoning or evidence of your team/progress made so far.

I mean if you and your supposed team do have the willingness to take the time and energy necessary to recreate a game then I'd think you'd all have much better reasoning thought out behind doing so then "we got the stuff to do it and we had some people willing to do it so here we are". For an example, I could go further in depth as to why I wanted to make a cake but considering it's a metaphor, I won't. However, you should be able to at least do that with your incentive to re-create the game because once again, we're not talking about a cake making but instead something takes months to do if not more so once again, I say that I would think your reasoning behind this should be much more than what you've mentioned before.

tl;dr suspicious of someone who is unwilling to share reasons or at least more in-depth reasoning behind his plan of re-creating the game and has posted little evidence to back his claims of having a team or having made any progress with his supposed team's re-creation of the game.

If you do however have a minute to share these reasons or provide proof than I'd be more than happy to discuss them in a PM or else where.

Best of luck in your endeavor.

I apologize if my post comes off as bashing or as an attack but as you can tell by reading around these forums or else where that there has been multiple fake attempts to re-create POTCO so I always look for obvious signs in someone making a fake attempt.

Last edited:
Sounds exactly like what TLOPO is doing.

If you're serious about wanting to bring back the game, and since you claim to have knowledge of howto do it, maybe you should offer your services to the TLOPO team to help get the game out faster :p

I'm glad your team has made supposed progress in achieving your goal of releasing a new POTCO but I must admit I am a bit suspicious of someone who is unwilling to post the reasons they want to develop a game in a public form just for if no other reason that it's very rare I believe for someone to announce they're bringing back a fan-favorite game of a community then to say they're unwilling to release any information as to the reason why they're so willing to beside the fact that they've already got the resources prepared to do so.

That's like saying just because I have the ingredients to make a cake that I should go ahead and so because I'm hungry and they taste good and it'd only take me an hour or so except in your instance, you're not just taking an hour or less to make a cake. You're taking up supposedly months of people's time and resources (supposedly, of course. You've also provided no evidence of this team or that your team has made any progress besides your claims they have done so.) so while I do think it's cool that you've set a goal like this for you and your supposed "team". I must once again question as to why you're unwilling to share more reasoning or evidence of your team/progress made so far.

I mean if you and your supposed team does have the willingness to take the time and energy necessary to recreate a game then I'd think you'd all have much better reasoning thought out behind doing so then "we got the stuff to do it and we had some people willing to do it so here we are". For an example, I could go further in depth as to why I wanted to make a cake but considering it's a metaphor, I won't. However, you should be able to at least do that with your incentive to re-create the game because once again, we're not talking about a cake making but instead something takes months to do if not more so you would think following the same logic that your reasoning behind doing so should be more fleshed out.

tl;dr suspicious of someone who is unwilling to share reasons or at least more in-depth reasoning behind his plan of re-creating the game and has posted little evidence to back his claims of having a team or having made any progress with his supposed team's re-creation of the game.

If you do however have a minute to share these reasons or provide proof than I'd be more than happy to discuss them in a PM or else where.

I apologize if my post comes off as bashing or as an attack but as you can tell by reading around these forums or else where that there has been multiple fake attempts to re-create POTCO so I always look for obvious signs in someone making a fake attempt.
Thanks Solomon
Glad to see someone else won't let being extremely nice get in the way of saying what needs to be said
Good job, I'm serious :)

That's like saying just because I have the ingredients to make a cake that I should go ahead and do so because I'm hungry and they taste good and it'd only take me an hour or so except in your instance, you're not just taking an hour or less to make a cake. You're taking up supposedly months of people's time and resources (supposedly, of course. You've also provided no evidence of this team or that your team has made any progress besides your claims they have done so.) so while I do think it's cool that you've set a goal like this for you and your supposed "team". I must once again question as to why you're unwilling to share more reasoning or evidence of your team/progress made so far.

I mean if you and your supposed team do have the willingness to take the time and energy necessary to recreate a game then I'd think you'd all have much better reasoning thought out behind doing so then "we got the stuff to do it and we had some people willing to do it so here we are". For an example, I could go further in depth as to why I wanted to make a cake but considering it's a metaphor, I won't. However, you should be able to at least do that with your incentive to re-create the game because once again, we're not talking about a cake making but instead something takes months to do if not more so once again, I say that I would think your reasoning behind this should be much more than what you've mentioned before.

The reason I don't want to talk about our reasons in public is rather complicated. Its mostly to prevent another giant argument like what happened when I first announced POTCS. I'm not against talking about our reasons but until we are further along and have a more solid base Id rather avoid talking much about it in public.

The reason I don't want to talk about our reasons in public is rather complicated. Its mostly to prevent another giant argument like what happened when I first announced POTCS. I'm not against talking about our reasons but until we are further along and have a more solid base Id rather avoid talking much about it in public.
You could privately PM them to him or me

You could privately PM them to him or me
I already messaged Solomon explaining the reasoning. I'd like to not message a bunch of people just yet. We do plan on getting our website up in the next week or so and i'll explain more about us when that happens. I am however willing to show some behind the scenes screenshots on request though. They are not the most impressive screenshots ever but they do show progress.

Last edited:
Hi all, just wanted to share some screenshots from the progress we've made here in the past week. Feel free to ask any questions regarding the game to me from this point forward, as thetestgame and other developers are currently working hard at bringing the game back.

http://imgur.com/a/PEos2

Thanks,
Xamarin

edit: yes, I know it says "Pirates of the Caribbean Source", it'll be changed, do not fear. :happy:

Hi all, just wanted to share some screenshots from the progress we've made here in the past week. Feel free to ask any questions regarding the game to me from this point forward, as thetestgame and other developers are currently working hard at bringing the game back.

Thanks,
Xamarin

edit: yes, I know it says "Pirates of the Caribbean Source", it'll be changed, do not fear. :happy:

Hi @Xamarin,

From these screenshots, you have incriminated POTCS in the clear use of our code source (we have many visual cues that tell us whether this code is ours or not). This implication is extremely telling of your project's honesty.

Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks,
Xamarin

totco-is-tlopo-code.jpg

One thing I didn't note in the picture is that the Key GUI seems to be a tad oversized, which was a bug as well in TLOPO which was later fixed.

I don't care if people want to make another project, just please do me a favor and ya know.. NOT steal our code. Please and thank you <3.

(this also keeps proving my point I made earlier about the 'pirates-dev' server version)

Last edited:
View attachment 68552
One thing I didn't note in the picture is that the Key GUI seems to be a tad oversized, which was a bug as well in TLOPO which was later fixed.

I don't care if people want to make another project, just please do me a favor and ya know.. NOT steal our code. Please and thank you <3.

(this also keeps proving my point I made earlier about the 'pirates-dev' server version)
To be fair he does have enemies in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back