The old Gamemaster guilds.

Would you want to become a Gamermaster? If not, which faction would you love to sail?

• I would love to be a Gamemaster!

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I would love to sail EITC!

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I would love to sail the Royal Navy!

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I would love to sail Marceline!

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I would love to sail Casa de Muertos!

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I would love to be a Ghost!

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I don't really know.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't want either.

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
The Royal Navy, the EITC Black Guard, Ghosts, Marceline, and Casa de Muertos, were all Gamemaster guilds run by Disney moderators. I was wondering if it would be possible if certain people could sign up for a position in this, if they will still be in-game. I would very much like to be a member of the Royal Navy or the EITC Black Guard. If this is not an option, will the game ever feature an option to join either of the groups and fly their flags? I would very much love to do either (mostly become a GM as I have been one on several other games in the past.)

The only GMs will be the developers. But the names might not be used by them, as they might have a name they may want to use. Do this means a normal player could possibly use these old guild names

The only GMs will be the developers...
Curious. While although the devs are certainly justified in becoming GM's (since their 'main' responsibility was to assure the actual development of the game), how does that fact also equate towards each and every one of them possessing the required skills and maturity to remain in-game GM's? It's kinda like saying an aircraft engineer whom helps designs and manufacturer airplanes would make an effective pilot/co-pilot.

While although certain people are equipped to handle the added responsibility, who's to say that everyone is (on the basis of handling things impartially and without bias towards specific individuals and/or groups)?

- Is this anyone else's concern or, am I just "freaking" out again as most of my critics will likely proclaim?
:confused:

Curious. While although the devs are certainly justified in becoming GM's (since their 'main' responsibility was to assure the actual development of the game), how does that fact also equate towards each and every one of them possessing the required skills and maturity to remain in-game GM's? It's kinda like saying an aircraft engineer whom helps designs and manufacturer airplanes would make an effective pilot/co-pilot.

While although certain people are equipped to handle the added responsibility, who's to say that everyone is (on the basis of handling things impartially and without bias towards specific individuals and/or groups)?

- Is this anyone else's concern or, am I just "freaking" out again as most of my critics will likely proclaim?
:confused:
I see where you are coming from. But I believe we have different ideas on what GMs are. I see them as Admins/Owners. Not moderators.
Do I think they all have the maturity required? Can go both ways.
Do I think they should hire mods? Yes. Once they need them

I see where you are coming from. But I believe we have different ideas on what GMs are. I see them as Admins/Owners. Not moderators...
Yes, I think mods is a good idea so the trolls don't ruin our beloved game when it opens up again.
Based upon predictable behavior of the past, it will be a necessity in my opinion to have implemented the "right kind" (i.e., experienced) moderators/community leaders as in-game GM's because even if a particular project were to uphold someone as game Administrator/Owner only...inevitably they would likely be forced into a position at some point to take action against someone or a group according to the established rules put into place.

One could argue that "any" emulator project GM is sufficient enough in lieu of what we had from Disney during POTCO's time. However, all of POTCO's GM's were adults and therefore had also the pressure and responsibility of representing Disney in a way which promoted not only the POTC brand but Disney, as a whole as a company, as well (permitting such decision-making to remain in check for the purpose of full accountability).

Based upon predictable behavior of the past, it will be a necessity in my opinion to have implemented the "right kind" (i.e., experienced) moderators/community leaders as in-game GM's because even if a particular project were to uphold someone as game Administrator/Owner only...inevitably they would likely be forced into a position at some point to take action against someone or a group according to the established rules put into place.

One could argue that "any" emulator project GM is sufficient enough in lieu of what we had from Disney during POTCO's time. However, all of POTCO's GM's were adults and therefore had also the pressure and responsibility of representing Disney in a way which promoted not only the POTC brand but Disney, as a whole as a company, as well (permitting such decision-making to remain in check for the purpose of full accountability).
Maybe some of the adults or responsible older teens can volunteer to monitor the reported players (when other players click on the name and click report to administrator) as well as reviewing reports that show players who use the words that are listed as inappropriate? There are a lot of us who want to help once the game opens and this could be a way to do that to keep our game safe and take some of the daily work off the developers plates.

I feel like some kind of past experience in other games would be the best qualification for this obviously. But the GM's have the right to decide who does and doesn't moderate the game. If they want to just have it be themselves and an anti-cheat / chat filter, then that's their choice. If they want to employ moderators based on past experience, or popularity in the community, that's their choice. We have the right to vote on it but I really don't think we should be the ones to try and decide this for them. They will decide when the time is right and the game is further along.

...There are a lot of us who want to help once the game opens and this could be a way to do that to keep our game safe and take some of the daily work off the developers plates.
I can name a few trustworthy individuals whom, I do know within this community, whom are actually "interested" to contribute in such a capacity (or towards another). As far as I know, they haven't yet expressed this interest publicly.

Personally, I feel a big deterrent for them to do so is the fact that TLOPO (since it has evolved to remain the main POTCO project) seems to remain closed-minded to the idea of encouraging fellow POTCO players within the community to want to assist or help in a non-development capacity. *At least this is what I sense, thus far.

I feel like some kind of past experience in other games would be the best qualification for this obviously. But the GM's have the right to decide who does and doesn't moderate the game. If they want to just have it be themselves and an anti-cheat / chat filter, then that's their choice. If they want to employ moderators based on past experience, or popularity in the community, that's their choice. We have the right to vote on it but I really don't think we should be the ones to try and decide this for them. They will decide when the time is right and the game is further along.
Trust me, I know what you are saying. Also...I have heard this line of reasoning many, many times before (and not just pertaining to the 'GM'/in-game moderating issue).

Let me state this publicly; I am not anti-TLOPO. Rather instead...and I think this is what really concerns me the most...is we basically have only "ONE" chance to witness POTCO becoming successfully emulated. As ex-POTCO players, are we 100% OK with the fact that the majority of us should not even be involved in some light capacity of it's very fate? The game meant so much to each of us...you know? Why shouldn't we have a say as to how the project itself should be strategized?

What I find a bit uneasy (for myself, that is) is that while although everyone is preaching "community"... the community itself is so far out-of-the picture on things that we might as well stop referring to everything as community driven and accept the fact that OUR fate is completely co-dependent upon the decisions made from a small group of gamers whom are no more qualified to rule over our fate than Disney was, within the past.

*I am not trying to come off as ungrateful! I do appreciate TLOPO and the progress they have shown, thus far. More often than not, I am basically trying to understand (completely) what everyone most wants. As best as I can speculate, everyone just wants to play POTCO again no matter what that does or does not entail. But, we have failed to remember also that we likely have only ONE shot at this, to get it right - I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me, I know what you are saying. Also...I have heard this line of reasoning many, many times before (and not just pertaining to the 'GM'/in-game moderating issue).

Let me state this publicly; I am not anti-TLOPO. Rather instead...and I think this is what really concerns me the most...is we basically have only "ONE" chance to witness POTCO becoming successfully emulated. As ex-POTCO players, are we 100% OK with the fact that the majority of us should not even be involved in some light capacity of it's very fate? The game meant so much to each of us...you know? Why shouldn't we have a say as to how the project itself should be strategized?

What I find a bit uneasy (for myself, that is) is that while although everyone is preaching "community"... the community itself is so far out-of-the picture on things that we might as well stop referring to everything as community driven and accept the fact that OUR fate is completely co-dependent upon the decisions made from a small group of gamers whom are no more qualified to rule over our fate than Disney was, within the past.

*I am not trying to come off as ungrateful! I do appreciate TLOPO and the progress they have shown, thus far. More often than not, I'm basically trying to understand (completely) what everyone most wants. As best as I can speculate, everyone just wants to play POTCO again no matter what that does or does not entail. But, we fail to remember that we likely have only ONE shot at this, to get it right - I mean.
I see your point and it's a good one. But from my perspective, it'll be no different from the first time I played: the first time around, I just showed up and played without giving any thought to what went on in the background. Even if I have no involvement, the experience won't be any less than what it was last time. If I am involved, then that's great! But I'll be happy with whatever happens.

As far as the "1 try to get it right": That's very true and it's probably good to see it that way. But I feel like there are waaayyyy too many opinions around here to satisfy everyone, so it's really best to just let them do what they plan to with the game, and then maybe start taking suggestions and such when the game's more complete. Some people want this, others want that... the way to cause the least argument is to just not take anyone's side in the matter, if that makes sense.

But now I'm kinda straying from the specific topic of GM's. Sorry. I say again, this should be a choice left up to the devs.

Well, it is nice to see so much thoughts. However, not all developers can actually have the mental aptitude to handle people who are trolls, or people who are testing them but aren't breaking the rules. Therefore I think it would be nice to have a sign up area for Moderators in-game. The Developers pick a certain person or people (preferably) to question them and see if they can be up for the job. I would certainly love to be a GM, and I would hate for it to end up like.. well, certain games where their GM's will BAN you at the moment you do something they THINK is wrong, however it is not a GM's decision on why to ban someone, it is a GM's mission to enforce the rules that are present, not to make up their own personal idea of what someone should and should not do.

Well, it is nice to see so much thoughts. However, not all developers can actually have the mental aptitude to handle people who are trolls, or people who are testing them but aren't breaking the rules. Therefore I think it would be nice to have a sign up area for Moderators in-game. The Developers pick a certain person or people (preferably) to question them and see if they can be up for the job. I would certainly love to be a GM, and I would hate for it to end up like.. well, certain games where their GM's will BAN you at the moment you do something they THINK is wrong, however it is not a GM's decision on why to ban someone, it is a GM's mission to enforce the rules that are present, not to make up their own personal idea of what someone should and should not do.
I agree with the above but let me also add that it's not as if there exists a secret conspiracy group whom is against the idea of TLOPO developers from game mastering (i.e., GM) and possibly moderating TLOPO's own in-game activities. This is not the case!!! Rather instead, it is simple logic (and necessity) to put those individuals in positions whom do have the acquired skills, maturity, and experience whom could contribute to making TLOPO the best emulated version of POTCO ever.

*Going back to what I had previously stated earlier (which I will highlight, again, below)...
...It's kinda like saying an aircraft engineer whom helps designs and manufacturer airplanes would make an effective pilot/co-pilot.
... it will likely become a difficult task for TLOPO to acquire the right kind of discipline in GM/moderating the game once it achieves full launch and it would be a mistake for the devs to think that this kind of experience can simply be gained or achieved, overnight.
:moon:
Heck, those of us whom have been moderating publicly for years understand how challenging the task can remain and this is because everyone's own interpretations (whether such [public] interpretations by others are taken correctly or not) must be overcome and sacrificed for the pursuit - and goal - of FAIR moderating! As much as it seems that people could, this kind of SKILL cannot be gained "at the hip" or...on the whim.

~ Communication and listening skill (between people) is never quite that easy ...

Last edited by a moderator:
So, in essence, you're saying we should have GMs, Referees, and perhaps something like Enforcers?
GM
s would be the Admins/Owners/Devs
Referees would be the equivalent of customer service/handle reports
Enforcers would be the equivalent of in-game moderators and such
(I'm taking those three ideas from a game I used to play called Free Realms, they used Referees and Enforcers quite frequently, although they were only Sony employees, much like Disney did.)

Back