Tip The Staff is a bad weapon.

The only good attack on it is Flaming Skull, it's long charge times can be forced to be restarted with knives, it takes up too much voodoo and STOPS YOU FROM MOVING WHILE CHARGING. A simple fix would just be letting us move, like Take Aim.
I agree with most of this, but I've upgraded spirit lore and another skill that makes the charge time much shorter and one that reduces spell cost. But yeah, Flaming Skull is the only good attack for general enemies. Banish is only good against undead, and desolation usually kills me.

I remember as a kid back in the early POTCO days I always seemed to be fascinated by the staff since at the time I thought it was the top tier weapon since you unlock it at level 30. So for me back then it was just cool to be able to use it.

I always viewed staves as a means to an end. They are really more mid-game weapons that become less useful after a certain level. The auras make staves worth it when you're taking on a boss as a crew. However when you get to the point where you can loot at the gold room or south idol, voodoo doll healing is where it's at. Auras simply aren't enough when you are gaining and losing massive amounts of health at once. It just isn't worth it to stay close to the aura caster when blunt force + healing is more effective in every way. This goes doubly so for fighting at Smasho or The Watcher.

That said, they are the flashiest weapon type in the game so you would expect them to be more powerful. Not that they aren't powerful, but for even your strongest staff, there will always be a stronger sword, blunderbuss, or throwing knife that can attack the same AOE faster and better than you can charge/cast an attack. I think this becomes especially obvious in PvP.

The staff's purpose is completely eclipsed by muskets

Auras can be situationally useful though

Staves are most useful for invasions. When there are so many stronger enemies spawning at once, you can put yourself in the right spot and make many burn before they even get the chance to touch the barricades. And auras are useful in those situations as well. With so many players moving around in the area it is pretty impossible to make use of healing with doll to help as many as possible. Auras then cover anyone around you which is likely to be a lot during a good invasion.

Back