This I Believe

Hi all,

I recently stumbled upon a website called "This I Believe." It is dedicated to a creative writing approach that focuses specifically on writing about a core belief that defines yourself on a daily basis as a person. The belief can be anything - it is completely open-ended, but the final goal is to convey a solid message about one of your defining qualities as a person.

I've written a short essay myself, which I'll quote below.

This I Believe - Companionship

I believe in companionship.

A person should always make a genuine effort to build a rapport with another individual. It gives purpose to life and is the kindling for a growing relationship. Companionship is the definition of somebody willing to be there to help and listen through thick and thin.

My dog, Murphy, stands in the doorway as I come home from a long day at work. He does not know where I have been all day, but it does not matter to him. Cheerful brown eyes and excited jumping greet me as I step through the door. His love is unconditional and unyielding. When most of my energy is expended after a challenging day, my dog is my escape—my safe sanctuary. Like he had yearned for me, I also have yearned to snuggle up to his opulent golden coat after being held hostage by computer screens and other technology all day.

When I’m sad and tears are rolling and crashing in waves down my cheeks, he is there for me. He does not judge or assume. He is just there, working as a catcher for my tears and a receiver for hugs. It is his duty. He and I talk things over in our own way—what happened that day and what’s upsetting me—and he tries to cheer me up with a playful yelp or a sneaky retrieval of a tennis ball or pull-rope. Murphy instinctively seems to know the perfect way to encourage me and is very receptive to my emotions.

When we’re both bored and otherwise unoccupied, a trip around the block is never denied. He politely sits down and waits for me to clip his leash to his collar, completely trusting and submissive to me. In my perspective, this walk is just so we can both get out for a little while to breathe and contemplate about things in the balmy summer air. To him, it is a chance to sight-see and indulge in all of the wonders and aromas of the landscape. In the end, we’re both meeting each other's needs. I determined from some contemplation that his leash symbolizes our relationship—we are linked together to form one unified entity. The ends of the leash require an equal amount of work so that both beings stay together. If either becomes detached from the leash, we no longer move as a single entity and thus the other being will become disjointed, traveling in differing directions. We serve as each other’s guides in life—the commitment of a companion.

Being around my dog clears the haze from my head and makes me appreciate the small things in life. He rescues me from the typical drone of day-to-day life and gives me a purpose. He reminds me constantly to loosen up and be in the moment, rather than obsess over petty details or plans. He is there with me while I am experiencing all of this, his loyalty always driving him to be at my side. When people state that “a dog is man’s best friend,” it is true. Love is irrefutable and is the catalyst for life’s greatest experiences—which a companion, a dog, will experience along with his owner. I believe in confiding in somebody and making commitments. I believe in companionship.

I encourage you to write a similar essay below. Writing is a great way to relax and vent out your emotions. Most of all, writing about something such as this could cause you to discover more about yourself as a person.

what are the guidelines? if anything, what's the length. because when i hear "essay," i think 5 - 12 pages DS mla format. lol

Back