Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Nope; never will ~

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters
S

Shamus The Brute

Was POTCO cursed? :skullpeak:

WhoIsJollyRoger.png

Not to conjure up old grudges towards Jolly Roger himself but, thee answer to thy question above ^ likely deserves an "aye" in my opinion (at least as far as the relationship between POTCO and Disney/Disney Interactive is concerned).
Today, it is no secret that a lack of vision contributed to some of the game's demise:duh: Recently, I found this again to be true (as shown from the video below, showcasing 'Disney Quest,' an indoor/interactive theme park):

(Hear something 'familiar' between 2:14 - 2:16 of the video)?

As a ex-POTCO player, what chaps my skin the most is that there readily existed opportunity - in-house opportunity - within the corporate blueprint of Disney itself to where POTCO could have been advertised and marketed to further expand the game beyond just a crumbling virtual world game into something impressive; I'm talking "Disney Infinity" impressive. :piratemickey:All that was required was for Disney/Disney Interactive to recognize such opportunity and to implement it effectively at their disposal. The vision for a better POTCO, afterall, was right at their fingertips, never more than a hired imagineer away!

*On a positive note, I noticed this morning (as I sought to again watch my Blu Ray edition of, 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides'), that there was some Disney propaganda (i.e., 'advertising') that fell out from the disc's inner casing and as I flipped through the material for the very first time since I had owned the disc, there was an entire page (page 5) devoted to POTCO much to my own surprise.:confused: There was even a space at the bottom of the advertisement to where the redemption code of "sword" could be used in-game to further promote the whole Blackbeard/Queen's Anne Revenge concept and to gain the attention of an audience unfamiliar with POTCO.

To balance out that joyous experience of my morning, I was quickly reminded however of just how profitable the POTC brand remains for Disney/Disney Interactive and why they continually rely upon the brand, in light of POTCO's closing.

(Video published on January 16, 2014)
~ It just doesn't seem fair, does it? :arrrrr:

The BENEFIT of POTCO, and one that really outdid the other competing DIMG/Disney Games is that they were the only movie based game they had (other than World of Cars). They could have easily made the propaganda for the game much bigger if they threw in some codes into BluRays or regular DVDs, specifically ones you wouldn't see on POTCO's Grog Blog. Not only that that but they could have advertized the game itself on movie cases as well as advertize on the disc. It is baffling to see that they never did take this into consideration as POTCO was by far much more fun and had way more potential to expand than any other game DIMG honestly had with the exception of (some might argue in the general gaming world which I would acknowledge too) say maybe, ToonTown. The game would still be around and even be flourishing especially with the up and coming movie now known as "Dead Men Tell No Tales" or POTC V (5). While it will end up being released in the next presidential election year (or for short 2016) they could have came up with plenty of propaganda to keep it going.

Heard something familiar at 0:34! Its the sound when loot/gold drops from POTCO! Was the sound you pointed out at 2:14. The cannon fire is the same, the water splashes are the same as ours was! About 1:30 I swear that is Tortuga or PR in the background. All those islands look familiar. About 3:05 I heard our Thunder. The strikes on their hull sound the same as well.

Wow that was a find with that video, Shamus The Brute!

I agree that they completely failed in the advertisement. I first saw commercials about the game before my youngest was born...That was 7 years ago! The commercials of course were on the Disney Channel, however parents often watched shows with their kids there. They could have advertised at the movie On Stranger Tides. Promotional tattoos could have been sent with all the mail from Disney Movie Club for the game.

I just irks me that they stopped caring about something that could have been so great for the whole POTC franchise. Then they go and reuse the sound effects from the game.... UGH!

they were the only movie based game they had (other than World of Cars).
Actually this isnt true. Pixie Hollow was base upon all the Tinker Bell movies. It was geared toward girls mainly. Those who were fans of Tink and her friends. And it was by far a much better game idea and game than The World of Cars Online. I was a founder on TWOCO and hated it. Never played. The concept was bad. I wanted to check it out for my kids, two boys.

Wow. Shamus, you indeed are the master at unlocking the secrets of POTCO. Those islandtextures/models and sound effects are the exact same as the ones we had in POTCO. Even the sky seems to be the old beta texture. At the end of the video it's cut off, but it clearly refers to the main enemy as Jolly Roger. However, this is really is no surprise to me. POTCO also used many of the Toontown assets and of course the same game engine. :rolleyes:

I do agree that POTCO's main downfall was the lack of advertising. They had so many options for advertising the game, they could have had every single POTC movie have a POTCO advertisement IN SITE, not tucked away, almost "hidden." Why would they hide it? Maybe they thought that the more people who played POTCO, the more people would find out the embarrassing "hidden" truths. :eek:

Actually this isnt true. Pixie Hollow was base upon all the Tinker Bell movies. It was geared toward girls mainly. Those who were fans of Tink and her friends. And it was by far a much better game idea and game than The World of Cars Online. I was a founder on TWOCO and hated it. Never played. The concept was bad. I wanted to check it out for my kids, two boys.

Never knew there were movies of that. Was not very knowledgeable of Pixie.

I do agree that POTCO's main downfall was the lack of advertising. They had so many options for advertising the game, they could have had every single POTC movie have a POTCO advertisement IN SITE, not tucked away, almost "hidden." Why would they hide it? Maybe they thought that the more people who played POTCO, the more people would find out the embarrassing "hidden" truths. :eek:
That is what I had always thought. :iagree:

When the company layoffs did occur which affected Disney Interactive (especially during March of 2013), there just did not seem enough "inside" support towards POTCO for the game to be corporately claimed.

Although POTCO did hobble along throughout much of 2013 and was tolerated by us players for these "hidden" truths/developmental failures, my feelings are that even amongst those few people whom were left employed by Disney/Disney Interactive following the layoffs whom supported the game were left to feel embarrassed by the outcome that had resulted. :oops: Thinking along this line, Disney's own PRIDE might have been the ultimate downfall to POTCO's fate. But even still, Pixie Hollows and ToonTown were also cancelled at the same time which reminds me that someone had turned his/her back on much of what Disney Interactive used to stand for, within the virtual world intellectual properties.

To the best of my knowledge, part of that decision must have come from the desk of Chris Heatherly, John Pleasants, or James Pitaro - aka "big-time" (Disney Interactive) decision-makers.

Although I was rooting against Infinity, the launch resulted in a big profit that had not been seen in the gaming department for a long time. Of course, POTCO had much higher revenue early on than at the end. Infinity will not be played in my home but it is helping raise the stock prices.

Although I was rooting against Infinity, the launch resulted in a big profit that had not been seen in the gaming department for a long time.
After Infinity was released in mid-August 2013, a "hope" that a few of us clinged to within the Revive POTCO petition effort was that the capital gains received by Disney through the release of Infinity would, in-turn, be dispersed back into the older DIMG gaming platforms (including POTCO). I, for one, even suggested that if Infinity's release had failed that the fate of DIMG would entirely be at risk.

idk. In my opinion, the closing of POTCO was especially heart-felt because of two things:
  1. As ex-POTCO players, we all "understand" for ourselves how the Caribbean is just too big of an atmosphere to not be included within a MMO platform (in contrast to say a mobile, social, or 'toybox' platform)
  2. The POTC brand has been allowed to flourish despite POTCO's closing. (Unlike ToonTown and Pixie Hollows, POTCO's closing was particularly detrimental due to the fact that the game's 'brand' is still being marketed across-the-board by Disney to where company divisions further capitalize on the public's interest towards 'our familiar' pirate-way-of-life)
*Although now it is apparent that Infinity's success is good for DIMG, not in a thousand years did I expect that Disney would in-turn announce the cancellation of POTCO so soon within that same time period. :facepalm:

I just heard that a friend somehow glitches into it and seen that there were tons of updates put into it like the volcano at padres is gone now and a couple days ago no enemies were now now all of them are there and he got banned today but before he did they sent a message to him on game saying you are banned until or if we reopen

I found the below link an "interesting" read:
Apparently the "Pirates of the Caribbean" attraction at Disney Quest that I have shared above (see main post/first 'video' listed) is being neglected by those responsible for it, at Walt Disney World. Go figure, aye?

Alas, it is challenging to be a pirate and gain the necessary attention these days :rolleyes:(unless of course you find yourself going to 'Infinity' and beyond)!

Back