Tips for New Writers

Gastro

Notorious Pirate
Ahoy, mateys! I'm Gastro and I'm here to tell you some tips on writing.

I've been shuffling through many threads for stories and I repeatedly see the same mistakes. So here I am to address them and help you realize them!

Now, granted, I'm not one to talk since I barely ever finish any of my stories. :p However, I have written enough stories to know where I've gone wrong. So, without further ado:

#1: Write with correct grammar.

Now, some of you out there may not think grammar is such a big deal on the Internet. And you'd be right, it's not!....

But on rare occasions, like writing stories, it's everything. You want people to be engaged in the story and to understand it. If they see you have absolutely no grammar, they'll be disinterested and find it unprofessional. I see a lot of this, so I thought I'd address it first.

#2: Make your chapters a satisfactory length.

I don't write very long chapters at all. However, no one wants to see only ten sentences in one chapter, even if it's a prologue. Don't worry about it, everyone makes the same starting mistake (well, not EVERYONE). This is most common with younger writers. Believe me, I've been there.

#3: Try not to make your story cliched.

What's most common in so many stories is that the plot is predictable. While this is entertaining in many cases, you want to be unique. You want people to be shocked or interested by your plot twists and you want them to have the DESIRE to follow your story. Who knows? You might even be the most popular writer on the forums!

#4: LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES!

I can't stress this enough. I wrote my first story at around 10 or 11 on these forums. I am now 14 and as I look back at them, they are HORRIBLE! I see where I made my mistakes and I try not to repeat them. I recommend you do the same so you know where you went wrong and you don't make the same mistake.

#5: Don't be upset.

If no one seems to be interested in your story, don't be discouraged! Chances are they might not have seen it yet. (This subforum isn't the most popular, mind you. Let's change that!) If you want people to know about your story, post on your profile! It'll gain more awareness everytime you post something about your story as it'll show up more in Recent Activity. Don't resort to spamming status updates or posts, however, as that is deeply frowned upon.

#6: Have fun!

Don't write if you don't want to. If you feel like you won't finish the story, don't start it. I should probably start taking my own advice. :p Most importantly, writing is about letting your creativity out and having fun.

And, now that I've listed my tips, I hope some writers have learned from this. Start writing your stories and be an inspiration!

Yeah, I'm kind of young. :p
I have made mistake #2 so many times. I mean, if you look at my vampire story, you'll see the prologue is about 3 sentences or so! And every time I see a story on a different website that has bad grammar, I basically face-palm. My pet peeve: bad grammar. It's one of the side effects of trying to be a good author, and frequently using spell check. :p

I feel I'm guilty of something else, namely, having 5 or more stories I haven't touched in at least a year
That's the same for me, the those are either on Microsoft Word or taking up some space in my notebook, and I keep on feeling bad, because I think theirs too many stories out there with humans in them, so I tried to make a story with wolves, but it didn't work out so well...

Also character development, proper format (paragraph indents, new paragraph every time the speaker switches, etc.), expanded vocabulary, descriptive and captivating sentences, well-thought-out plot, etc.

Whenever I finish up rewriting all the Pirates Online stories I've got for you (I accidentally deleted them off of my flash drive), you'll notice that I stick to both my list and Gastro's, although with them being stories for an online game, I don't take them all that seriously. My legit stories are hundreds of pages long and far better.

I believe I mentioned that I wrote a fifth Pirates of the Caribbean movie plot titled "Dead Men Tell No Tales" several years before a fifth movie was announced and given the EXACT SAME TITLE -_-. I edited that one a bunch, since it was pretty clichéd at first. Started over from scratch about four or five times before becoming adequately satisfied. Ended up with around 120 pages; a standard junior novelization. Eventually, it led me to begin writing a sixth story, concluding the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and taking place several years later when Jack Sparrow is in his late 50s to early 60s. I'll get around to diving into that story.

At the moment, I'm focusing on writing a fifth Indiana Jones installment. I'm about 80 pages in and aiming for 250. I've gone back and edited the crap out of each and every chapter...so far I've only reached chapter 5 of around...I wanna say, 10? Not sure. I had to watch the four other movies, particularly Raiders and Crystal Skull, multiple times to understand Indy's personality and all of that good stuff.

Dude, I'm getting off topic. My bad. Point is, a good story requires knowledge and strategy (and patience). I love writing. It's a great pastime. When I'm not at the gym, I'm writing or studying for my writing.

Last edited:
Another good thing is keeping something to write down the random stuff that comes to you. You never know if you'll use it, and how well it might for into your story.
That's why I have Google Drive and Google Docs downloaded onto my phone, I keep my stories/drafts in Google docs, as well as a separate Doc just for random dialogues I think of during the day, plots, plot twists, character quirks, etc.

It's always good to have something set to the side to put all of your random thoughts/possible additions into, rather than your actual story.

That's why I have Google Drive and Google Docs downloaded onto my phone, I keep my stories/drafts in Google docs, as well as a separate Doc just for random dialogues I think of during the day, plots, plot twists, character quirks, etc.

It's always good to have something set to the side to put all of your random thoughts/possible additions into, rather than your actual story.
I do that on Microsoft Word, because I don't have a Google account. It's very useful!

I've noticed myself mulling over ideas/concepts, plot twists, new characters, etc. while working out or working on my basketball fundamentals alone. Or if I'm in the bathroom showering and all that. It's usually when I come up with my best ideas.

Try it. You'll like it.

Also character development, proper format (paragraph indents, new paragraph every time the speaker switches, etc.), expanded vocabulary, descriptive and captivating sentences, well-thought-out plot, etc.

Whenever I finish up rewriting all the Pirates Online stories I've got for you (I accidentally deleted them off of my flash drive), you'll notice that I stick to both my list and Gastro's, although with them being stories for an online game, I don't take them all that seriously. My legit stories are hundreds of pages long and far better.

I believe I mentioned that I wrote a fifth Pirates of the Caribbean movie plot titled "Dead Men Tell No Tales" several years before a fifth movie was announced and given the EXACT SAME TITLE -_-. I edited that one a bunch, since it was pretty clichéd at first. Started over from scratch about four or five times before becoming adequately satisfied. Ended up with around 120 pages; a standard junior novelization. Eventually, it led me to begin writing a sixth story, concluding the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and taking place several years later when Jack Sparrow is in his late 50s to early 60s. I'll get around to diving into that story.

At the moment, I'm focusing on writing a fifth Indiana Jones installment. I'm about 80 pages in and aiming for 250. I've gone back and edited the crap out of each and every chapter...so far I've only reached chapter 5 of around...I wanna say, 10? Not sure. I had to watch the four other movies, particularly Raiders and Crystal Skull, multiple times to understand Indy's personality and all of that good stuff.

Dude, I'm getting off topic. My bad. Point is, a good story requires knowledge and strategy (and patience). I love writing. It's a great pastime. When I'm not at the gym, I'm writing or studying for my writing.
Very good tips, Jack. As a writer myself, I find the ever-present challenge is keeping the story entertaining. Comparing my stories from four or five years ago to my stories now, though, shows incredible contrast in the evolution of my writing.

BTW, I'd love to read your storylines for POTC 5 & 6 and Indy 5 if you're willing to share them.

Very good tips, Jack. As a writer myself, I find the ever-present challenge is keeping the story entertaining. Comparing my stories from four or five years ago to my stories now, though, shows incredible contrast in the evolution of my writing.

BTW, I'd love to read your storylines for POTC 5 & 6 and Indy 5 if you're willing to share them.
Buddy, the Pirates and Indy stories are months away from completion. Maybe even years. Keeping the story entertaining is the hard part, absolutely. One of the tricky parts is not running out of good, descriptive words, but all the while not making it too complex that it's boring. Well, it's tricky for me, anyways.

Last edited:
Buddy, the Pirates and Indy stories are months away from completion. Maybe even years. Keeping the story entertaining is the hard part, absolutely. One of the tricky parts is not running out of good, descriptive words, but all the while not making it too complex that it's boring. Well, it's tricky for me, anyways.
Well, if you ever finish them, I'd certainly like to give 'em a go. :)

Back