Screenshots TLOPO Development Screenshots

The Crew

TLOPO Staff
Ahoy, all! It's Mr. Dev again.

Earlier today in our TLOPO staff hub, we went on a little bit of a nostalgia trip, sharing our old screenshots from various points in the game's development. We had such a fun time going down memory lane, that we wanted to share it with you!

Over time, this account (may or may not be me, Mr. Dev, running it), @Stephen Teague, or @John Macbatten will post some fun BTS pictures never-before-seen publicly.

For today, I thought we'd start with some concepts and WIP screenshots from Hollowed Woods!

HOLLOWED WOODS - Event Rewards Store Concepts

Event_IconMockups.jpg

Event_LootMockup.jpg

Event_MaterialsPouchMockup.jpg

Event_VendorIconMockup.jpg

Event_VendorMainMenuMockup.jpg

Event_VendorStoreMockup.jpg

As I'm sure you can see, some stuff changed, some stuff stayed the same!

HOLLOWED WOODS - Decrepit Shop Development
Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 6.23.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 7.44.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.30.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 10.16.11 PM.png

So, what do you think? What other content would you like us to reveal? Lets know below!

Alright, we have SO much stuff to dump from all the years we've been working on this game, so I'm gonna post the rest from this "Hollowed Woods" series. I'll try to get some other images from other projects posted in batches every few days or so!

HOLLOWED WOODS - Decrepit Shop Development (cont.)

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 1.06.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 9.35.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 11.06.30 PM.png

And, finally, after a LOT of work that wasn't pictured...

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 11.35.49 PM.png

The final product!​

Alright, for today's upload, I'll be focusing on the development of Forsaken Shallows. In case it wasn't already obvious, Forsaken Shallows is a spruced up version of the old Tormenta Cave from 2007-2009.

FORSAKEN SHALLOWS - Cave Entrance

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 4.02.25 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 3.59.04 PM.jpg

A bit later, with finished rocks...

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 10.03.32 AM.jpg

FORSAKEN SHALLOWS - Initial Interior

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 6.35.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 6.45.03 PM.png

Old Tormenta Cave, while nostalgic, just didn't fit the creepy vibe of Cursed Caverns in our opinion. That's why we did a reskin of the model and added a bunch of new props. Old Disney caves worked a lot like jungles. No layout was unique. It was all copy paste. That's something we're trying to move away from. Ideally, every new area added to the game should be able to stand on its own.

FORSAKEN SHALLOWS - Bosses

There was a bug, or rather, oversight in Disney's code that caused all DJ bosses to immediately revert to an undead enemy type. We had to rewrite a fair amount of boss code in order to make your favs (Koko, Pal, Twins) actually functional.

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 8.04.50 AM.png

Here are some looks at the bosses when they were fixed:

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 8.46.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 8.35.03 PM.jpg

At this point, our texture artist had already reskinned Forsaken Shallows - as you can see, the rocks are darker now.

Palifico is up in his final spot, but his gold pile wasn't added just yet.

You may know Pal, Koko, and other bosses have their names drawn from Davy Jones' Crew in the movies, but Drizzle and Drench's names have a special callback as well. In the movies, they're just referred to as "The Twins," and we thought that wouldn't do, considering they'd be two separate bosses.

Drizzle and Drench are the original pre-release names for Spineskulls and Molusks.

FORSAKEN SHALLOWS - Decorating

Here are just a few progress screenshots of the area coming together with new props.

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 9.54.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 8.35.20 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 3.40.51 PM.png

Disney's Davy Jones model was rather buggy. As you can see, he didn't have a face.

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 3.53.09 PM.png

Here he is, now properly ghostly. Shortly after, we added the fire effect beneath his feet.

FORSAKEN SHALLOWS - Misc.

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 8.57.40 PM.png

This is an unfinished alternate version of the Rage Ghost called the Revenant - leftover by Disney. It drains your voodoo with a skill called "Phantom Reach" or "Phantom Touch." Horribly broken enemy. We toyed around with it a bit when making Cicatriz, but ultimately scrapped it, at least for now.

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 2.26.32 AM.png

Semi-early version of the Forsaken Shallows minimap.

FORSAKEN SHALLOWS - Weapons

Here are some screenshots of the new Cursed Blades in varying stages of completion. A lot of them were already in-game from Disney, but super unfinished. Names like Krakenslayer, Lost Blade of Leviathan, and more were already there for us. We just had to make the models and some of the stats.

Screen Shot 22222018-01-21 at 6.26.05 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 23333318-01-21 at 6.26.05 PM.jpg

Okay! I think that's it for Forsaken Shallows. One of our staff members dug up more progress screenshots from Hollowed Woods, I'll be posting those over the next few days before moving on to some of our other projects. If you have any requests for some BTS stuff you'd like to see, leave a comment here! I can't promise we've saved images on everything we've worked on, but we have a good chunk. ;)

Ahoy!

The game development and creation process is truly interesting, and I appreciate that you've taken the time to share this content with us.
While I realize the update was released hardly a week ago, would you be willing to share some of the processes that went into creating the Town Hall and Hollowed Woods redesign?

Thank you!

@Captain Cat Ask and you shall receive!

HOLLOWED WOODS - 2019 Update

There were a lot of progress pics for this one, so I just dumped them all into one album. If you want more info about one specifically, ask away! Happy to reveal (just about) everything from this project.​
Is the thunderbolt grenade a planned or canceled item? Or am I just woefully mistaken and it's already in the game

Hi! It's been a while.

Yes.jpg

Fragrance** Reeeeeee

I love how professional we are.

_______

ANYWAY....

Here's a look at our internal level editor / world viewer. Essentially, this program is a quick way for us to load up a location and look around as we build it, rather than having to load up the entire game each time.

7fcbbe1f8df925795583c40b061618e1.jpg

The pink and green boxes are collisions, essentially invisible walls that prevent you from clipping or walking through something. In PvP, we set these up so you can't shoot through them.

1a3120786e73c7e91b5adf3e1e687960.jpg

The numbers are UIDs or "unique identifiers." Every little item, effect, NPC, or enemy has its own ID that we can reference in the code.

The world viewer is based off an EXTREMELY old and rudimentary land-walker developed before Pirates Online Rewritten merged into TLOPO.

Also, while I'm here, I'll post a "coming soon" pic.

54079b2c4072150548142c7ddef70c79.png

This is a new "meetup" location that'll be coming to the Test Server very soon. Made by our environment artist extraordinaire, who likes to go by the name "Batman." The Caribbean Night outfit in Hollowed Woods totally wasn't made for him at all, nope...

I still need to code this up in-game and see how it runs... soon!

Back