TLOPO FPS and NVIDIA

Kate Goldwalker

Fairy Tail Girl
I recently updated my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics driver and suddenly my fps was below 40 where before it was always 50-60. Now, this wasnt the only game that I had noticed a weird lag issue for me... playing Fortnite, my fps was CRAP and normally I stayed at 60 (my settings in game was for 60fps). I knew it had to be the update on the graphics diver.

So, in TLOPO, I was triple checking that I had V-sync turned off.
Tested things with Custom Display settings, Anti-aliasing and Filtering under the Advanced settings for Display.
Then I started looking around for things in the control panel for NVIDIA.

First off, the GeForce Expierence will NOT recognize TLOPO, so you can't log in there and change settings for the game. Therefore, I had to open the NVIDIA Control Panel itself.

To find this on PC, in the search bar type Control Panel, and then open.
Select Hardware and Sound.
Select NVIDIA Control Panel.
A new window will open looking something like this:
a713d0f1981beed34a6593260b162435.png

Under 3D Settings, Click on Manage 3D Settings, and you'll see this:
adb825466559c643194522d5f4c5e6e3.png

On the right side, select Program Settings tab. Look for TLOPO. If you do not see it, click on Add and look for it listed there:
fb4bb520c1017858ed9e87d79e88dfb6.png

Click the Add Selected Program button at the bottom of that window. It will close and now you can customize the settings for that game for your NVIDIA driver.

Here is what I've changed on mine so far and I suggest that you do the same to get the max FPS you can for your device:
cf59f1e82efe4daeba905dbbc92b7fad.png

Max Frame Rate, select On (Use Global Setting is auto selected) and change the FPS bar to whatever level you want. I have mine maxed out.

Scroll down for the next changes...
9c5295ca7c0e0277140fbcf5bc0c1e40.png

OpenGL rendering GPU, change to YOUR graphics card listed there (Use Global setting is always auto selected).
Vertical sync (yes this is V-sync just like the option in game, and no need for it here either), select Off (Use Global setting is always auto selected).
WhisperMode... THIS is what was causing me to stay under 40fps on all games, which caused me a lot of lag..... Not happy with this option with the NVIDIA driver update.... It should be set to 40fps, CHANGE THIS. As you can see, I maxed mine out.

WhisperMode description:
7cb8af851a10daa28980b48393d21bcb.png

I just wish that I could max this out as far as the Max Frame Rate.

Do not forget to click apply to all the changes you've made. Play around with your settings and adjust them however you like. If you play other games on PC as well and they are being affected by these issues, you may want to apply similar changes to those games.

After my changes, I have over 100 fps at the avatar chooser screen, just under 60 fps standing on an island, over 30 fps on the busy Tortuga, and I NEVER drop below 20 while fighting among a lot of people. I still have to mess around with my settings and test other things out.

Good luck. Post any info on what you've changed. I hope this helps. Keep in mind you have to have a NVIDIA graphics card to use this step-by-step.

Last edited:
FWIW, it looks like this is a (relatively new-ish) feature Nvidia is pushing for users with laptops. Its intent is to quiet down the system's fans (which probably also in-turn dials back clockspeed, causing FPS to take a drop).

NVIDIA WhisperMode reduces fan noise from laptops while still providing an excellent gaming experience. This is achieved through the intelligent pacing of frame rates and efficient selection of game settings.

Combined, these methods reduce the amount of heat generated by the GPU which reduces the amount of heat that a laptop must dissipate. This means that the laptop fans can run at lower speeds and produce less noise – resulting in a more pleasant gaming experience for you, and anyone else in earshot.

It looks like this has been a feature since 2017, according to the following post: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-whispermode-for-laptops/

Huh, so this update for my lappy was to make me use it unless I wanted to change it..

Well, I dont like it. lol

And my computer runs quiet anyway. TLOPO doesnt use much of anything to run regardless, so this WhisperMode is actually more of a hindrance.

Thanks for posting this Kate. I haven't been able to play TLOPO for months due to issues with fps. I jump from 3 to 89 to 36 back to 89 back to 8 etc etc. I freeze, stutter just a mess and that's on a quiet server and I never had a problem before. I will give this a try! Thanks again for posting!!!

Thanks for posting this Kate. I haven't been able to play TLOPO for months due to issues with fps. I jump from 3 to 89 to 36 back to 89 back to 8 etc etc. I freeze, stutter just a mess and that's on a quiet server and I never had a problem before. I will give this a try! Thanks again for posting!!!
It's been a while. How'd the fix go if you tried it?

I recently updated my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics driver and suddenly my fps was below 40 where before it was always 50-60. Now, this wasnt the only game that I had noticed a weird lag issue for me... playing Fortnite, my fps was CRAP and normally I stayed at 60 (my settings in game was for 60fps). I knew it had to be the update on the graphics diver.

So, in TLOPO, I was triple checking that I had V-sync turned off.
Tested things with Custom Display settings, Anti-aliasing and Filtering under the Advanced settings for Display.
Then I started looking around for things in the control panel for NVIDIA.

First off, the GeForce Expierence will NOT recognize TLOPO, so you can't log in there and change settings for the game. Therefore, I had to open the NVIDIA Control Panel itself.

To find this on PC, in the search bar type Control Panel, and then open.
Select Hardware and Sound.
Select NVIDIA Control Panel.
A new window will open looking something like this:
a713d0f1981beed34a6593260b162435.png

Under 3D Settings, Click on Manage 3D Settings, and you'll see this:
adb825466559c643194522d5f4c5e6e3.png

On the right side, select Program Settings tab. Look for TLOPO. If you do not see it, click on Add and look for it listed there:
fb4bb520c1017858ed9e87d79e88dfb6.png

Click the Add Selected Program button at the bottom of that window. It will close and now you can customize the settings for that game for your NVIDIA driver.

Here is what I've changed on mine so far and I suggest that you do the same to get the max FPS you can for your device:
cf59f1e82efe4daeba905dbbc92b7fad.png

Max Frame Rate, select On (Use Global Setting is auto selected) and change the FPS bar to whatever level you want. I have mine maxed out.

Scroll down for the next changes...
9c5295ca7c0e0277140fbcf5bc0c1e40.png

OpenGL rendering GPU, change to YOUR graphics card listed there (Use Global setting is always auto selected).
Vertical sync (yes this is V-sync just like the option in game, and no need for it here either), select Off (Use Global setting is always auto selected).
WhisperMode... THIS is what was causing me to stay under 40fps on all games, which caused me a lot of lag..... Not happy with this option with the NVIDIA driver update.... It should be set to 40fps, CHANGE THIS. As you can see, I maxed mine out.

WhisperMode description:
7cb8af851a10daa28980b48393d21bcb.png

I just wish that I could max this out as far as the Max Frame Rate.

Do not forget to click apply to all the changes you've made. Play around with your settings and adjust them however you like. If you play other games on PC as well and they are being affected by these issues, you may want to apply similar changes to those games.

After my changes, I have over 100 fps at the avatar chooser screen, just under 60 fps standing on an island, over 30 fps on the busy Tortuga, and I NEVER drop below 20 while fighting among a lot of people. I still have to mess around with my settings and test other things out.

Good luck. Post any info on what you've changed. I hope this helps. Keep in mind you have to have a NVIDIA graphics card to use this step-by-step.
Hi Kate. You did this not too long ago but now I saw something that I'm not sure makes a difference.
The nvidea had shown launcher.exe when first opened, but upon doing the add.search routine, I noticed tlopo.exe but no launcher, well, maybe because launcher was already in the first window. BUT, I'm wondering if since I changed the launcher.exe one back when you posted this, that that wasn't the correct one. I'm thinking it wasn't. I'm going ahead and do your tweaks using the tlopo.exe one now. Note that tlopo is in lower case. I didn't have whisper mode, but also didn't have max frame rate.

I'll report back. I was getting only 30 frames up to now even with the new update.

Last edited:
Hi Kate. You did this not too long ago but now I saw something that I'm not sure makes a difference.
The nvidea had shown launcher.exe when first opened, but upon doing the add.search routine, I noticed tlopo.exe but no launcher, well, maybe because launcher was already in the first window. BUT, I'm wondering if since I changed the launcher.exe one back when you posted this, that that wasn't the correct one. I'm thinking it wasn't. I'm going ahead and do your tweaks using the tlopo.exe one now. Note that tlopo is in lower case. I didn't have whisper mode, but also didn't have max frame rate.

I'll report back. I was getting only 30 frames up to now even with the new update.
fps went up 30% at least. But I have everything turned up in the game settings except fancy loading screens. To make a better test I'd have to set all my game settings back to what I had before the update. Also, I had removed that offending background program just before so that could also cause a difference. I am not going to reload that program just to test the game, so I'm just going to enjoy the improvements.

The jury is still out as to why the POV in sailing looks different. I'll have to wait until tlopo gets the resolutions all back. Then I can probably know for sure.
I'm thinking kates settings will and probably did help. I'm also going to try to remove tlopo from my nvidia control and see what happens.

My nvidia graphic card version for a gforce gtx 750ti driver version - 25.21.14.1634
Control panel version 8.1.940.0
Hmmm, says driver date 10/10/2018. Thought I updated that last August.

Hey Squintz - still having fps issues on Tlopo but not other games. I honestly don't know how to fix. Some days I cna play others I go from 0.3 to 60. or 1.3 to 57 etc. Just crazy jumps.

Back