Toontown Rewritten

Captain Ghosty

Wanted Pirate
Okay since Toontown was recently closed by the same reasons like POTCO I noticed some Toontown fans are showing videos of this game called "Toontown Rewritten" I don't know what it is but it looks like Toontown is back up and running :)

rUn7WNH.png
This is fan made version of the game. It is currently in Alpha Testing by the creators and (I think) 100 people who won a registration key, to help test. Its in its very early stages and is barely playable by the public yet. (If I'm correct) It is yet to have a working street, and only has the Trolley, fishing, and communication working.

As for overall information about this project, it will be totally free to play according to their website. (I think it has to be to avoid copyright and what not) They will not accept donations. There are no other set dates for Beta releases or an actual release date. As for your toons you will have to start from scratch once again. (This in an effort to eventually help them release the game earlier, as they would not need to have the game fully finished)
They accept questions at support@toontownrewritten.com
I'm personally very excited about this project, and wish I could get into Beta testing. :p

I've been waiting to ask this for a while. Is it possible to do this with POTCO, as well? From what I heard, POTCO is a lot more complicated than Toontown, so it would be hard.

I've been waiting to ask this for a while. Is it possible to do this with POTCO, as well? From what I heard, POTCO is a lot more complicated than Toontown, so it would be hard.

Could it be done? Of course!
Will it happen? Probably not.

The process of making something like this is long, and never ending. You have to go through many legal things and so much more to make a project like this possible. Not to mention basically re-creating the game on your servers, and keeping it alive and running smoothly. As the game grows, the team behind it has to be twice as big, or really on top of things.

Another challenge, being non-profit. They can not accept money from people who wish to donate or make an optional monthly payment, if they do they will be considered as to making profit off the game, and that could result in a law suit, as the game is still Disney's intellectual property. So the money must come from the people behind the game, and only be put into the game.

Could it be done? Of course!
Will it happen? Probably not.

The process of making something like this is long, and never ending. You have to go through many legal things and so much more to make a project like this possible. Not to mention basically re-creating the game on your servers, and keeping it alive and running smoothly. As the game grows, the team behind it has to be twice as big, or really on top of things.

Another challenge, being non-profit. They can not accept money from people who wish to donate or make an optional monthly payment, if they do they will be considered as to making profit off the game, and that could result in a law suit, as the game is still Disney's intellectual property. So the money must come from the people behind the game, and only be put into the game.

I can fix that. I will become a POTCO Rewritten Dev and then I can rob a few pesky Abassans/Hackers (Cap'n Leon FOR EXAMPLE) Ik that live not too far from me as, after all, they are loaded to the ceiling with cash. xD

I can fix that. I will become a POTCO Rewritten Dev and then I can rob a few pesky Abassans/Hackers (Cap'n Leon FOR EXAMPLE) Ik that live not too far from me as, after all, they are loaded to the ceiling with cash. xD

If I were to make a POTCO version of Toontown Rewritten, I'd call it "Pirates of the Caribbean Online: Retold". It would be much harder to make than Toontown Rewritten. Why? Toontown was developed in 2003, and is therefore easy to recreate. POTCO, on the other hand, was made in 2007, and therefore has a much more difficult interface to recreate. I still would love to see POTCO remade, though.

If I were to make a POTCO version of Toontown Rewritten, I'd call it "Pirates of the Caribbean Online: Retold". It would be much harder to make than Toontown Rewritten. Why? Toontown was developed in 2003, and is therefore easy to recreate. POTCO, on the other hand, was made in 2007, and therefore has a much more difficult interface to recreate. I still would love to see POTCO remade, though.
yes potco retold sounds much better!! I wish somebody could bring back potco like it used to be :(

potco rewritten???
Bah did neither of you get the joke? Nonetheless, I understand the fact that it would take a while to remake POTCO as it is more complex and would probably take around my personal estimate of 5 Years.

If it's OK, I would like to say something on the subject of both Toontown and POTCO being "remade."

It is of my opinion that unless a already established gaming company or corporate entity (like Disney/Disney Interactive) is actually responsible for the oversee and development of such projects, chances are quite high that such (ex-player) gaming projects will burn themselves out within the short-term due to a lack of available funding.

idk. Maybe I am being quite cynical. *What I do think everyone is forgetting here is unless these TT/POTCO "rewritten" projects formulate a strategy at the beginning to sustain their development long-term, the acquisition of new funding and investment may level off, starving the project with little to no updates (which creates a lack of interest) to where an impression begins to circulate within the general public that the vultures have begun to position themselves overhead. :rolleyes:

A company or corporate entity already possesses the available funding (pre-development) to where, if needed, a safety-net exists to protect the project from unexpected happenings. Such financial backing also permits a greater sense of "reach" to acquire new, subscribing customers within the long-term. Nevertheless, I do admire those gaming projects though which have arisen with the hope of allowing many of us to relive the TT and POTCO experience. :piratemickey:

I asked the Toontown Rewritten Support Team if it was possible to remake POTCO and Pixie Hollow as they did with Toontown. This was their response.

Hey there, Jonah!

We uncompiled the Toontown client. With that and some Youtube videos from Toontown/POTC developers it was possible to understand how to rewrite the server from scratch.

It is possible to rewrite POTC too but we are only focusing on Toontown Online.

Our OTP server is public and can be find here, this is the common part between Toontown and POTC. You'll have to rewrite AI and CA part to get POTC back. Someone skilled enough in python can do it.

I don't think this can be done for Pixie Hollow because it wasn't using a server like this but was just a multiplayer flash game (I never played it).

See you around!

Nicolas, Toontown Rewritten Support

I don't know if someone would be able to get away with remaking POTCO exactly like Toonown Rewritten is doing considering Pirates of the Caribbean is a current IP that Disney is still using and making loads of money off of. Disney seems to be a lot looser in terms of who can use classic characters like Mickey and Donald (toontown), which is why Rewritten seems to be getting away with it (though it is still early, Disney might decide to harass them and shut the project down, though I hope to god that's not the case, big TT fan :D). Remaking POTCO might not be as simple as rewriting the script... however, as with Pirates of the High Seas, there are people remaking the game from the ground up with different characters, islands, and even a new engine to avoid any copyright crap... hopefully Toontown Rewritten is completed. It's awesome that TT is being remade the way it is.

Can anyone tell me the names of those developers responsible for TT Rewritten?

I play Toontown Rewritten to attempt to fill the void left by POTCO. It is better than nothing I suppose. They did a very good job with TTR. I have been with it since semi-open beta. It has been fun to see it progress.

I thought the game was still in beta...
It is still in an open beta at the moment. Anyone who wants to can make an account and go ahead and play. It is planned to go to full release when the game is working as intended and has minimal bugs. Because now it is very buggy especially for those who use mac and linux.

Back