Idea Trading/Market system

Would a trading and market update make TLOPO more interesting?

• Yes

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

burzum

Dockworker
Woo, alright. I'm a bit unknown here, but that's alright, we're all friends, right? Anyways, earlier today I was thinking about all the rare items and whatnot, and I thought to myself, "TLOPO's just ASKING to have a market/trading feature implemented." That being said, I do think a trading/market feature/system would make TLOPO a more intricate game for players trying to seek even more things to do with TLOPO. Prime example; Team Fortress 2. It has a massive trading and marketing community. You see, people are drawn towards features like this. It's one of those major features that make the game more diverse for players and it's basically something anyone can do.

Alright, let's go deeper into thought here; how is it going to work? Well, it's simple, here's how a market would work. Each item will be divided into subgroups; melee (daggers, cutlasses, broadswords, sabres), ranged (pistols, muskets, blunderbusses, repeaters), your voodoo weapons (dolls and staffs), and your ABSOLUTE FAVORITE ... clothes. The clothing subgroup is pretty straightforward, it'll contain every article of clothing (including jewelry and tattoos). Then there's the misc. subgroup which has those sea charts, rams, that stuff. Now, the market's going to have those tabs. In a separate screen/display, you'll have a list of each item corresponding to their subgroup.

So, broadswords with melee, muskets with ranged, and whatnot. Your cursor will have the ability to pull up the item's card once you hold the cursor over it. You'll be able to see two prices. Community prices and list prices. List prices will be prices shown by default and community prices will be shown by the LOWEST price. This is because the rarer the item, the higher the lowest price will be since people will want to make a profit off of those rare items. List prices are only used for "reference" and most (i'll touch on why i said most later on) items can't be bought by the list prices, so for example ...

...........[Item].............................................................................[Community Price] [List Price]

1. [Sabre A]........................................................................[2,000]......................[500]
  2. [Cutlass B].....................................................................[1,500].......................[200]
  3. [Broadsword C]............................................................[1,500].......................[450]
In the example shown, you can see that the prices are filtered by the highest community price (you can filter this by other ways, it's okay). It's easy to determine worth this way, because more than likely, if the lowest price is rather high, then the item is likely rare/expensive (obviously). Also, here's a nice catch. Default items can't be sold or traded. So don't you worry about seeing that rusty cutlass that Turner gave you back in the start of your journey in the listings! Now, once you select an item, a display will appear. You'll have the option to buy it at the community price or sell it for your own price (if you already have the item), and from there you do what you please. Best I point out, the item's card will be shown and under the card it will show the recent price (basically the price that it was last sold at). Of course, this is just a very basic idea, but it'll suffice for now.

Now we'll take a look at the trading feature. Now, the trading is a bit different, but it'll correspond. Now, remember what I mentioned about the recent price. Players will have the option to trade items with one another. Once a trade is started, each player will be shown a screen with a black space which resembles a wooden tabletop divided by a line. The player's inventory will be to the right of the area and their partner's inventory to the left.

It'll be your basic trading setup, you'll be able to go through your partner's inventory and whatnot and request an item. Here's why I told you to remember that recent price thing; when you go to request the item you want, you'll have the ability to view the recent price. That way, you won't have any confusion on the worth of the item you want. You'll also be given the overall value of both sides of the trade so there won't be any real confusion.

The trading aspect is actually rather simple, though to compensate with this "new virtual economy", some items will have to become even more rarer, and some items will have to stop being obtainable through drops. Alright, now I want to touch on why I stated that "most" items can't be bought by the listed prices. Reason why I said most is because with a new market needs to come limited items. I'm not talking about the monthly peddler items, I'm talking about limited by the number. These items are only able to be bought by the market and by the list price, so here's an example on how it might look like ...

............[Item].............................................................................[Community Price] [List Price]

1. [NEW! Pistol X]...........................................................[null]........................[1,000]
So, yeah. That /should/ be it, I know I got a bit carried away, but I wanted to thoroughly explain how a feature like this would work in TLOPO, and even better that I post it now since Alpha's over. So, yeah. That's the gist of it, tell me what you guys think about it.

Thanks. :gold:

Last edited:
What about a LOOT system like WoW, where weapon drops come in common to legendary for the existing weapons

Oh so you're saying each weapon is common-legendary on its own?

Not sure how I feel about that. Legendaries at this point are coveted and rare, so I think it would kinda offset the current balance to have every weapon possibly showing up as a legendary

Last edited:
I would find it interesting if each island had its own raw materials that it produces that could be bought at that island and traded for a higher price at another island. That way players could actually play the role of a trader buying and selling trade goods. The production could also be based off player owned and operated plantations, mines, forestries, hunting lodges, quarries. They could by land on an island and then according to the type of resources the island is rich in they will start up a operation producing trade goods. The run the operation there character either goes and plays a mini game or they higher npc workers to run it. The Goods are then sold by a npc commodity trader to players and are loaded up on their ship. The players then get in their ship and sail the seas to the island they wish to sell their trade goods at. Then to add another level of things players can own their own weapon shops which then produce weapons by useing the resources the player buys on the island from the commodities trader. Then they go to their shops and use recipes to make weapons to sell. If no players are buying weapons then maybe the pirate in a way to make some extra gold can fill a order for the Navy. These orders for the navy once full filled should show in the actual the game by a increase in navy troops or ships at sea. The back story behind this could also be that pirates are opening their own ships to try and lower prices due to the EITC monopoly. This would also means players who are merchanting or buying trade goods at one port and trying to sell them at another will be targeted by the EITC. The EITC will target these merchants because they wish to hold on to their monopoly and keep prices high.

I don’t know if people would also find it interesting if players could own shipyards and build ships for other players and also build ships for the navy if they wished to fill a order and make some money. Maybe players could also compare prices between other player's shipyards on repair cost.

trading sounds like a good idea! But maybe between guild members and each time you can request more things based on your guild position/ your participation in trades. Just my opinion :)

Back