Idea Two handed weapons and dual weilding.

This a good idea?

• Total voters

Devin Camary

Swashbuckler
Yes, that's right. I'm talking about two handed weapons, and dual weilding.

These aren't the "heavy" weapons that weigh 20 pounds. Actually, weapons like Zweihanders (two handed greatsword, and used in renaissance era) and Halberds were 10 pounds tops. So they weren't heavy, and relatively fast.

Here's the weapon classes I thought of for 2 handed use.

Longsword http://m.imgur.com/ef9qUgh
Greatsword http://m.imgur.com/y9Mek1y
Halberd http://m.imgur.com/lT5ziND
War scythe http://m.imgur.com/H2HYCDs
Spear (I'm sure you know what that is already)
Musket (It's a spear/gun hybrid)

Now for dual wielding swords...... It's better if you have a sword and dagger, sword and buckler, or two short swords. Because you could move the sword and dagger/buckler without them hitting each other.

Usually, in historical fighting, the dagger or buckler was primarily used for parrying, then attacking with the sword. But they could be used to harm or disarm the opponent.

Well technically there is already dual handed cutlasses with the Spanish undead.It would be interesting to see them as a new type of sword for the melee class as shorter swords that are somewhat between the damage of a cutlass and a broadsword. It seems much more piratey.

But by the way, I'm very sure they did not use medieval weapons in pirates of the Caribbean (at least not in the movies) so I don't agree on adding halberds, scythes and spears for lore reasons.

But by the way, I'm very sure they did not use medieval weapons in pirates of the Caribbean (at least not in the movies) so I don't agree on adding halberds, scythes and spears for lore reasons.

I do see how you would think that, but the latest these weapons were used were in the 17th century (1600-1699) so it may be possible that they could make an appearance?

The only two handed weapons I could truly see being used are the Spear and mabye....No, just a spear :)

I don't think any of the halberds or zweihanders should be added because they don't fit with pirates, but I would like these options:

Broadswords and Voodoo Staffs can be held with two hands.

Sabres, Pistols, Repeaters, Throwing Knives, and Daggers can be dual-wielded.

Dual wielding would be pretty great although i don't know how well heavy weapons would transition to the game without changing the way alot of the combat functioned but overall i like the idea

I don't think any of the halberds or zweihanders should be added because they don't fit with pirates, but I would like these options:

Broadswords and Voodoo Staffs can be held with two hands.

Sabres, Pistols, Repeaters, Throwing Knives, and Daggers can be dual-wielded.
That is true. But halberds were still used by ground troops back then, so maybe have only two handed axes for players, and give those other two handed weapons to the npc enemies

I do see how you would think that, but the latest these weapons were used were in the 17th century (1600-1699) so it may be possible that they could make an appearance?
But Pirates of the Caribbean takes place in the 18th Century, not the 17th Century, during the Golden Age of Piracy. So if we want to discuss accuracy, then implementing some of those weapons wouldn't make sense.

But Pirates of the Caribbean takes place in the 18th Century, not the 17th Century, during the Golden Age of Piracy. So if we want to discuss accuracy, then implementing some of those weapons wouldn't make sense.
Well the Galleon and Carrack were 16th century to the 17th century, so I'm positive that adding a bit more complexity to the weaponry.

Well the Galleon and Carrack were 16th century to the 17th century, so I'm positive that adding a bit more complexity to the weaponry.
I just don't think the halberd fits with the pirate theme, when those who don't know much about pirates think of them they think of things like cannons, guns, cutlasses, etc. not a traditionally medieval weapon.

I just don't think the halberd fits with the pirate theme, when those who don't know much about pirates think of them they think of things like cannons, guns, cutlasses, etc. not a traditionally medieval weapon.
Or there's the execution axe. NOT a death threat, I mean like a weapon you can wield. Because a lot of pirates had axes back then.

@Captain Redhorn Needs to be moved to TLOPO suggestions
I think this could be a good idea, not necessarily the Zweihanders or other large swords, but the dual wielding with a cutlass and a dagger and dual wielding pistols would be nice. For the axes perhaps we could use the boarding axes, I believe they're in POTCO's phase files, as well as a few other things that could go along with this. Halberds and pikes, not a big fan of because you would have to stand further back, and they would be essentially useless in close quarters.

@Captain Redhorn Needs to be moved to TLOPO suggestions
I think this could be a good idea, not necessarily the Zweihanders or other large swords, but the dual wielding with a cutlass and a dagger and dual wielding pistols would be nice. For the axes perhaps we could use the boarding axes, I believe they're in POTCO's phase files, as well as a few other things that could go along with this. Halberds and pikes, not a big fan of because you would have to stand further back, and they would be essentially useless in close quarters.
Yeah, I could see that now. But in the 1500's they had them on ships if I'm correct... Which may be the time Jolly Roger is from. Maybe has his goons have them?

Back