[Update][Xbox][PS3/4][MCPE][News] Minecraft 1.8 & Xbox One/PS4

Bart Gunshot

Site Founder
Since I am the Community leader for the Minecraft forum, I will be posting updates like the one below. These updates will cover the following:
  • Major updates, these will be marked with a [Update] tag.
  • Snapshot updates, these will be marked with a [Snapshot] tag.
  • Xbox, will be marked with a [Xbox] tag.
  • PS3/4, will be marked with a [PS3/4] tag.
  • MCPE, will be marked with a [MCPE] tag.
  • Other news, I will post it as a [News] tag. This will be news directly from Mojang only. Not news from Bukkit pertaining to Mojang.
These tags will most likely be combined like you see in this post. However, not quite as many as you see today, as I am covering anything that has happened recently.

Updates will be posted weekly on fridays. This means I will cover all that has happened in one week with a single post. However It will be organized to find what you need quickly and easily. They will be posted in the order shown above, with updates first and other news last. Also, links to all of what I have talked about will be included at the end of the post.

Last thing to go over is the formatting of the posts. I anything I personally write will be written in only bold formatting anything Mojang has said will be written in italics anything anyone else has written will be formatless. Spoiler tags will contain what the update or snapshot contains. Now that this is out of the way time for the first post!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Update] - Minecraft 1.8 "The Bountiful Update"
Minecraft 1.8 has come to the PC. This is the largest update in the history of Minecraft, hence the name, "The Bountiful Update."

The 1.8 update is now published to the launcher! Your game should be updated automatically.

See this post for a list of changes and features: Pre-release info

Get the cross-platform server jar here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/1.8/minecraft_server.1.8.jar

Report bugs here:

// The Minecraft Team
  • Added Granite, Andesite, and Diorite stone blocks, with smooth versions
  • Added Slime Block
  • Added Iron Trapdoor
  • Added Prismarine and Sea Lantern blocks
  • Added the Ocean Monument
  • Added Red Sandstone
  • Added Banners
  • Added Armor Stands
  • Added Coarse Dirt (dirt where grass won’t grow)
  • Added Guardian mobs, with item drops
  • Added Endermite mob
  • Added Rabbits, with item drops
  • Added Mutton and Cooked Mutton
  • Villagers will harvest crops and plant new ones
  • Mossy Cobblestone and Mossy Stone Bricks are now craftable
  • Chiseled Stone Bricks are now craftable
  • Doors and fences now come in all wood type variants
  • Sponge block has regained its waterabsorbing ability and becomes wet
  • Added a spectator game mode (game mode 3)
  • Added one new achievement
  • Added “Customized” world type
  • Added hidden “Debug Mode” world type
  • Worlds can now have a world barrier
  • Added @e target selector for Command Blocks
  • Added /blockdata command
  • Added /clone command
  • Added /execute command
  • Added /fill command
  • Added /particle command
  • Added /testforblocks command
  • Added /title command
  • Added /trigger command
  • Added /worldborder command
  • Added /stats command
  • Containers can be locked in custom maps by using the “Lock” data tag
  • Added logAdminCommands, showDeathMessages, reducedDebugInfo, sendCommandFeedback, and randomTickSpeed game rules
  • Added three new statistics
  • Player skins can now have double layers across the whole model, and left/right arms/legs can be edited independently
  • Added a new player model with smaller arms, and a new player skin called Alex?
  • Added options for configuring what pieces of the skin that are visible
  • Blocks can now have custom visual variations in the resource packs
  • Minecraft Realms now has an activity chart, so you can see who has been online
  • Minecraft Realms now lets you upload your maps
  • Difficulty setting is saved per world, and can be locked if wanted
  • Enchanting has been redone, now costs lapis lazuli in addition to enchantment levels
  • Villager trading has been rebalanced
  • Anvil repairing has been rebalanced
  • Considerable faster clientside performance
  • Max render distance has been increased to 32 chunks (512 blocks)
  • Adventure mode now prevents you from destroying blocks, unless your items have the CanDestroy data tag
  • Resource packs can now also define the shape of blocks and items, and not just their textures
  • Scoreboards have been given a lot of new features
  • Tweaked the F3 debug screen
  • Block ID numbers (such as 1 for stone), are being replaced by ID names (such as minecraft:stone)
  • Server list has been improved
  • A few minor changes to village and temple generation
  • Mob heads for players now show both skin layers
  • Buttons can now be placed on the ceiling
  • Lots and lots of other changes
  • LOTS AND LOTS of other changes
  • Removed Herobrine
  • Many bugs fixed.

[Xbox] Xbox One Edition now available hoo!

Yeay! Minecraft for Xbox One is available to download from Xbox Marketplace! Here are some questions and answers to celebrate.
I’ve bought Minecraft for my Xbox 360 but now I want it on my Xbox One. Help me!

• If you’ve bought Xbox 360 digitally, or played online with the the disc version, you can upgrade to Xbox One Edition for just $4.99. Log into the Xbox Marketplace to upgrade.
  • You can import your existing Xbox 360 world to Xbox One Edition. To do that, load up Xbox 360 Edition, upload your world to the Excellent Xbone Extra Cool Cloud (not the official name), then re-download it from inside Xbox One Edition.
  • All of your existing Xbox 360 DLC will work on Xbox One Edition.
  • You can’t play cross-platform between Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Sad but true.
I’ve never played Minecraft on my Xbox 360. I am exotic tree puncher? Where is gunz?

• Minecraft for Xbox One will cost $19:99 from the Xbox Marketplace.
  • It’s a friendly and fun game that’s very popular with cool people across the world.
  • It features sheep, other animals, blocks, and tools. You can build cool stuff. You can go on adventures with friends. It’s really pretty if you catch it at the right time. You probably know this by now, considering you’re on the Mojang blog, and I posted this information a few days ago when discussing other versions.
  • Xbox One Edition features bigger worlds and an improved draw distance than Xbox 360 Edition. If this doesn’t mean anything to you, don’t worry. Just load up Minecraft and have fun.
I hate Xboxes! Where’s the Sony love? I am angry about this.

It’s been a busy week! Have fun playing Minecraft and be nice to each other on the internet please.

Owen – @bopogamel and the Mojangers

[PS3/4] Playstation 4 Edition now available woo!

Yeay! Minecraft for Playstation 4 is available to download from PSN! Here are some questions and answers to celebrate!
I’ve bought Minecraft for my Playstation 3 but now I want it on my Playstation 4. Help me!

• If you’ve bought Playstation 3 Edition digitally, or played online with the the disc version, you can upgrade to Playstation 4 Edition for just $4.99. Log into the PSN store to upgrade.
  • You can import your existing Playstation 3 worlds to Playstation 4 Edition. To do that you’ll need to load up Playstation 3 Edition, upload your world to the Magical Minecraft Cloud Land (not the official name), then re-download it from inside Playstation 4 Edition.
  • All your existing Playstation 3 Edition DLC will work on Playstation 4 Edition.
  • You can’t play cross-platform between Playstation 3 and Playstation 4. Sad but true.
I’ve never played Minecraft on my Playstation 3. What Kreeper plox? Why are dig?

• Minecraft for Playstation 4 will cost $19:99 from the PSN store.
  • It’s a friendly and fun game that’s very popular with cool people across the world.
  • It features sheep, other animals, blocks, and tools. You can build cool stuff. You can go on adventures with friends. It’s really pretty if you catch it at the right time. You probably know this by now, considering you’re on the Mojang blog.
  • Playstation 4 Edition features bigger worlds and an improved draw distance than the Playstation 3 version. If this doesn’t mean anything to you, don’t worry. Just load up Minecraft and have fun.
What about Vita Edition? I want to play on my Vita.

• Minecraft: Playstation Vita Edition should be with us in a few weeks. As soon as we have a more accurate date we’ll let you know. Sorry for the delay. If you already own Minecraft: Playstation 3 Edition you get it for free.
What about the Xbox One Version? When it that out? I’m extremely angry about this.

• Don’t be angry. Minecraft: Xbox One Edition will be out this Friday. Then you can play it until your fingers drop off. Sorry for the delay, but releasing a game for multiple consoles around the world during the same week is really hard.

That’s it for now! Enjoy Minecraft, and be nice to each other on the internet please.

Owen – @bopogamel and the Mojangers

[MCPE] Pocket Edition 0.9.5 submitted to every store
Hey everyone!

We just released MCPE 0.9.5, another bugfix version for 0.9. This time, it may or may not be the last, but we hope so!

We found and squashed many nasty bugs still hiding in the very fabric on the game, so 0.9 should be now quite stable. Here are the bugs we fixed:

update: on Android, we released another version of 0.9.5 (0.9.5b? 0.9.5 bis? 0.9.5.2? whatever) which fixed a new crash and a few additional bugs. For iOS/Amazon users, this should change nothing!

0.9.0 is our biggest update EVER!

• Infinite worlds!
  • Caves!
  • Loads of new blocks and items including Monster Eggs and huge mushroom blocks.
  • Wolves! Tame a loyal companion.
  • Loads of new flowers! So pretty.
  • New mobs, including the spooky endermen and less spooky Mooshrooms.
  • New biomes from the PC version, including mesas, jungles, swamps and extreme hills.
  • Abandoned mineshafts, villages, and many other cool places to explore.
  • A brand-new “interaction” button. Never accidentally punch a sheep again!
  • New feature generation, including lakes, vines and monster rooms.
  • Many bugs fixed, and possibly a few added.
Bug Fixes

• biomes were not set correctly causing multiple crashes all around the game
  • fixed the grass color and added code to fix existing corrupted worlds
  • fixed a crash happening when killing a parent with kids
  • worlds don’t stop loading anymore when encountering a Stronghold
  • fixed a crash in the Furnace Screen
  • tiles are not be randomly immune to explosions anymore
  • fixed a possible crash in the chunk streaming engine
  • the game saves events happening before shutting it down more reliably
  • Creepers don’t explode after dying/too fast anymore
  • spiders don’t get stuck on ceilings anymore
  • mycelium spreads correctly
  • fixed the armor screen rendering, it won’t show items that have been worn already
  • entities (and the player) will not enter unloaded chunks anymore, preventing jittering
Tweaks

• the game spawns way less mobs, and despawns older mobs
  • increased the health of all mobs to PC values
  • low-end devices get a warning when trying to create an infinite world
  • the game will try to fix corrupted levels before giving up now
  • fixed the size of the progress indicator when hitting a block
Bug fixed in 0.9.1 (Apple users will receive these fixes in 0.9.2)

- Fixed a huge memory leak affecting all devices
- saving chunks correctly when only block brightness changes
- fixed a crash when tapping empty slots in the crafting grid
- fixed monster eggs not spawning mobs when difficulty is set to Peaceful
- entities on fire don’t crash the game anymore
- fixed a potential game lock-up when quitting a world
- single core devices will now show the loading screen too
- reduced RAM consumption by some ~10 mb
- fixed a potential crash with Mob Spawners
- fixed a random crash in the movement code
- mob spawners save the mob type they have been configured to spawn
- fixed a crash on application shutdown
More Bugfixes

- (Android) fixed a really nasty bunch of problems caused by locking the device like freezing, crashing, corrupting the world and more
- (Android) fixed a bad graphics corruption issue (missing chunks, corrupted chunks and animals) that happened when switching away from the game
- fixed chunks not loading in multiplayer when the client device is slower than the server
- fixed a crash when loading flat worlds after updating from 0.9.0/2
- fixed a possible server crash when a player disconnects from a multiplayer world
- fixed a possible crash or corruption when playing in multiplayer as a client
- Fixed Bryce Mesa biome, now they actually spawn!
- fixed fountains’ water in strongholds
- fixed some small artifacts items held in hand (torches, etc) and clouds
- (Fire TV) fixed missing textures

And we made a few tweaks, too:

- Players that have been placed at extreme heights by the respawn bugs are now placed back at y=130
- (Android) the game doesn’t waste battery power and really stops rendering now when in the background
- not getting stuck anymore in the “Looking for Server” screen if the server is full
- animals are never despawned, again

We’ve just uploaded this version to every store, so it should be out on Google Play soon and on Apple, Amazon and Samsung stores soon-ish!

Jens – @jeb_, Johan – @jbernhardsson, and Tommaso – @_tomcc

[News] Minecon 2015
Hey everyone!
I’ve been getting a lot of questions about MINECON lately, because before this time last year everyone knew the date and location and ticket info for MINECON 2013. While we don’t have a set date for the next MINECON just yet, I wanted to let everyone know that it won’t be until some time in 2015. I’m shooting to have it in the spring in London!

While we’d love to do MINECON every year and it’s the only event we do as a company, we want to make sure we can give it the attention it needs, and that means that springtime next year will work best!

As soon as I have confirmed information it’ll be out there. We always announce as soon as we confirm with the venue and have a signed contract, but never before, because we want to make sure we can follow through with the event and we never want people to start planning to attend something that might not happen. So watch out for information in the coming months!

Vu – @vubui

Links for this week's post:
Minecraft 1.8 --
PS4 --
Xbone --
MCPE --
Minecon 2015 --

At last, Minecraft is 1.8 though unfortunately it could also very well mark the collapse of it. As I posted in the Bukkit thread earlier, it upsets me the disregard of the community's interests in the legal battle between Bukkit & Mojang/Minecraft. Hopefully things can be brought back to the way they flowed but that is not likely at the current moment.

At last, Minecraft is 1.8 though unfortunately it could also very well mark the collapse of it. As I posted in the Bukkit thread earlier, it upsets me the disregard of the community's interests in the legal battle between Bukkit & Mojang/Minecraft. Hopefully things can be brought back to the way they flowed but that is not likely at the current moment.
Yeah. It's a shame. Bukkit is dead there is really nothing anyone can do to bring it back . However Forge developers, Spigot developers, Bukkit developers, and many other Minecraft mod creators are working on a replacement at this very moment. Called currently called "sponge" find out more here. There are some great developers here, including sk89q developer of World Edit and World Guard.

It's definitely not the end. Just a new beginning, a new Plugin API will allow for them to fix the things bukkit did wrong, make it faster, and generally better. 1.8 will most likely be skipped on a functional plugin server software, depending on how long it takes for 1.9. Who knows maybe 1.9 will be the release of the long awaited official plugin API. Large Minigame servers such as Hypixel can still be connected to with a 1.8 client due to them downloading the newest Spigot release before it was taken down.

I and many others still love Minecraft. And we understand that plugin servers are a HUGE part of the game. We will not let one person's selfish actions ruin many other's passions, fun, and possibly main source of income.

Someone's been busy. Nice job
Thanks. :D

It's one giant mess, full of misunderstandings, mistakes, and issues. I never thought I'd see the day Bukkit fell apart, and I'm shocked it all fell apart so quickly.

Yeah. It's a shame. Bukkit is dead there is really nothing anyone can do to bring it back . However Forge developers, Spigot developers, Bukkit developers, and many other Minecraft mod creators are working on a replacement at this very moment. Called currently called "sponge" find out more here. There are some great developers here, including sk89q developer of World Edit and World Guard.

As you said, It's most definitely not the end. This is exactly what I figured would happen, either Spigot/Bukkit would continue and win the fight, or someone would continue the projects in some form or another. Nice to see someone is working on a replacement, can't wait to see it.

It will kind of suck though, since any Bukkit plugins likely won't work, and will need to be recoded, unless the replacement uses the same API, which I don't think is very likely.

I'm still hoping Bukkit/Spigot make it, but it doesn't look good. :(

P.S.

Thanks for the link/info on "Sponge"… Didn't even know it existed.

Back