Using guns on All Enemies!

Should the Pirate Code Be Shot to Death?

• I want guns to be useful

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I want Disney realism

Votes: 22 71.0%

• Total voters
People really don't understand the law at all. Disney can only claim damages in any lawsuit if they can show financial loss. If they are not publishing their own pirates game then anything tlopo does can't be cutting into their profits. As long as tlopo doesn't charge money for playing the game, then it falls under the category of "fan fiction". Tlopo can change,anything they want to about the story or game mechanics with no fear of being sued for financial damages. This includes having pirates shoot other pirates with guns....o wait we can already do that.

Minecraft is rated for 7 year olds to play yet it is easily modified to allow players to shoot each other with guns.
There's plenty of enemies who shoot at us. At least allow us to shoot back at those particular enemies.

I doubt disney even cares what the staff does with this game since there's a club penguin private server that has nameglows for 5 dollars. Honestly what would be the point of taking legal action against a team that doesn't have millions of dollars and disney could shut this game down since they still own all the rights. I just have my doubts that disney would ruin this game solely based on the fact that players can attack human enemies with guns.
Nobody knows, right? It basically comes down to prudency and the “need” to not poke the Mouse in a such a way as to warrant them raising an eyebrow.

As soon as *ANYthing* put out there would, at ANYtime, raise ANY doubt by Disney to question TLOPO’s decision making...the remake is @ risk. This is especially true since Disney funnels so many upper managerial people to where job positions are constantly being rotated. (Constant rotation in job tasks and responsibilities creates fewer people whom would actually sympathize towards what a remake itself is doing and...that is separate from the law itself [which is already one sided against remakes from occurring]).

~ Don’t misunderstand and don’t be deceived!!! *Profit loss alone is not the sole concern of why a big corporation would (and could) pounce upon something going on which they haven’t explicitly gave permission. Trust me, I have direct experience in stating this because I have seen and am experiencing this currently with the employer I am lucky enough to be affiliated with. (R.E.P.U.T.A.T.I.O.N. of a company is just as important as profit margins)!

Altering how Disney approached in-game violence (by the shooting of guns @ ‘people’ in general within TLOPO) is a “reputation thing” for them if it were to be known that such practices were occurring. And so, WHY would you want to think any differently given the potential of risk (of the potential of such loss) given your pirates’ in-game efforts and progress made thus far at this point? If I were playing TLOPO or any other remake...I wouldn’t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pirates can shoot other pirates in PVP; true. But, pirates in PVP also take on a “undead” skeleton look which was explicitly designed by Disney devs for just that reason. (POTCO dev, Mike Goslin, discusses this and other points made about violence in-game via this audio link).

People really don't understand the law at all. Disney can only claim damages in any lawsuit if they can show financial loss. If they are not publishing their own pirates game then anything tlopo does can't be cutting into their profits. As long as tlopo doesn't charge money for playing the game, then it falls under the category of "fan fiction". Tlopo can change,anything they want to about the story or game mechanics with no fear of being sued for financial damages. This includes having pirates shoot other pirates with guns....o wait we can already do that.

Minecraft is rated for 7 year olds to play yet it is easily modified to allow players to shoot each other with guns.
You are quite wrong about copyright law. It is very vague and there is much president in many directions in cases such as this. I would say that while it is unlikely that Disney would try to shut down TLOPO as it is, because as you imply it would be difficult for them show actual damages and with the current state of the game it would be unpopular with Disney's fan base, once TLOPO goes down the path of changing the core values in the game Disney would then have much more leverage to claim damage to their brand and garner support from their fans in such a move. As it is it is not clear what a court would say about TLOPO should Disney sue but all Disney would have to do to change that would be to reopen the game, they have the files and could open it with one guy and one server and then there would be no question that Disney would be able to claim damages and get an injunction to shut TLOPO down. There is no question Disney is capable of shutting TLOPO down anytime they like what is questionable is their resolve to do so when it is their own fans recreating their work because they love it and Disney is not currently planning to use the work again either. Should Disney decide to use the work again or think that there is reason to believe that TLOPO is damaging their brand it will be good bye TLOPO with the quickness.

Back