What are you doing this Christmas?

Luna Storm

Forum Mod
Once again Christmas is near.

What are you doing for Christmas 2018? Is there a special Christmas tradition you have with family and loved ones? Are are you doing something different this Christmas or maybe you have additional family member to share the holidays with you this year?

For us, this Christmas is going to be very strange and possibly very hard, or even sad; as its going to be the first Christmas without my dear beloved dad.

I have always spent Christmas with my mum and dad (after my siblings left home.) and for the past 18 years we have had Rascal (Savvyrascal) with us. <3
My dad and Rascal would be in the living room, watching TV and chatting about a wide range of subjects and having fun, Me and mum would be doing the Christmas dinner and joining the guys for some TV and a good natter regularly. (The guys always offer to help in the kitchen though :)) We never really played any games as a family because dad was never much into playing board games. We did get him to play Trivial Pursuit a few times though, and even the quiz game 'Buzz' once :D
When I was little, one of the biggest things I looked forward to was that my dad would play a board game with me - which never happened otherwise, lol. Presents were exciting, but for me Christmas was playing a game with my daddy! <3
I think this year we will have to add a few games into our festivities.

Food wise - we always have a traditional British Christmas meal. Stuffed turkey with roast potatoes, brussel sprouts, roasted parsnips and of course gravy with a nice palate cleansing wine. We are not big eaters so we don't have the room for any puddings or dessert but we may nibble on an assortment of cheeses, crackers and nuts throughout the day.
This year has been very hard to even think of having an Christmas dinner, or festivities at all since my fathers death was not long ago. Dad would not want us to give up Christmas because he is not here in the physical sense. He is with us all the time and he will be with us as always this Christmas too, just not in the way we are used to.

My mum was very reluctant, so I said "Why don't we make it different and have a duck instead as an Christmas bird?".... This seemed to work. I thought about how to approach the subject with my mum for 2 weeks and came to the conclusion - When you lose someone that is such a huge part of your life, the hardest thing to do are things that never change or that have been habitual. It just feels wrong and painful.
So by having duck instead of a turkey is, already of itself totally different; and to be honest, probably something we would have never done. And by arranging some games we could play, again changes the tradition we are used to. So (I'm hoping) it will take a little of the heartache away during the holidays.

I say this now, but of course I don't know how it will go when the holiday arrives. But so far me, my mum and Rascal are looking forward to taking on the challenge of cooking a bird we haven't attempted before - and lets face it, it is a totally different bird as its fattier but still can become dry if not done right lol.

We also have a new family member with us this Christmas. We have Tamzine (Taz), who is a (now) 15 week old Staffordshire Bull Terrier. She is the most spunky little girl I have ever come across and I should know, as I have grown up with many German Shephards, Siberian Huskies, and Boxers - all from puppy. I also have been in pet shop and animal rescue work for over 18 years.
Her teeth are razor sharp, and her jaw is already super strong. She IS getting better and shes only a baby so we know she is going to be a wonderful & loving member of our family - Once she has got over this puppy stage <3

On a side note.... I am also making warm slippers from donated wool to go to the hospital's Cancer Ward patients for Christmas.

Wishing you, and your families a very Happy Holidays - whatever they may be and however you may spend them! <3
L.S :snow:

Before I list any traditions of my own, I am very sorry for the loss of your father, and it was brave to share something like that here. My condolences. <3

As for the main meal, we tend to switch the bird/meat that we cook every three years.
00-03 - Turkey
04-06 - Ham
07-09 - Venison
10-12 - Duck
13-15 - Turkey
18 - We're thinking about doing a Turducken, as we're going to have family and a few extra neighbors who've just moved into the neighborhood this year over. It's a ton of white meat, but it sounds delicious depending on how you make it!

We're on the same note in regards to playing Board Games since my mother never really had interest, but we do tend to go down to visit family after we've had our own Christmas dinner, "Cena de Navidad". The adults sit around drinking small amounts of family vineyard wine and talking about other members of the family, or accomplishments they've done, and just a general sense of bonding.

As well, my grandmother tends to setup a little one-stop shop outside of her house during the holidays with the occasional knitted blanket, a pair of shoes or the likes, since it is an older area and some people need some extra help.

Happy Holidays, everybody! And Feliz Navidad to any who celebrate it! ;)

Luna I am sorry about your Dad!! I lost my son(he was 33) this Summer so this will be a very tough Christmas for me also. We spend "Yule" with my chosen family since we moved from the northern US to the southwest & we celebrate 12 days of Yule starting the 20th thru NYE. We do some type of activity & take turns hosting, we have a traditional meal on Christmas & a huge party on NYE as well with a big bonfire too. I am grateful for my chosen family & my pirate family too <3

This year, Christmas for myself will be quite different. My “own” entire family will be scattered about (I have 5 kids and currently going through a divorce).

I could go further into detail but when you get at this stage in Life...it’s highly important to keep looking forward. ***For the record, I don’t wish on anyone to have to endure a divorce. Do what needs done to work things out (the best ye can), savvy?

This year, Christmas for myself will be quite different. My “own” entire family will be scattered about (I have 5 kids and currently going through a divorce).

I could go further into detail but when you get at this stage in Life...it’s highly important to keep looking forward. ***For the record, I don’t wish on anyone to have to endure a divorce. Do what needs done to work things out (the best ye can), savvy?
I went through a divorce years ago, raised 5 kids alone. Hoping things end up Ok for all of you! Wishing you well this holiday season <3

Wow. It seems 2018 has sadly been a very harsh year for many.

My deepest condolences on your loss @DebiBug . My mother has lost 2 sons. One at the age of 18 (when I was 5) and the other at the age of 38 (3 years ago) now has only me and my elder sister. I am astounded and so proud to witness the strength that she has shown every single day and I am sure that with enough time the pain will become more manageable for you aswell <3 It never leaves you but you do gain strength from that love as time goes on.

@Shamus The Brute I'm so sorry to hear about your divorce, again it is very painful thing for the heart to endure. In time I hope you find that person who is just waiting out there to meet you so you may start a new wonderful life together. Every one of us have these people out there. It's just a question of when fate decides to connect us <3

@Misha I love the idea of switching up the festive meal! I must say I misread Turducken and had to re-read it LOL! I must look that up as it sounds very interesting :)

To all of you, I hope you are surrounded by strength and love on the holidays and I will be sending mine to you also during the season! <3

Wow. It seems 2018 has sadly been a very harsh year for many.

My deepest condolences on your loss @DebiBug . My mother has lost 2 sons. One at the age of 18 (when I was 5) and the other at the age of 38 (3 years ago) now has only me and my elder sister. I am astounded and so proud to witness the strength that she has shown every single day and I am sure that with enough time the pain will become more manageable for you aswell <3 It never leaves you but you do gain strength from that love as time goes on.

@Shamus The Brute I'm so sorry to hear about your divorce, again it is very painful thing for the heart to endure. In time I hope you find that person who is just waiting out there to meet you so you may start a new wonderful life together. Every one of us have these people out there. It's just a question of when fate decides to connect us <3

@Misha I love the idea of switching up the festive meal! I must say I misread Turducken and had to re-read it LOL! I must look that up as it sounds very interesting :)

To all of you, I hope you are surrounded by strength and love on the holidays and I will be sending mine to you also during the season! <3
Thank you Luna <3 Shamus, it took me 12 years but I found my best friend & we will be together 15 years on Valentine's! When 1 door closes another opens! <3

My heartfelt condolences for your losses. It REALLY has been a dark year.... For us, the loss of Luna's dad, who passed away on my mum's birthday.... And also sadly my mum, who passed away in February this year. It's been very difficult indeed. But as Luna has said, they'll still be here, just not in a way we are used to. Who knows.... Perhaps they will pop by for Christmas, if they get the chance.
I really hope you all have a fantastic 2019,
Rascal

My heartfelt condolences for your losses. It REALLY has been a dark year.... For us, the loss of Luna's dad, who passed away on my mum's birthday.... And also sadly my mum, who passed away in February this year. It's been very difficult indeed. But as Luna has said, they'll still be here, just not in a way we are used to. Who knows.... Perhaps they will pop by for Christmas, if they get the chance.
I really hope you all have a fantastic 2019,
Rascal
I am sure they will Savvy! I Believe! Hugs <3

Back