What do you think?

Remy

Wanted Pirate
What do you think would've made Pirate's online one of the best games out there? Besides trading, Better Graphic's, & More update's. Comment on what you think please.

Better graphics would be a big one, maybe more security and system improvements, i.e. better account security, customer service,etc.

Looting was also a big thing so I think if they made more looting stuff people would be happier. A ship of the line was also a big one on most of our lists.

Pretty much - more content and security

Better security is the number one improvement needed in my opinion.

Of course nothing will protect you against stupidity. Those who were gullible enough to give out their account information were 100% at fault for losing their hard work.

But for those who were hacked, I think there are MANY measures they could have easily taken to prevent that, as I have stated in other posts.

Another improvement would be to actually FIX the persistent bugs. For example the DC while playing Cannon defense. That bug was around the entire time after the game was introduced, despite countless bug reports. It took me over a year to get Rev ram due to that horrid, aggravating bug. If they couldn't fix it, the LEAST they could do would be to put you back in your crew and retain the cannon level you had at the time of the DC.

I could probably write a novel on this topic but I'll stop here.

/endrant

Ahhh I don't know why people say security wasn't efficient enough! As Cougar stated nothing will protect you against stupidity. However, I do believe that the 80% of the players whose accounts were stolen had to do completely with their laziness. Hacking procedure isn't as easy as you think it is. People were idiots to give their account informations just because they could not find a "legendary" weapon, if you know what I mean...

When it comes to bugs and glitches, I absolutely had no problem with them. Cougs, I do believe that the problem you are referring with Cannon Defense only had to do with runtime errors. I have posted before a guide on how to fix those errors; without putting your efforts onto a waste, check it here if you mind.

What I would like to see is better graphics and probably more story content alongside with creative ideas. (More weapons, new islands,..)

Overall, my experience with POTCO was good and I can't really complain much. I only wish I had a more powerful system as the game was unstable from time to time.

Other than a more secure (POTCO) game, I feel strongly that POTCO would have been taken more seriously due to Disney "advertising."

*Think back to all of the "Club Penguin" and "Disney Infinity" advertising/marketing propaganda you have witnessed within the past year or so. With all of the $ money $ Disney Interactive apparently has at its disposal to promote each of those games, POTCO would have likely achieved a healthy boost on similar level if advertisement would have been directed more towards POTCO than it had. For one thing, Disney's marketing and advertisement reach is beyond any (other) entertainment and multimedia company which currently exists out there.

Below, is a quote I found today and it is a quote I wish I could stick to the back of the shirt of just about every Disney Interactive executive or employee (via yellow, sticky 'post-it') whom is not laid-off and to whom had a hand, at some point, towards the decision-making directed at POTCO.
light.jpg
:vader:

Better security is the number one improvement needed in my opinion.

Of course nothing will protect you against stupidity. Those who were gullible enough to give out their account information were 100% at fault for losing their hard work.

But for those who were hacked, I think there are MANY measures they could have easily taken to prevent that, as I have stated in other posts.

Another improvement would be to actually FIX the persistent bugs. For example the DC while playing Cannon defense. That bug was around the entire time after the game was introduced, despite countless bug reports. It took me over a year to get Rev ram due to that horrid, aggravating bug. If they couldn't fix it, the LEAST they could do would be to put you back in your crew and retain the cannon level you had at the time of the DC.

I could probably write a novel on this topic but I'll stop here.

/endrant
I agree. One thing i find very helpful that star wars has is a security key. Basically if you choose to use one, you download an app that gives you a random 10-digit code that lasts for about a minute and you use that random code, as well as your username and password to log in

I agree with the above but would also have liked to see gradual progression so the long time players did not get bored as easily. Maybe once per year add a new area/areas and increase the cap level by 10. Maybe even have one area that is too big for the biggest pirate that hints at the next upgrade/expansion area. Something needs to challenge people or boredom will chase them away.

Um......Hmmm....i think More pvp arena Choices and a option thing Before the Pvp match were you could Set it for only certain weapons that you want allowed in the match.Because i hated when you said cutlass or dagger only and someone come in there using a gun Or a Doll or broadsword.

I would say that adding a new island or two would have hyped things up a bit. Maybe it could be a special island, with new quests, unique enemies, even a new weapon or boss or two. I would certainly would have checked that out if Disney had added that!

better security
actually trying to make players happy

There are things Disney would not do(like trading,mail) because they did not want to be "like other games" that were not "kid friendly".

Ahhh I don't know why people say security wasn't efficient enough! As Cougar stated nothing will protect you against stupidity. However, I do believe that the 80% of the players whose accounts were stolen had to do completely with their laziness. Hacking procedure isn't as easy as you think it is. People were idiots to give their account informations just because they could not find a "legendary" weapon, if you know what I mean...

Not to be in the mood to argue over something, but when you give mention of 80% this only leaves 20% of players whom were at fault at manipulating others into giving up their information. *My friend, that ratio does not match the understanding that I have of the actions of a particular someone whom was keen within the area of role-playing, on POTCO.

I know you are only trying to make a point but the ratio given above ^ does not even include those off-game, "trading" of POTCO accounts that went sour between individuals (where one individual 'stole' from another before the exchange/trade was completed). Sadly, this type of activity happened all the time between players.

*In both instances, POTCO came out on the losing end because:
  1. POTCO failed to receive the trust/reassurance from players that the game was "safe" to play (due to the level of 'manipulation' that found it's way into the game via such activity)
  2. POTCO failed to receive the additional funding it could have made (via unlimited subscriptions needed) for outsiders responsible for the game to possibly reassure themselves that the game was an asset, and not as a loss
While it could be said of #2 above that Disney nevertheless took the money and ran, do you think it also helped that POTCO players where ripping Disney Interactive off via such "trades/stolen accounts?" :confused:
I agree with the above but would also have liked to see gradual progression so the long time players did not get bored as easily. Maybe once per year add a new area/areas and increase the cap level by 10. Maybe even have one area that is too big for the biggest pirate that hints at the next upgrade/expansion area. Something needs to challenge people or boredom will chase them away.

What you touch upon is quite interesting because it does reminds us that while either another remake or POTHS might become quite successful, each game is only successful enough to the point to where the "manageability" of either game is effective or not.

*If there is one thing that I have learned as an adult in owning a house...that is...do I have what it takes to manage the property on a day-to-day basis for the long-term (as opposed to just the 'short-term')? :confused:

I loved the lore, the whole story behind quests. I would read every single one. Some people I know just click through them and go kill whatever they're told to, but I actually like hearing the story and I guess in a sense "living" the experience. A selling point for me would have been another quest line like "The Black Pearl." I know there was speculation back in the day about another one coming about but it never quite made it like many other things.

The game had always seemed to come up short on cash. That was usually the reason behind every highly requested feature not making it into the game. For example the Ship of the Line, only 3 made it into existence on the Test Server and they couldn't all sail at the same time, it would crash the server/game. Then the Disney team quietly refused to do anything about it, and scrapped that project. (As a side note I got to drive a Ship of the Line, and it wasn't all that great. It was like driving a cruise ship with cannons)

There were many things that could have been better, but as I think about it I was quite content with what we had. It become more about being social, and doing things together to have fun, rather then going out and playing with the newest addition to the game. I guess I should quit rambling...
:p

Of course trading would be the #1 thing that would make it better. However, more weapon models would have been nice too. There were a lot of repeats, especially swords. Also, if ship customization came out earlier, I think it would have brought in more UA members. I also always wanted to have a Captain's Quarters on the ship, maybe customizable as well. And I agree with everyone else as well; a stronger security system in the game would have made a safer environment for the community. :)

The only problem with increasing the level cap is that after 2-3 years, it becomes an extremely long project to make a new character and level him/her up.

Also, if ship customization came out earlier, I think it would have brought in more UA members. I also always wanted to have a Captain's Quarters on the ship, maybe customizable as well. And I agree with everyone else as well; a stronger security system in the game would have made a safer environment for the community. :)
All very good points! It would have been more of an authentic (sailing/crew) experience :flag: if the Captain's Quarters was actually available.

Other than a more secure (POTCO) game, I feel strongly that POTCO would have been taken more seriously due to Disney "advertising."

*Think back to all of the "Club Penguin" and "Disney Infinity" advertising/marketing propaganda you have witnessed within the past year or so. With all of the $ money $ Disney Interactive apparently has at its disposal to promote each of those games, POTCO would have likely achieved a healthy boost on similar level if advertisement would have been directed more towards POTCO than it had.

The lack of advertising is now hurting the penguins. Internet traffic ranking for club penguin continues to drop so it may not be long before the last "World" is shut down. Treat Penguins like Potco and guess what happens...

graph

The lack of advertising is now hurting the penguins. Internet traffic ranking for club penguin continues to drop so it may not be long before the last "World" is shut down. Treat Penguins like Potco and guess what happens...

graph
Really glad that you had found such a chart. :) What is very interesting to me, as shown of the highs & lows of Club Penguin's internet traffic from the chart, is that it peaks at an all-time high right around mid-year 2013.

Now if you mates recall, "Disney Infinity" was released late August 2013 (Disney/DIMG had purposefully planned the initial advertisement/promotion of Infinity in this way to take full advantage of the 2013 'back-to-school' shopping experience). Thus, the wave of advertising/promotion devoted to the Disney Infinity game had offset significantly the internet traffic devoted to Club Penguin at precisely the same exact time (according to the above chart).

If that's not enough to change your mind about advertising and it's role and/or importance to the livelihood of a game such as POTCO, I am not sure what else would.

Back