Question What ever happened to the old docking system?

SwiftBlade

Honorable Pirate
If I recall, you used to be able to dock by pulling up to the islands and then swinging to the docks, like you would board a ship. This was in the early stages of POTCO but not sure if it made it into the live servers. Does anyone know why it wasn't fully added? Or if it was, why did it get removed?

Back when docks looked like this

Last edited:
The only thing I could assume is that the idea didn't make it into live production due to the fact that the game was later reduced in a number of aspects to run more fluently on home standard computer systems of the time, which were typically running Intel integrated GPU's and 4-8GB of RAM at the best.

The idea would have been much more interesting, however, I do think in present day POTCO/TLOPO it would be much more difficult to accomplish since Disney dug so deep into the idea of easy porting, basically completely rendering out the actual island model for a sub-scale replica that doesn't feature nearly as many details as the island itself when you've ported.

(Plus, imagine running away from a Battle Royale just to have to parallel park a ship at any one of the islands. ;) )

Also I think tlopo would have to down scale the ships to accommodate the true accuracy to attain a life like version of a pirate ship and I am sure that would take a long time to accomplish that. But what I would like to see on the game and maybe it may come to pass is being able to actually board Jolly Rodgers ship before it comes into port for his raids and to see if we can save the towns from his onslaught, Chuckles, or be able to sneak aboard when his ship is in port and take it over, and this way we can strand him to face justice from the brethren court rofl

Also I think tlopo would have to down scale the ships to accommodate the true accuracy to attain a life like version of a pirate ship and I am sure that would take a long time to accomplish that. But what I would like to see on the game and maybe it may come to pass is being able to actually board Jolly Rodgers ship before it comes into port for his raids and to see if we can save the towns from his onslaught, Chuckles, or be able to sneak aboard when his ship is in port and take it over, and this way we can strand him to face justice from the brethren court rofl
Some dev somewhere mentioned that very thing about scaling ships to islands or whatnot. It could have been the other remakes as well. This all blends together sometimes.

Probably because you could ram your ship into an island and it would cause lag. That's also why Disney made a invisible force field before the anchor button is shown.

Probably because you could ram your ship into an island and it would cause lag. That's also why Disney made a invisible force field before the anchor button is shown.
I guess if tlopo really wanted to overload their work load, they could do insane details like having to port within a certain amount of degrees of the visible dock and anywhere else you would ground the ship and maybe pay a penalty or jailed or something. Obviously, this would also add more work and effort to the pirates themselves and probably not many people want to work that hard or take that kind of time. Just think, if you're getting chased in that you have to circle around to the only port area on the island.
The most vocal seem to want quick and easy.

what you describe was possible in the Beta of POTCO (circa 2007). its difficult to find videos of the beta on youtube, but I managed to find one that shows it:

EDIT: I believe this was scrapped in the beta because there were problems with too many people trying to dock/undock at the same time

Last edited:
Back