Guide What is a computer?

MarkPlankwalker

Pirate Master
Everyone of us has a computer and uses it, but do you really know what's inside that debatably small metal case. So I'm putting together a little guide so you know a little more about your puter.

There's about 7 main peices to it the CPU, GPU, RAM, Motherboard, case, power supply, and storage.

the mother board is the most important part, it's what all the other parts connect to and how they work together. These decide what kind of [insert other part] you can use.
the CPU or processor is about the size of a quarter and it's literally a computer, it computes every arithmetic, logical, input/output function. The speed of these is measured in Hertz the more Hertz the faster it is. But what is a CPU core then? A core allows it to do a function for example, a single core can do one function at a time, a dual can do 2 at a time, a quad 4 and so on.
you all know this bad boy he's everyone's favorite BC he's easy to upgrade. RAM stores temporary info known as memory all this memory is deleted after the power is turned off. Having more RAM allows the computer to access this memory randomly unlike ROM which is sequentially. More RAM is means you can store more info which allows the computer to access it faster. And it's about the size of a credit card.
the graphics processing unit, the thing killing us all in Tlopo atm is a processing unit like the CPU but mainly for 3D applications that makes lighting effects and transforms objects every time a scene is redrawn something we cannot leave to the CPU because of how much strain it would put on the CPU. About the size of a handgun barrel.
the PSU is what it sounds like, it supplies power. This guy is huge it takes up about a 6th of all the space in the case.
Nowadays storage is getting HUGE I'm talking 1Tb hard drives is the norm. There's many different types of storage Hard Drive, Solid state drive, a hybrid of the two. There's also these new thing they're little tiny chips that hold massive storage I know nothing about those. The storage's job is to store files obviously that's about all you need to know about them
it's the case. it protects all the parts from weather, yes your home has weather inside it and from static electricity and such.
And those are the basic computer parts. There's a couple more but they don't do too much.

Last edited:
This guy is huge it takes up about a 6th of all the space in the case.
Heh, no love for SFF PSUs? So judgmental. How dare you assume a PSU's size. :laugh:

6825Large__31133.1457157192.380.850.jpg

no - no - no - there' s a tiny abacus inside and 3 keebler elves 1 draws the pictures , one types and the other has a tin can with some string connected to your modem I do tech support and talk to many many ppl who actually think its just a magic box

Back