Discussion What is it like to be a pirate again

Notey

Honorable Pirate
I know there are a few other threads around that are discussing what it is like to be back in the game, but I wanted to do one anyway :)

We are a few days into the beta now, what has it been like for you (besides the crashing and bugs.) Did you guys feel the same way you did when you first started playing? Is there anyone out there that never got to play POTCO so TLOPO is the first experience for you? I would love to hear your stories about what the game has meant to you. What is your absolute favorite thing to do (be more specific than just "sailing")?

I'm looking forward to meeting all you wonderful pirates out there!

Notey

Looking back at my days playing POTCO, I realize I was somewhat obsessed, playing all hours of the day or night. I remember being jailed constantly while I was learning how to play. Each quest challenged me to face frightening enemies, and encouraged me to work hard to upgrade my skills. For a wannabe pirate, I was a failure at sailing and being Captain of a ship. Then I decided to take the plunge and make some friends, join a guild, and later even tried to be a Guild Master. That made all the difference for me. Yes, I was obsessed.

Now, many years and different computers later, I have played a bit in Alpha, and now in Beta. I have much more confidence, and less fear as I start the journey over again. I look forward to joining a guild and working together with new friends to get the Black Pearl. As I just played last night, and this morning I just had to schedule a play time, I am sure I am already hooked on TLOPO! For me quests and helping interesting friends top my list of favorites.

In all honestly... i forgot how to play... and i forgot how much i forgot, and the stuff i have to relearn is just as hard if not harder than i had to learn back then as well. If only i had a key, i would play more!

I was very much obsessed with with the POTC movies so when I found out there was an online game coming out for POTC I was ecstatic. I remember making an account and immediately fell in love with the game. I played without paying for a few weeks but I knew it would be a game I would eventually invest in. I was hooked. I'd play for hours on end following the quest lines. Seeing characters like Cap. Jack Sparrow, Gibbs, Tia Dalma, Barbossa, Elizabeth and Will, it was all just incredibly fun I felt like a true pirate. Maybe it was a sense of escapism from the real world that I truly enjoyed. I recall going about my real life duties and saying "ok, well I have to go home and sink some ships!"
:pirate ship:
I am shy person so when I began to get comfortable with the game I started to look for a guild. And that's when the game changed entirely for me for the better. Being apart of a guild and just developing friendships is what made this game last as long as it did for me. And that's essentially why when it ended it was devastating for so many of us. I remember running around all the maps around the last few days of the game being so upset I'd never see any of it again..... but thankfully I was wrong. :)

Looking back at my days playing POTCO, I realize I was somewhat obsessed, playing all hours of the day or night. I remember being jailed constantly while I was learning how to play. Each quest challenged me to face frightening enemies, and encouraged me to work hard to upgrade my skills. For a wannabe pirate, I was a failure at sailing and being Captain of a ship. Then I decided to take the plunge and make some friends, join a guild, and later even tried to be a Guild Master. That made all the difference for me. Yes, I was obsessed.

Now, many years and different computers later, I have played a bit in Alpha, and now in Beta. I have much more confidence, and less fear as I start the journey over again. I look forward to joining a guild and working together with new friends to get the Black Pearl. As I just played last night, and this morning I just had to schedule a play time, I am sure I am already hooked on TLOPO! For me quests and helping interesting friends top my list of favorites.

That is great to hear! I definitely understand what you mean of trying to learn how to play the game. I started when I was 8-9 years old back in 2007 and I remember being completely entranced. I would sprint home every day from school and instantly hop on the game (I wasn't very good and never made it very far but that wasn't the point). I was having an absolute blast playing this game. POTCO allowed me to continue on to games like WoW and Lord of the Rings. POTCO will always hold a very special place in my heart for sparking my love of video games.

In all honestly... i forgot how to play... and i forgot how much i forgot, and the stuff i have to relearn is just as hard if not harder than i had to learn back then as well. If only i had a key, i would play more!

Oh, no doubt! It has been interesting to see what I remember from the original game and the things I am having to reteach myself. I stopped playing this game consistently around the end of 2011 so I don't quite remember all the content patches. But, also, here I am, 9 or so years later from when I originally started and I have already seen how far I have come. I remember it taking me months to get to the different milestones (20, 30, 40, etc.) and now I can get to level 17 in just a few days. I loved the game as a kid but now I think I can appreciate it even more as an adult.

I was very much obsessed with with the POTC movies so when I found out there was an online game coming out for POTC I was ecstatic. I remember making an account and immediately fell in love with the game. I played without paying for a few weeks but I knew it would be a game I would eventually invest in. I was hooked. I'd play for hours on end following the quest lines. Seeing characters like Cap. Jack Sparrow, Gibbs, Tia Dalma, Barbossa, Elizabeth and Will, it was all just incredibly fun I felt like a true pirate. Maybe it was a sense of escapism from the real world that I truly enjoyed. I recall going about my real life duties and saying "ok, well I have to go home and sink some ships!"
:pirate ship:
I am shy person so when I began to get comfortable with the game I started to look for a guild. And that's when the game changed entirely for me for the better. Being apart of a guild and just developing friendships is what made this game last as long as it did for me. And that's essentially why when it ended it was devastating for so many of us. I remember running around all the maps around the last few days of the game being so upset I'd never see any of it again..... but thankfully I was wrong. :)

The movies no doubt add to the experience. I remember watching the movie and then heading to Fort Charles and being like "ohhh myy godddd".

There were countless times where I sprinted home from school or other activities just to play this game. POTCO was the only thing I could talk about in elementary school. Being back on the game after so many years actually brought a tear to my eye. It has been such an unreal experience to be a part of this game again.

I started POTCO at the very beginning and played until late 2009 or early 2010. I was there for the island updates, but I don't remember much after that. So, anything Disney added after I left is new to me. Some of it I like, some of it I don't... but most of the game is still familiar to me. Of course, it won't be possible to really get fully immersed in long play sessions until the bugs are resolved and optimizations are made, but for now it just feels good to be back in the Caribbean after so long.

I started POTCO at the very beginning and played until late 2009 or early 2010. I was there for the island updates, but I don't remember much after that. So, anything Disney added after I left is new to me. Some of it I like, some of it I don't... but most of the game is still familiar to me. Of course, it won't be possible to really get fully immersed in long play sessions until the bugs are resolved and optimizations are made, but for now it just feels good to be back in the Caribbean after so long.

Did the island updates tick you off as much as it did for me? I remember being so mad and confused. I personally still prefer the old islands but I am okay with moving on XD. Beta is going to continue to get better and better!

Did the island updates tick you off as much as it did for me? I remember being so mad and confused. I personally still prefer the old islands but I am okay with moving on XD. Beta is going to continue to get better and better!

I can't remember how I felt about the update at the time, but yeah, I still like the old islands.

...Now, many years and different computers later, I have played a bit in Alpha, and now in Beta. I have much more confidence, and less fear as I start the journey over again. I look forward to joining a guild and working together with new friends to get the Black Pearl.
Here's a question I am interested to learn from not only through yourself but also - through others; does the "feel" for community mean more so now than it used to? I guess what I mean is, POTCO always had a great community and up until the last years of POTCO's life the community itself was for lack of better expression, unique and good.

*Now that everyone has hopefully had time to reflect and to think about how much we all took POTCO for granted, has the feeling or NEED for community itself become that much more important and meaningful to everyone now than in comparison to the past? I realize BETA of TLOPO has just begun but, for many of ye old pirates out there, does it seem like a close-knit community has returned back (once and for all) without the
distraction of in-game hacking and feelings of ill intent/superiority? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a great refreshment to be able to start all over again and experience some things i've never even experienced when I played POTCO!

It's fun & exciting that it has returned & I can't wait to sink my teeth into the full game.

Here's a question I am interested to learn from not only through yourself but also - through others; does the "feel" for community mean more so now than it used to? I guess what I mean is, POTCO always had a great community and up until the last years of POTCO's life the community itself was for lack of better expression, unique and good.

*Now that everyone has hopefully had time to reflect and to think about how much we all took POTCO for granted, has the feeling or NEED for community itself become that much more important and meaningful to everyone now than in comparison to the past? I realize BETA of TLOPO has just begun but, for many of ye old pirates out there, does it seem like a close-knit community has returned back (once and for all) without the
distraction of in-game hacking and feelings of ill intent/superiority? :confused:

Well, for me, I was never really involved with the community in POTCO. I joined the game when I was 8 or so years old and I didn't even know forums or communities like this were a thing. But now, I am definitely more involved in the community and that no doubt contributes to my love of the game. I love getting to share my passion with others and there is no better way than getting to share your stories and experiences. Communities mean everything to me now. I am no longer playing a game by myself.

POTCO gave us a Disney inspired community where kids and parents and, in my case, grandparents, a chance to feel safe, play and learn together without a generation biased agenda. Our enthusiasm to "be a pirate" melted away the artificial barriers and built a common goal to share. Shy pirates like Rose McSkull, and youthful pirates like Notey, and over the hill pirates like me, found our way to reach out for community to help one another.

The TLOPO community is gathering and I believe the legend will return. What fun we will have in store for pirates of all ages, from all places where imagination rules! It really is great to be a pirate...

POTCO gave us a Disney inspired community where kids and parents and, in my case, grandparents, a chance to feel safe, play and learn together without a generation biased agenda. Our enthusiasm to "be a pirate" melted away the artificial barriers and built a common goal to share. Shy pirates like Rose McSkull, and youthful pirates like Notey, and over the hill pirates like me, found our way to reach out for community to help one another.

The TLOPO community is gathering and I believe the legend will return. What fun we will have in store for pirates of all ages, from all places where imagination rules! It really is great to be a pirate...

Very well said. You're 100% right about our community being for everyone. Communities like League of Legends, WoW, CSGO, or any other type of E-Sport is full of incredibly rude and toxic people who just want to be the best. Communities like TLOPO show everyone what it is really like to work with a team and the beauty that can come out of that.

It is great to be a pirate. It is great that we all get to share our love with a community of people who just want to see us be happy.

Here is to many more years of plundering and fighting :)

I feel so much nostalgia! It so great to be back. I had so many friends back in the day on Potco, mostly other The Dark Mist guild members, and some of us kept in touch during the games off time and its so cool to be back together again now creating new memories together!

It's very nice to be back. I was pretty young and often wasn't entirely aware of just what I was doing, a lot of the time. I remembered certain text boxes that would pop up would mean certain events in a certain place (though I never connected them to certain days or times), I could captain my ship and use skills, but mostly I would just run around and do things, like kill bosses with the guild, who were at the time the Hostile Apostles, and horde weapons and clothes because I didn't know I could sell them. I didn't pay attention to quests, I just did them, so I didn't really have any idea of story progression, either. I never was very goal oriented, I just did whatever I felt, and now that I am back, with a few more years under my belt, I have a sense of accomplishment when I do things now, instead of being unaware I ever did them in the first place.

I'm so glad to be back in what was probably the best game from my childhood, back with other people who love it too :)

Being a pirate has rekindled a fire in me that never went away. I got so excited when I got to play the beta that I don't even mind the crashes and bugs at all. This has made me think of the good things in life and how they die young. But thankfully this gifted team has brought it back to life so that I can enjoy life. I immediately rushed to do my two favorite things: sailing and throwing daggers. Nothing beats sailing. And throwing knives are just plain fun. To be able to sail the ocean blue once again, to be a pirate, plunder and obliterate enemies... A hack n' slash mom at its finest. No game ever did beat this one. I love this game very much, it's my lifeline and relieves stress. It's a wonderful game. I love being a pirate. Love doing whatever I want, even if I sail around all day. Love it!!!!! And best of all, no one can tell me what to do!!!

It feels nostalgic, but I'm also getting a different vibe, and it might just be due to the new rain feature, where it feels like a new beginning; the sequel, if you will.

It's very nice to be back. I was pretty young and often wasn't entirely aware of just what I was doing, a lot of the time. I remembered certain text boxes that would pop up would mean certain events in a certain place (though I never connected them to certain days or times), I could captain my ship and use skills, but mostly I would just run around and do things, like kill bosses with the guild, who were at the time the Hostile Apostles, and horde weapons and clothes because I didn't know I could sell them. I didn't pay attention to quests, I just did them, so I didn't really have any idea of story progression, either. I never was very goal oriented, I just did whatever I felt, and now that I am back, with a few more years under my belt, I have a sense of accomplishment when I do things now, instead of being unaware I ever did them in the first place.

I'm so glad to be back in what was probably the best game from my childhood, back with other people who love it too :)

I totally know what you mean of running around without purpose. I have never been a person who pays attention to the story and I tend to just do the quests for the XP. Being back in POTCO has encouraged me to pay attention to the story and actually progress through the game.

It helps that there are multiple movies where I can kind of follow along and make connections to the movies from the game!

Back