What's your opinion on another remake and POTHS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...received an email of approval, rather than a letter of approval. I do have the source still for it as do Disney. We did have photographic permission too but I can't seem to access it yet. When I have it, I will post it to any interested. Until I find it, I'll sum up what they said: we may use material from the Pirates of the Caribbean Online files, so long as profit is not being made.

TheGleamings - Have you had the time to access and/or locate that message again? *If it's OK, I think it would be helpful for the community to understand again the message involved within that email sent to you by Disney. :)

As it remains currently, I cannot access anything related to the actual message (in both the pm I had received awhile ago which contained a 'pic' of the message as well as a 'pic' included within this post below having to do with the message as well: https://piratesforums.co/threads/potco-will-never-die-campaign.8963/page-2#post-151810).

Btw, the message within that post included above ^ was written before anyone from another remake had taken the time to (publicly) notify forums members here, about another remake's intentions. I do hope that explains some of the skepticism.

TheGleamings - Have you had the time to access and/or locate that message again? *If it's OK, I think it would be helpful for the community to understand again the message involved within that email sent to you by Disney. :)

As it remains currently, I cannot access anything related to the actual message (in both the pm I had received awhile ago which contained a 'pic' of the message as well as a 'pic' included within this post below having to do with the message as well: https://piratesforums.co/threads/potco-will-never-die-campaign.8963/page-2#post-151810).

Btw, the message within that post included above ^ was written before anyone from another remake had taken the time to (publicly) notify forums members here, about another remake's intentions. I do hope that explains some of the skepticism.

Sorry Shamus The Brute, I'm still finding it when I have the time (and not developing). For any more scepticism then we privately offer the source. Sorry for the delay; I'll see if anyone from the team still has it too.

The game is "free" so I don't know why there would be skepticism. EVEN if it was fake, it's not like anyone loses anything...I use my pirate names,semi-true birthdate & pirate e-mail when I sign up for stuff.

Sorry for the delay; I'll see if anyone from the team still has it too.
"No worries." :) I was just hoping to review again that message as I had forgotten exactly what was said.
The game is "free" so I don't know why there would be skepticism.
I think that with the amount of time that has passed since POTCO's closing, I am perhaps one of the few pirates left out there whom view any POTCO new game/emulator project with a certain level of skepticism.

This "skepticism" that I do possess is linked to a direct need for myself to protect not only myself as a consumer but also more younger, inexperienced (ex-POTCO) players whom, because of a lack of maturity to where they would willfully accept just about anything presented before them, were often the victims as well of a lot of the modding/hacking efforts which had affected POTCO.
- As a parent (yes I have kids), I can tell you that "no," it is not really cool:sun: and hilarious :cool: that such individuals were fooled or tricked outright on POTCO at their own expense. *Therefore, and I regret in having to say this, but because of my own dealings with individuals on POTCO (in addition to those experiences I also 'witnessed' on POTCO that had affected the game experience of others), the skepticism I do uphold towards those I do not know coming from POTCO is 100% warranted!

I understand. My skepticism has been that, how are these teenagers(some of them are teens I think) going to succeed in what POTCO(owned and ran by a huge corporation, which hired men/women with tech/computer/graphic degrees..etc) failed at..

I understand. My skepticism has been that, how are these teenagers(some of them are teens I think) going to succeed in what POTCO(owned and ran by a huge corporation, which hired men/women with tech/computer/graphic degrees..etc) failed at..

IF such teenagers are living here within the US, they are actually doing what it takes for them to live the reality of their "American" dream. Such entrepreneurship is quite admirable, in my opinion. ;) The main concern I have with any POTCO new game/emulator project out there is simply this:
  • what was the reality of the level of their (individual) integrity on POTCO?

1. Kate Goldwalker is/was a great pirate in potco, I trust her 100%
2. Charles Warmonk was in Dark Archive,was an officer and is a good pirate

I did not know the others...

Sorry Shamus The Brute, I'm still finding it when I have the time (and not developing).

@TheGleamings - Is this the same message you are talking about and to which another remake had received? :confused:

Pirates Online Rewritten.png

IF so, did any follow-up occur from another remake to verify what this "Randy" had said? :confused: If not, I would think that by verifying such permission (with either this individual again or another) would be the safest bet, considering how hectic things have been for DIMG over this past year in so far as changes made within their customer service infrastructure.

What I mean is, this "Randy" (along with his/her source of 'deliberations') could not even be employed by DIMG anymore due to the extensive number of company layoffs which had plagued DIMG since the time this email was sent to another remake.

Therefore, would it work to another remake's advantage (and the ex-POTCO community) to re-verify this claim before another remake is released? :confused:

*I have said this many times before but the last thing this community needs is for players' themselves to be built up with a great amount of HOPE and then one minute later, have that HOPE unexpectedly torn down as a direct result of actions taken by Disney themselves.

Do you see what I am getting at?

Last edited by a moderator:
@TheGleamings - Is this the same message you are talking about and to which another remake had received? :confused:

View attachment 59904

IF so, did any follow-up occur from another remake to verify what this "Randy" had said? :confused: If not, I would think that by verifying such permission (with either this individual again or another) would be the safest bet, considering how hectic things have been for DIMG over this past year in so far as changes made within their customer service infrastructure.

What I mean is, this "Randy" (along with his/her source of 'deliberations') could not even be employed by DIMG anymore due to the extensive number of company layoffs which had plagued DIMG since the time this email was sent to another remake.

Therefore, would it work to another remake's advantage (and the ex-POTCO community) to re-verify this claim before another remake is released? :confused:

*I have said this many times before but the last thing this community needs is for players' themselves to be built up with a great amount of HOPE and then one minute later, have that HOPE unexpectedly torn down as a direct result of actions taken by Disney themselves.

Do you see what I am getting at?
During alpha & beta, there will be re-verification of this. However Disney Interactive would surely let me know if other deliberations were made? (Plus if there is hope torn down, there would be POTHS to turn to hopefully - I believe in them just like I believe in another remake's success)

During alpha & beta, there will be re-verification of this. However Disney Interactive would surely let me know if other deliberations were made? (Plus if there is hope torn down, there would be POTHS to turn to hopefully - I believe in them just like I believe in another remake's success)
This is just my opinion and I hope that it makes sense to you, to another remake, and to anyone else whom might eventually read this. :piratemickey:

As I see it, developers of another remake are in a "unique" position. :bow: Unlike POTHS, "Pirates Rewritten Online" upholds a deeper sense of personal responsibility (whether this is realized or not). What I mean is, another remake is an emulator which by definition means that it will be mirrored after POTCO. As a result, another remake may likely gain a considerable amount of support and attention from the ex-POTCO, player community. (By myself proclaiming this, I am not trying to minimize the legitimacy or the purpose of POTHS in any; POTHS is an entirely new game with an entirely new focus separate from any association related to POTCO).

As such, another remake has unfairly inherited some of the stigma which has plagued POTCO these last couple of years! One of those stigma that another remake will have to face is to assist in the repair of the trust that was damaged as a result of Disney failing to extend "consideration" in so far as how they ultimately handled the treatment of the POTCO, player-base. Chances are good that those players whom choose to decide to play another remake will choose to decide as well to remain dedicated and loyal to another remake (much like they did with POTCO).

~Therefore, what I would most like to say to another remake is that it is
extremely imperative to take this responsibility seriously because another remake has within it's grip the power to ultimately change the memory of POTCO for all of us (for good; or, for bad). :piratemickey:

*I encourage another remake to verify the authenticity of that email message!!! (ToonTown Rewritten would do it for 'Charlie' and another remake should do the same).

This is just my opinion and I hope that it makes sense to you, to another remake, and to anyone else whom might eventually read this. :piratemickey:

As I see it, developers of another remake are in a "unique" position. :bow: Unlike POTHS, "Pirates Rewritten Online" upholds a deeper sense of personal responsibility (whether this is realized or not). What I mean is, another remake is an emulator which by definition means that it will be mirrored after POTCO. As a result, another remake may likely gain a considerable amount of support and attention from the ex-POTCO, player community. (By myself proclaiming this, I am not trying to minimize the legitimacy or the purpose of POTHS in any; POTHS is an entirely new game with an entirely new focus separate from any association related to POTCO).

As such, another remake has unfairly inherited some of the stigma which has plagued POTCO these last couple of years! One of those stigma that another remake will have to face is to assist in the repair of the trust that was damaged as a result of Disney failing to extend "consideration" in so far as how they ultimately handled the treatment of the POTCO, player-base. Chances are good that those players whom choose to decide to play another remake will choose to decide as well to remain dedicated and loyal to another remake (much like they did with POTCO).

~Therefore, what I would most like to say to another remake is that it is
extremely imperative to take this responsibility seriously because another remake has within it's grip the power to ultimately change the memory of POTCO for all of us (for good; or, for bad). :piratemickey:

*I encourage another remake to verify the authenticity of that email message!!! (ToonTown Rewritten would do it for 'Charlie' and another remake should do the same).
Indeed, I have watched Charlie's video many a time.

I certainly understand that the responsibility withheld in Pirates Online Rewritten's hands is very big. This is why I have been very picky and serious about who I choose for our Customer Support team. So far they have a Live Chat ready for the game, which should show sincere consideration for the players.

Personally, I've played Pirates of the Caribbean Online from December 2007 until the end, so I have large memories and understand what would happen if the memories of the game would change for the bad. I understand the responsibility, and am taking it fully and seriously.

During alpha & beta, there will be re-verification of this.
Personally, I've played Pirates of the Caribbean Online from December 2007 until the end, so I have large memories and understand what would happen if the memories of the game would change for the bad. I understand the responsibility, and am taking it fully and seriously.
I appreciate the above and certainly, I am not disputing your dedication to assure that all bases will be covered once another remake goes live. :) However, I cannot get over the fact that just about "everything" is hanging upon the validity of that specific email message.

Keeping the email message in mind, I have taken the time to review the legal jargon that is written (the 'mumbo jumbo' essentially) which is expressed in Disney's/Disney Interactive's terms of service. For anyone whom is interested in reading, the below link is where it can be found:

http://disneytermsofuse.com/english/

What I am having a difficult time in understanding is that the terms explicitly state a few things. Now, whether or not such terms could potentially affect another remake, that is the question I am having a hard time understanding. Below are a few points taken from the terms (updated July 18, 2013) which do concern me:

• Contract between you and us - We may amend these terms. Any such amendment will be effective thirty (30) days following either our dispatch of a notice to you or our posting of the amendment on the Disney Services. If you do not agree to any change to these terms, you must discontinue using the Disney Services. Our customer service representatives are not authorized to modify any provision of these terms, either verbally or in writing.
  • The Disney services - The Disney Services are our copyrighted property or the copyrighted property of our licensors or licensees and all trademarks, service marks, trade names, trade dress and other intellectual property rights in the Disney Services are owned by us or our licensors or licensees. Except as we specifically agree in writing, no element of the Disney Services may be used or exploited in any way other than as part of the Disney Services offered to you. You may own the physical media on which elements of the Disney Services are delivered to you, but we retain full and complete ownership of the Disney Services. We do not transfer title to any portion of the Disney Services to you.
  • Additional Restrictions on the Use of the Disney Services - You agree not to use any software or device that allows automated gameplay, expedited gameplay, or other manipulation of gameplay or game client and you agree not to cheat or otherwise modify a Disney Service or game experience to create an advantage for one user over another. Additionally, you agree not to access, monitor or copy any element of the Disney Services using a robot, spider, scraper or other automated means or manual process without our express written permission.
*Now, when the above refers to the "in writing" parts, does that include messages sent via email or does it refer only to a physical, hard-copy letter? :confused: In addition, Disney is known for taking full ownership over creative works and if there is anything that another remake may include within the game (which was not found in the phase files and wasn't presented within the game itself) Disney has rights to claim such creative works for themselves, if they choose to do so.

@TheGleamings - I would think that since you do have ties with this someone within Disney Interactive (that part has since been edited out), why not work with them again to understand where another remake stands? ;) If it were me, I would do this in addition to attaching a "disclaimer" for those players interested in playing another remake (see:
https://piratesforums.co/threads/pirates-online-rewritten-frequently-asked-questions.9348/page-3#post-154603)

I appreciate the above and certainly, I am not disputing your dedication to assure that all bases will be covered once another remake goes live. :) However, I cannot get over the fact that just about "everything" is hanging upon the validity of that specific email message.

Keeping the email message in mind, I have taken the time to review the legal jargon that is written (the 'mumbo jumbo' essentially) which is expressed in Disney's/Disney Interactive's terms of service. For anyone whom is interested in reading, the below link is where it can be found:

http://disneytermsofuse.com/english/

What I am having a difficult time in understanding is that the terms explicitly state a few things. Now, whether or not such terms could potentially affect another remake, that is the question I am having a hard time understanding. Below are a few points taken from the terms (updated July 18, 2013) which do concern me:

• Contract between you and us - We may amend these terms. Any such amendment will be effective thirty (30) days following either our dispatch of a notice to you or our posting of the amendment on the Disney Services. If you do not agree to any change to these terms, you must discontinue using the Disney Services. Our customer service representatives are not authorized to modify any provision of these terms, either verbally or in writing.
  • The Disney services - The Disney Services are our copyrighted property or the copyrighted property of our licensors or licensees and all trademarks, service marks, trade names, trade dress and other intellectual property rights in the Disney Services are owned by us or our licensors or licensees. Except as we specifically agree in writing, no element of the Disney Services may be used or exploited in any way other than as part of the Disney Services offered to you. You may own the physical media on which elements of the Disney Services are delivered to you, but we retain full and complete ownership of the Disney Services. We do not transfer title to any portion of the Disney Services to you.
  • Additional Restrictions on the Use of the Disney Services - You agree not to use any software or device that allows automated gameplay, expedited gameplay, or other manipulation of gameplay or game client and you agree not to cheat or otherwise modify a Disney Service or game experience to create an advantage for one user over another. Additionally, you agree not to access, monitor or copy any element of the Disney Services using a robot, spider, scraper or other automated means or manual process without our express written permission.
*Now, when the above refers to the "in writing" parts, does that include messages sent via email or does it refer only to a physical, hard-copy letter? :confused: In addition, Disney is known for taking full ownership over creative works and if there is anything that another remake may include within the game (which was not found in the phase files and wasn't presented within the game itself) Disney has rights to claim such creative works for themselves, if they choose to do so.

@TheGleamings - I would think that since you do have ties with this someone within Disney Interactive (that part has since been edited out), why not work with them again to understand where another remake stands? ;) If it were me, I would do this in addition to attaching a "disclaimer" for those players interested in playing another remake (see:
https://piratesforums.co/threads/pirates-online-rewritten-frequently-asked-questions.9348/page-3#post-154603)
Yes, I will check it with my brother who does have ties with Disney Interactive. Now with the "in writing" part, I believe that to have the source email is enough but I will contact them about that - thanks for pointing that out.

I also do not mind if Disney take full ownership for anything not found in the Phase Files and inside them too, that generally doesn't bother me nor the team.

Anyway, yes. Going to speak to my brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back