Question Why is my setup lagging?

Pirate Dog

Honorable Pirate
(I apologize if this somehow belongs in another section, if I don't know its always General)
Ok, for the last couple times I have played....
I notice with my FPS counter I get probably 20 as the highest, and about 10 or less as the minimum:
I know my FPS dips when I am near a big player group (such as a party on Tortuga or Port Royal docks)

"Get a new computer then doggy..."
Really now? With this setup?:

Windows 10
16 GB of RAM
Intel Core i5 "Devil's Canyon" (4690K)
AMD Radeon 390

How does a 390 get 20 FPS on this game?.... even then my CPU is more than the recommended especially since it can overclock to 3.9 Ghz when necessary (though I have underclocked to 3.5 Ghz because I don't need 3.9 yet I think). I really don't see how my system should even get below 30, heck I can play a heavily modded Skyrim with flying colors yet I seem to have problems with this game...

So, any idea why I am lagging at all...?

(I apologize if this somehow belongs in another section, if I don't know its always General)
Ok, for the last couple times I have played....
I notice with my FPS counter I get probably 20 as the highest, and about 10 or less as the minimum:
I know my FPS dips when I am near a big player group (such as a party on Tortuga or Port Royal docks)

"Get a new computer then doggy..."
Really now? With this setup?:

Windows 10
16 GB of RAM
Intel Core i5 "Devil's Canyon" (4690K)
AMD Radeon 390

How does a 390 get 20 FPS on this game?.... even then my CPU is more than the recommended especially since it can overclock to 3.9 Ghz when necessary (though I have underclocked to 3.5 Ghz because I don't need 3.9 yet I think). I really don't see how my system should even get below 30, heck I can play a heavily modded Skyrim with flying colors yet I seem to have problems with this game...

So, any idea why I am lagging at all...?
The lag isn't your fault, most likely. In Beta, we will be working more on optimizing the code which will greatly improve lag. Right now, we do optimize some, but the focus is primarily on getting all the features to work.

For whatever reason, its the game itself. Even if hardware is more than qualified to run it the software needs its own optimizations.

Edit: Cheysa beat me to it lol

As others have said above, it's the game's optimization. I have a setup like yours (specs are in my signature) and I sometimes get lower frames as well. The developers are making a lot of performance tweaks with each update, so it shouldn't be long before TLOPO is heavily optimized. The game was ported to the newest version of Panda3D not too long ago, which brought a bunch of performance enhancements in and of itself.

I have an R9 390 + i5 4590 and im getting over 30-40 fps usually. make sure your drivers are updated.

Back