Question Why isn't my name accepted?

BlackbeardsGhost

Swashbuckler
For some reason, each time I want to name my character this name:
Blackbeard's Son

I always get declined. Can someone explain why?

Not sure. I had the same problem with blamboo but when I added Cpt. at the start it fix it.

Well I got a name:
Captain Blackbeard !

Maybe there is but when I used to play it I was able to be called that.
Disney let me use that name.

Users have a right to know all of the considerations that are put into name approval.
So there's more than just the 'extended list of naming' guidelines?'
  • No copyrighted names
  • No personally identifiable information. For example, you can't use your own name.
  • No inappropriate mixed case. For example: Neither JoePirate nor joEpiRAte. But Joe McPirate is okay.
  • No exact characters from the Pirates movies and no mixing of exact character names. For example: Elizabeth Turner, William Sparrow.
  • No Disney characters or other cartoon characters.
  • No foul language.
  • No sentences.
  • Names must be at least three letters.
  • No names that imply that you're a Disney or TLOPO employee.
  • No non-English words.
  • No religious names.
  • No references to anything illegal.
  • No names can be the names of major public figures. For example, President Obama.
  • Periods and Dashes are the only punctuation/symbols allowed, but must be separated by a letter. For example, Joe's Pirate and Pirate-Anne

So there's more than just the 'extended list of naming' guidelines?'
Correct. We have quite a few more things we look at. As stated before, I am working towards getting the full list publicized. It's not fair to players to not be aware of every single guideline.

and names can't be duplicated right? Like there can't be 500 pirates named Joe?
I mean, come on dude, at least put a Shmoe at the end! :p
Should make it at least a max of like 2-5. Guild I was in on POTCO me and a friend of mine made two identical characters with same names and one of us was a pain in the butt every other day. lol
This is one thing I'm against. Duplicate names shouldn't be an issue.

Duplicate names shouldn't be an issue.
I totally agree. As long as there isn't a duplicate unique name allowed, where someone is trying to impersonate someone as happened in Potco. ;)

I'm guessing when a name is approved, the User ID is checked to make sure it's the real person?

We wouldn't want 10 little JFR's running around. (one's enough) :p

I totally agree. As long as there isn't a duplicate unique name allowed, where someone is trying to impersonate someone as happened in Potco. ;)

I'm guessing when a name is approved, the User ID is checked to make sure it's the real person?

We're considering implementing a "Verified" system. Where players can have a little checkmark in their profile panel saying they're the real whoever.

However, when there are only so many possible names that can be made via the name tumbler, we can't make each of those exclusive. The name "John Foulroberts" is up for grabs to anyone.

This is one thing I'm against. Duplicate names shouldn't be an issue.
One game I played LotRO had a naming list where you could only use that name once.. Like no two people with the name Joe, or Glingas, or Stinker, what have you. There was a way around this however, you could spend 20-25 bucks to transfer a character with same name over to the server you wanted to play on. Only thing is it would be Joe-1 or Glingas-1. Keeps track of names rather well in my opinion.. That way you know how many there are, who is who, etc..

One game I played LotRO had a naming list where you could only use that name once.. Like no two people with the name Joe, or Glingas, or Stinker, what have you. There was a way around this however, you could spend 20-25 bucks to transfer a character with same name over to the server you wanted to play on. Only thing is it would be Joe-1 or Glingas-1. Keeps track of names rather well in my opinion.. That way you know how many there are, who is who, etc..
I'm still against it. We have a strict rule as well against numbers being included in names. I never experienced issues in POTCO with names, and in Alpha we didn't have many either. So I don't think this will be an issue.

We're considering implementing a "Verified" system. Where players can have a little checkmark in their profile panel saying they're the real whoever.

However, when there are only so many possible names that can be made via the name tumbler, we can't make each of those exclusive. The name "John Foulroberts" is up for grabs to anyone.
ehhh

that would make the game feel a lot like social media...

That name is on the list on character creation, anyone can use it.

Only english names? No religious names? What is the point of that. What if a hispanic person wants a Spanish or portuguese name. A large number of english names are religious. Lets just look at all the religious names of the people who have said something on this thread. There is a John, Benjamin, Mike, and if you include mine Eli. Davies is even religious. Its a name that came from the Celtic version of David as in king David of israeli. Joan is even a religious name. It is the female version of John which means God is Gracious. Does this mean that christians can have there religious names because they are all generic. Can a muslim not use Muhammad but a christian can use John or Eli?

Last edited:
Back