Question Will I Be Too Late?

Sam Lockgrim

Pirate Apprentice
So it just doesn't feel right for me to play the game in its unfinished state, so I've been forcing myself not to play until the full release or whenever I feel enough has been added and the game is polished enough for my taste. However, I'm really starting to fear if not as many people will be playing by then. If my assumptions are correct, the majority of the playerbase right now is mostly the biggest POTCO fans from back in the day who stuck with the remakes and never gave up on them. When I see my brother playing sometimes on ship material runs, there is a ton of huge upgraded warships all with their own hunters on their tail fighting together in a fleet, so this made me think that the most enthusiastic fans of the game are the majority even more. However, even a game as great as POTCO/TLOPO does eventually get less and less fun. Nothing lasts forever, and that is why I am worried that when I actually decide, "Sweet the game looks polished and all these new features are added, it's time for me to play," a lot of people will have already played the game so much during beta that they won't feel as interested in the game or want to play it as often.

So, do you guys think their will still be a thriving community of pirates by the full release? Are their others like me who only want to play the game when it has been fully revived? Will it be a huge struggle to ever find a good SvS battle going on, because my gosh SvS is like tied for looting for the best thing to do at lvl 50, and I don't want everyone to be burnt out on it but me when I get a good ship ready for some privateering. Are my fears legitimate, or are they unjustified and I'm just worrying too much?

Wow this is long, guess when I'm really into something I could just write for hours lol.

What I WILL say is this. I never played POTCO. I was introduced to it through another person who did... I didn't even know the remake existed until I got bored one day and did some creative googling to see what it was about since she mentioned it a lot.

If you want it to be a thriving community, that is up to US to make that happen really. I have little doubt that there are many more fans who played POTCO and do not know about this... If you want a thriving community, then talk it up! Mention it to your friends, post about it on social media, ask your friends to do the same and so on. The community is really going to be responsible for the health of that, coupled with the enthusiasm of the TLOPO team. I don't know about you... But when I like something... When I REALLY like something... I tell people about it! I get THEM excited about it. Even in a world of super graphics and nearly infinite story lines, TLOPO has a cherished place with many. And I am a fan of it now too. So, just like I was made a fan, go make other people fans! Good luck and happy adventuring! Good fortune and safe journeys, 'til next we meet!

Oh... and as far as waiting to play... I consider myself a beta tester. The game will reach the point you are talking about desiring if a lot of people pitch in and help things along in a respectful and constructive manner... So that is really your job, should you choose to accept it. :)

Games may come and go, but there will always be fans... I still play Alternate Reality the City and Alternate Reality the Dungeon by Phillip Price on the 8-bit Atari 800 sometimes because it was my VERY first immersive RPG. :) So there is hope. haha!

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think that it'll die down that much by full release, especially with them adding in their own original content and expanding the game past what disney had. I don't think your fears are unjustified/dramatic because it IS a thing people think about. Heck, I've thought about the same thing but after thinking more on it I feel like the community will still be alive even at full release.

So it just doesn't feel right for me to play the game in its unfinished state, so I've been forcing myself not to play until the full release or whenever I feel enough has been added and the game is polished enough for my taste. However, I'm really starting to fear if not as many people will be playing by then. If my assumptions are correct, the majority of the playerbase right now is mostly the biggest POTCO fans from back in the day who stuck with the remakes and never gave up on them. When I see my brother playing sometimes on ship material runs, there is a ton of huge upgraded warships all with their own hunters on their tale fighting together in a fleet, so this made me think that the most enthusiastic fans of the game are the majority even more. However, even a game as great as POTCO/TLOPO does eventually get less and less fun. Nothing lasts forever, and that is why I am worried that when I actually decide, "Sweet the game looks polished and all these new features are added, it's time for me to play," a lot of people will have already played the game so much during beta that they won't feel as interested in the game or want to play it as often.

So, do you guys think their will still be a thriving community of pirates by the full release? Are their others like me who only want to play the game when it has been fully revived? Will it be a huge struggle to ever find a good SvS battle going on, because my gosh SvS is like tied for looting for the best thing to do at lvl 50, and I don't want everyone to be burnt out on it but me when I get a good ship ready for some privateering. Are my fears legitimate, or are they unjustified and I'm just worrying too much?

Wow this is long, guess when I'm really into something I could just write for hours lol.
As you said most of the community or the people who really loved POTCO. Those people wont soon quit the game, they love it too much for that. I can also see a lot of people making alts when full release comes out. Also @Remington and @Nalani both made very good points. Nalani said that they are adding new content which will make a lot of people really want to keep playing. Remington mentioned how if you want to make the game popular tell your friends about it.

There is already a lot of level 50s In the game who are active, there is always something to do whether that be looting, pvp, svs, running a guild, or probably the most timeless thing roleplay actual.

Although all of these points are good I do know what your talking about. I myself am bored at times in the game and I'm not even level 50. It just requires a good active community who are willing to help each others experience by making it more fun for them, whether that be by them being a friend to talk to, a fellow roleplayer, a looter, or just a person who tries to make everyone around them feel good.

To sum things up I don't think the community will die out for a long time, if we're lucky maybe never. On the other hand I highly encourage you to play Beta so that you can help out the developers by testing the game. There is plenty to do at the moment and many of the most prominent features are already in the game. The biggest thing we are missing is the Ravens Cove Quest and Cursed blades. Otherwise we aren't missing that much, just invasions, the Queen Anne's Revenge, fleets, and cannon defense that is actual working - I cant think of anything else.

Last edited:
I can tell you with certainty that this game will never die, just look at the facts, it already went through shut down and came back to life.
You will never get a better testimony or reassurance than this. Just play the game, enjoy and will figure all when the time comes.
Don't let your fears keep you from doing things, from attempting to reach your dreams.
insp0440.png

:pirate ship:

I agree with everything said here. I never played PotCO. I was introduced to TLoPO by my fella, who was a PotCO player and had quietly stalked the various remakes. It quickly became obvious that the TLoPO team was the most likely to succeed and he dragged me here to check it out.

The 'original' players in our community have waited faithfully for so long together, for the chance to play again that I very much doubt TLoPO's player base will be going anywhere but up for quite some time. Added to that are quite a number of people, like yourself, that have held back a little longer and newcomers like myself. We'll be here for a good while yet :)

So quit waiting...come join us! :flag1::cheers:

As a former POTCO player I believe this game will never die out. Many of us came back when we found out about TLOPO because we missed it so much. As more content is added that will make it even more interesting. There is a camaraderie here in this game that you don't find in a lot of games. Some people will get bored but they will get bored with any game they play. Also do you read things posted in the forum. They just stated August 6th that pirates now has 100,000 members...everything I have seen has shown growth.

Last edited:
As a former POTCO player I believe this game will never die out. Many of us came back when we found out about TLOPO because we missed it so much. As more content is added that will make it even more interesting. There is a camaraderie here in this game that you don't find in a lot of games. Some people will get bored but they will get bored with any game they play.
Well spoken! And not to mention... For me, even the rare times that I might get a little bored... Well... There are no other people in world I'd rather be bored with than my friends here. haha! We can take a boring moment and in no time, be rolling on the ground and holding our sides from the fun moment we create ourselves!

Back