Question Will There Be An Offline Mode?

Should there be an offline mode for TLOPO?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was wondering if TLOPO will have an offline mode when it is fully released. I know that the game is meant to be played with others, but what does everyone do when the TLOPO servers eventually cease to exist. I'm just worried that once TLOPO has run its course we'll be back in the same boat of not being able to play POTCO. An offline mode would be great, but would it be possible? I've heard that a lot of things that allow MMOs to run are coded onto the servers. This means that without the server, the game is incomplete and can't run. Is that the case with TLOPO?

Agreed, I dont think they should immediatly make an offline mode but around when they begin to shut down it would be nice to post the source code.

Making it offline would be simple, all the devs would have to do is allow the player to run astron locally.

While it may be easy, I'm not sure it's practical. It's probably more likely in the far future if TLOPO closes. For now I don't think it would work; we don't want people drawn away from online just to play by themselves.

In my opinion, the best thing about Pirates of the Caribbean Online is just that; the plural-ness to it (to where no individual pirate became an island unto him or herself).
:shark:

While I do know many pirates actually wouldn't mind strolling around the Caribbean themselves (taking advantage of POTCO's looting, leveling, sailing, quests, potions, fishing, card games, etc.), the truth of the matter is the actual crewing/guild aspect of POTCO is what drove the game to gain as much popularity as it did because of the pirate-way-of-life. (Granted, people now are looking at POTCO being remade via TLOPO but here's the point I would like most to stress; let's not change the memory of how we experienced POTCO by changing it up in a way which does not honor POTCO).
- Remember, it's a pirate's life for me.:parrot:

In my opinion, the best thing about Pirates of the Caribbean Online is just that; the plural-ness to it (to where no individual pirate became an island unto him or herself).
:shark:

While I do know many pirates actually wouldn't mind strolling around the Caribbean themselves (taking advantage of POTCO's looting, leveling, sailing, quests, potions, fishing, card games, etc.), the truth of the matter is the actual crewing/guild aspect of POTCO is what drove the game to gain as much popularity as it did because of the pirate-way-of-life. (Granted, people now are looking at POTCO being remade via TLOPO but here's the point I would like most to stress; let's not change the memory of how we experienced POTCO by changing it up in a way which does not honor POTCO).
- Remember, it's a pirate's life for me.:parrot:
Well, of course we would like to play it online with others and guilds but for when it shuts down just so we can relive it any time we like it would be nice to have an offline mode.

Well, of course we would like to play it online with others and guilds but for when it shuts down just so we can relive it any time we like it would be nice to have an offline mode.
I understand but, your line-of-reasoning suggests that:
  1. TLOPO will end just as quickly as it began
  2. POTCO shouldn't be esteemed nor honored to the point of leaving the game completely alone (as is) for the sake of memory
I do realize your love itself for the game but, we simply cannot - nor should we try - to make a point to play aspects of the game itself forever and into eternity. *By doing so, the memory we do keep now of the actual POTCO would likely become diminished. (I have enough respect for your own memory of POTCO to remind you of this).

I understand but, your line-of-reasoning suggests that:
  1. TLOPO will end just as quickly as it began
  2. POTCO shouldn't be esteemed nor honored to the point of leaving the game completely alone (as is) for the sake of memory
I do realize your love itself for the game but, we simply cannot - nor should we try - to make a point to play aspects of the game itself forever and into eternity. *By doing so, the memory we do keep now of the actual POTCO would likely become diminished. (I have enough respect for your own memory of POTCO to remind you of this).
I understand not wanting to diminish the memory of POTCO, but I for one usually played by myself anyway so I would personally love an offline mode. I don't expect TLOPO to go offline for many years, but when it does, I would enjoy a way to still play it.

I understand not wanting to diminish the memory of POTCO, but I for one usually played by myself anyway so I would personally love an offline mode. I don't expect TLOPO to go offline for many years, but when it does, I would enjoy a way to still play it.
Or if they were to make it open code so people could just host their own servers for them and their friends to play on. After they close that is and I agree I don't expect them and hope they dont shut down for many years but it WILL happen eventually.

I agree, when TLOPO's servers close there will probably never be a remake for this game again. I think that in the future, the developers should consider making an offline mode.
:iagree:
I still feel like the crew of the TLOPO should focus on the main task of implementing the online version first. Once that is complete and all major parts of the game are running ship-shape, then maybe part of the crew could start converting an offline mode while the other half works on fixing remaining bugs and glitches in the online version. This would allow the crew a rest period, when the offline version is being developed and all players are working on just catching up their old pirates to their previous notoriety in the Caribbean. I know I'll be too distracted recreating Ol'Dutch and re-exploring everything to be worried about new content.

Just a thought. I am no developer and I might be completely misjudging the situation and task that I implied. Just have to wait and see. Certainly a compelling idea, just don't know how long it would take to put into action.

its called pirates of the Caribbean for a reason half the fun is in the online part without other people u will get bored quick

It would be fun to have an offline mode. I mean most of the time I was sailing, and swashbuckling all by my lonesome anyway. It probably wouldn't work out, but having fishing, potions, repair game, and some other things available offline would be neat.

Back