Question Will There Be An Offline Mode?

Should there be an offline mode for TLOPO?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I barely got started when the original game was at the last (peg)leg; i managed to end the intro and got about 4/5ths of the quest to gerring the Pearl's crew together for Sparrow to retake the Pearl when i was waylaid - by the free-to-play limitation of level - which also meant i had too little punch to do the rest of the quest then. I just started joining other player's crews to do battling the EITC ships...

Offline play? My thoughts are "yes"; it's true, the game would need to be on the hard drive but it should mean that the most of the maps and info on them should be in the computer already; the only thing changing would be the sync of online players, online-based ships on the server based maps and such data with the local computer, decreasing the needed data transfer between the server and players.

I think that TLOPO should have an offline version ready in the event that multiplayer can no longer be sustained.

Hear me out. I understand concerns about an offline mode simultaneously within the MMO environment. During the game's supported lifespan, I'll agree. The foundation of the game is an MMO. Id rather have resources devoted to optimizing the game and running it to the best of its ability.

However, eventually support will end some day. When ever TLOPO does cease multiplayer funding, be it a month from release or 50 years from release, I'd like to see a single player adapted version so that when the MMO can no longer run, or the team needs rebuilding, or another team must pick it up, or something else happens, that a solo version would keep the game from dying once again. It would even be nice to have a version where people could host servers to keep it alive.

I don't ever want TLOPO to shutdown, nor do I think it will for a while. I'm just saying that the MMO online aspect should be focused on first, then once it's done, an offline and/or server host version should at least be considered even just for post-ceasing service to prevent a second death in the future. I'm not saying that as a pessimist, I'm saying that as someone who loves POTCO and wants it to carry on as long as possible. There is no shame in having a back up plan.

I think that TLOPO should have an offline version ready in the event that multiplayer can no longer be sustained.

Hear me out. I understand concerns about an offline mode simultaneously within the MMO environment. During the game's supported lifespan, I'll agree. The foundation of the game is an MMO. Id rather have resources devoted to optimizing the game and running it to the best of its ability.

However, eventually support will end some day. When ever TLOPO does cease multiplayer funding, be it a month from release or 50 years from release, I'd like to see a single player adapted version so that when the MMO can no longer run, or the team needs rebuilding, or another team must pick it up, or something else happens, that a solo version would keep the game from dying once again. It would even be nice to have a version where people could host servers to keep it alive.

I don't ever want TLOPO to shutdown, nor do I think it will for a while. I'm just saying that the MMO online aspect should be focused on first, then once it's done, an offline and/or server host version should at least be considered even just for post-ceasing service to prevent a second death in the future. I'm not saying that as a pessimist, I'm saying that as someone who loves POTCO and wants it to carry on as long as possible. There is no shame in having a back up plan.

Agreed, I just hope if the game does go briefly offline (as you said in the case of rebuilding the team), the offline character is forced to be offline only. If was able to log into the live game after one grinds singler player, it would make the game no fun. Thats just my opinion though.

Agreed, I just hope if the game does go briefly offline (as you said in the case of rebuilding the team), the offline character is forced to be offline only. If was able to log into the live game after one grinds singler player, it would make the game no fun. Thats just my opinion though.
Well offline would be like a local host server so the player information would be different anyway.

I think the best way to do this is when TLOPO does eventually close they release a program allowing you to locally host a serve for you and your friends off your own internet so you can keep playing with your friends. Lets be honest we don't hangout with thousands of people we probably have a guild of 30 people or something and the post-TLOPO program could let you run your own server whenever you want with you and your friends. But I see this only when the game is going to close, to avoid people not playing on the main servers but opting for the personal ones (as we obviously want people to play on the real servers haha) And like NubSmoo said it would have all new data anyway so you can start over with your friends and save your progress. Could be nice would love to see this happen exactly like I said when TLOPO reaches its elder times.

I would really enjoy an offline mode! It would need more content though, like higher level caps and more weapons.
:thumbsup:

Back