Sailing Windcatcher boosts seems to make no difference

BrandonSJ96

Honorable Pirate
I was using my explorer's sea chart during a mat run and one thing I did notice is it does not make me go any faster than my max speed. I remained at top speed of 11 knots when I have it equipped in my belt and without it, I'm still at 11 knots. It is supposed to give me 13 knots maximum though.

i believe that is intentional with this being the cause of it
1587470830397.png

The max Windcatcher boost will apply a 20% boost to your ship speed. We have found some inconsistencies with sailing items when they apply their boosts; however, anything above rank 5 Windcatcher will not affect your ship speed (POTCO intended it to be this way). For the most part, Windcatcher works properly now.

In order to properly comment on your issue, I'd need to know ship type, what upgrade you have on it, what item you're using and the skill points allocated to your Windcatcher.

Windcatcher.png

If you look at this chart, POTCO essentially misled people who didn't look closely. There's diminishing returns beginning at Windcatcher 5, anything after Windcatcher 5 won't affect your ship speed. You can find this with several other skills across the game as well.

In order to properly comment on your issue, I'd need to know ship type, what upgrade you have on it, what item you're using and the skill points allocated to your Windcatcher.
I was using the War Frigate with lvl 6 fortune hunter rigged with +2 open fire. Only 1 point is allocated to my windcatcher and added +2 from the Explorers sea chart I was using.

I was using the War Frigate with lvl 6 fortune hunter rigged with +2 open fire. Only 1 point is allocated to my windcatcher and added +2 from the Explorers sea chart I was using.
Should be an 8% speed increase with your build and chart. That ends up being 11.88 knots, I’m not sure if that would show as 12 by rounding or if your display just truncates thus still showing 11. It’s hard to say if something is wrong or not based on this thread. As I recall from potco you did get the speed bonus fractions even though they didn’t show on the whole knot display, maybe that is happening here? It’s certainly not true that Windcatcher doesn’t increase speed beyond rank 5, it just drops to 2% per rank instead of 4%.

Alright so I double checked, and everything looks correct.

A regular War Frigate starts out at 9 knots as it's base. When you get to a combination of three with Windcatcher, it will get you to 10 knots. A Fortune Hunter will then increase your speed by one knot at the Tier V level. This gets you to 11 knots. This is correct.

Previously, Windcatcher wasn't behaving right and was giving people unheard of speeds, like 13 knots for a Fortune Hunter War Frigate. This allowed a Fortune Hunter War Frigate (in TLOPO) to go as fast as a Stormchaser War Sloop in POTCO.

Last edited:
Alright so I double checked, and everything looks correct.

A regular War Frigate starts out at 9 knots as it's base. When you get to a combination of three with Windcatcher, it will get you to 10 knots. A Fortune Hunter will then increase your speed by one knot at the Tier V level. This gets you to 11 knots. This is correct.

Previously, Windcatcher wasn't behaving right and was giving people unheard of speeds, like 13 knots for a Fortune Hunter War Frigate. This allowed a Fortune Hunter War Frigate (in TLOPO) to go as fast as a Stormchaser War Sloop in POTCO.
Okay that's good to know. At least I now know how this windcatcher thing works. This ends the discussion.

So, what's the point of making it like potco? A 2% change is unnoticeable. In fact, a 6% change is unnoticeable.
Furthermore, with all following ships being Fortune Hunters with +8 Windcatcher -
War Brig - 13 knots
War Frig - 13 knots
War Sloop - 13 knots
Sloop - 13 knots

So, what is point of making all ships the same speed?

Because Windcatcher was bugged in TLOPO, and we aren't fond of bugged skills -- they serve to only further Jolly's plot against Pirates everywhere!

For what it's worth, we aren't trying to make every ship the same speed -- sailing charts appear to be bugged from what I'm seeing, which is unrelated to Windcatcher. We're looking into it.

So, what's the point of making it like potco? A 2% change is unnoticeable. In fact, a 6% change is unnoticeable.
Furthermore, with all following ships being Fortune Hunters with +8 Windcatcher -
War Brig - 13 knots
War Frig - 13 knots
War Sloop - 13 knots
Sloop - 13 knots

So, what is point of making all ships the same speed?

Nothing was changed with the base speed values of each ship type. All classes of ships have their independent starting values. If all classes of ships are ending at the same speed, I'd beg to believe that isn't intended. However, the goal of it was NOT to make all ships the same speed, it was to mend a bug that was cultivated through repairing an age-old issue years ago.

Thank you for all the bugs you are mending. However, as regards the Windcatcher issue, you have made the Chart Windcatcher buff useless as it has no noticeable effect.

Back