Request Windows XP support

TheReaper

Sea Legs
This may be a stupid question, but is it possible to make this game compatible with windows XP because the original game was. I know that my OS is way behind, but if it can't can it be compatible with Windows Vista. Thanks and I really like that you brought this game back from the dead :) .

As mentioned in the dev stream, a very small fraction of players actually use XP or Vista, and the support has not been added for it. If you really don't want to upgrade to 7, you can just run a virtual windows 7 machine.

I LOVE XP and will never lose my feeling for it, but Win 7 is perfect for anything I do now so might as well upgrade if you don't do what Divine suggested

My love for Windows XP will last for the eternity... :sad1:

Win7 is the closer you can get that one could resemble it to XP. See if you can get your hands on a license otherwise go Win10

Thanks for the replies. I may be able to upgrade to windows 7, but I would have to delete a bunch of files to create enough space for it if I can even upgrade to it since it is a old machine. The Windows 7 virtual machine thing seems interesting i'm going to try that.

What are your computer specs?
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2014MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro

Free Space: 32.7 GB
Total Space: 305.2 GB

It's time to upgrade your computer. The game won't be supporting windows XP, would be a waste of time to do so with how outdated the OS is. Even if they did support it it certainly wouldn't run great, if at all, on that hardware. That is ancient.

Definitely agree with @Bart Gunshot. Gonna need an upgrade or a new computer.

If you want to build one which is MUCH cheaper than buying a prebuilt. Me plenty of other people here can help you pick parts if you need or help you find the right computer.

If building one is just too daunting, which it is for many people, I recommend this baby
Click her for recommended

You can also just upgrade your ram, windows version, and CPU. But if it's old enough to have XP on it you should just get a new one.

Definitely agree with @Bart Gunshot. Gonna need an upgrade or a new computer.

If you want to build one which is MUCH cheaper than buying a prebuilt. Me plenty of other people here can help you pick parts if you need or help you find the right computer.

If building one is just too daunting, which it is for many people, I recommend this baby
Click her for recommended

You can also just upgrade your ram, windows version, and CPU. But if it's old enough to have XP on it you should just get a new one.
The motherboard's chipset is so old that there is really no decent enough or worthwhile CPU upgrade worth getting... Also the ram is probably DDR2. The harddrive is only 300gb capacity so its really old as well and a harddrive that old is prone to fail sometime soon. The PSU is probably some proprietary below 300w.

Its not worth upgrading in the slightest. Get a new computer, anything would be an upgrade at this point. Although I would strongly consider getting a custom built or build one your own to avoid getting a HP bloatware machine. Do your research keeping in mind what you are using it for. You don't need some ultra expensive gaming computer to run TLOPO and do some light internet browsing and multitasking. However if you do want to do some gaming besides TLOPO look into something with a better graphics card.

My honest opinion is that if you had a slightly better CPU, swapping your computer all together wouldn't be that necessary at all. We're using the exact same technology when it comes to desktop computers.

I currently have an E5200 @ 2.50Ghz (tad faster than yours), 4GB of ram to back it up & NVIDIA GeForce 210. I'm able to play TLOPO on low to medium settings without any issues. With the upcoming update, things will be a lot more better for the game so these aging systems won't troubleshoot issues hardware-wise with the game.

Your main problem is the CPU bottlenecking your system's overall performance. Let alone the graphics card card which for 256MB of VRAM, it can't keep up with today's standards.

Getting a new PC is probably a safe and straightforward option for you. But should you're unable to afford such an update at the moment, you can rest assured that your current machine is fully supported by Windows 7. I was able to confirm with AMD/ATI, and there's an updated driver for your GPU.

From a personal aspect and because I'm crazy enough myself, I'll go ahead and upgrade my aging computer. I'm overall convinced that it will be able to handle such an upgrade. I've also found a CPU upgrade path which will allow me to get a CPU 4x faster than the one I currently have. But this is not something I would recommend you do because it requires a bit more work on user's end.

I hope I was able to help a bit. Take care!

Thanks for all the help. I was planning on making a custom computer, but im not sure if it will ever end up happening since next year I may be getting very busy and not have time for pc gaming so there would be no point in getting it. Hopefully I will get to making one, but thanks for all the replies :) .

The motherboard's chipset is so old that there is really no decent enough or worthwhile CPU upgrade worth getting... Also the ram is probably DDR2. The harddrive is only 300gb capacity so its really old as well and a harddrive that old is prone to fail sometime soon. The PSU is probably some proprietary below 300w.

Its not worth upgrading in the slightest. Get a new computer, anything would be an upgrade at this point. Although I would strongly consider getting a custom built or build one your own to avoid getting a HP bloatware machine. Do your research keeping in mind what you are using it for. You don't need some ultra expensive gaming computer to run TLOPO and do some light internet browsing and multitasking. However if you do want to do some gaming besides TLOPO look into something with a better graphics card.

Will the game run well on Windows 10?

Umm...It can play 4K videos flawlessly. Does...does that make it pretty good?
No, unless you are running a 4k resolution display from it. Video playback isn't that hard on a computer, its a set of prerendered frames (images) in a file. Playing a video game involves rendering out each of those frames at realtime which is much much harder than simply playing them back.

Back