Would you like a chatroom for the forums

Would you like a chatroom for the forums?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GunsInMyBoots

Wanted Pirate
Well decided to go ahead and ask this question, the wiki has one and I Think it would be awesome if the forums had one and it would really help people meet new friends. :) What do you guys think?

Yeah I Know but Davy said he would consider it more if there was a poll.. so here it is! :)

I was not aware that Davy ever mentioned that he would consider this chat? Other matters, I believe so, but not a chat room. It is so repeated, but he could re-state his opinion, probably for the tenth times.

A chat room is going to defeat the purpose of a forum. People would chat with each other instead of having a communal place to 'speak up' (read: type) where everybody else can read (because it is recorded), and is also welcomed to get involved. That is the whole purpose of a forum.

fo·rum

/ˈfôrəm/

Noun
  1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
  2. An Internet message board.

There is already a private conversation facility, if any of you wants to chat with certain people, up to 6 people at once. If you need to find a forum that has a chat room as well, there must be other forums that provide it. Our forums does not have to follow suit.

Sometimes when a parent says "no", it means "no". End of the story. Just an illustration. ;)

If you need to find a forum that has a chat room as well, there must be other forums that provide it. Our forums does not have to follow suit.
But.... we don't want to chase members away due to our lack of chatroom. On most forums (besides the wiki) it's hardly ever used- that being said if it isn't used enough during the first few days, we can always delete it.

I was not aware that Davy ever mentioned that he would consider this chat?
I Asked him on his profile
2w6gub4.png

and you don't have to go look up the definition of forum..
But.... we don't want to chase members away due to our lack of chatroom. On most forums (besides the wiki) it's hardly ever used- that being said if it isn't used enough during the first few days, we can always delete it.
and yeah maybe try it out then delete it if it doesn't work! ;)

I Asked him on his profile
2w6gub4.png

I saw that on Davy's profile. One thing I sometimes don't get is that some things in life, you just can't have, and that's the end of it. Knowing that we have gone through this kind of conversation so many times (just like Bad pointed out and Davy Darkrage stated), asking again and again is similar to 'testing the limit'. Yes, you can always test the limit, but the answer ... it is still a NO.

and you don't have to go look up the definition of forum..

Some people are just 'stubborn' ... even though they knew it (just like some of you all knew the definition of a forum), they still did/ask for it. Just like a lot of things in life; we come across things like this almost on daily basis. The solutions?

1) Keep on pointing it out (just like what Bad did, what Davy stated, and what I posted about the definition of a forum - we we have done at least 3 times, if not more).
2) Ignore the request. Somebody can ask as many times as he/she wants ...

Got the idea? ;)

and yeah maybe try it out then delete it if it doesn't work! ;)

I would say, it is not that easy (or at least it takes more than a regular effort) to put that chat room in here. To just delete it when it does not work, that can only be said by people who don't do the work/effort to put it together. When we take the effort, we want it to work, not the opposite. Who would want to waste time like that; it's easy to say if it's not their time to waste, but somebody else's time (read: Davy's).

Then again, it all comes down to what the Forums' vision is; to bring a community of Potco players together through discussions. As simple as that.

I say we wait for a few more responses from the poll and then decide, I think everyone can see from posts above the pros and cons, and will vote accordingly :)

I say we wait for a few more responses from the poll and then decide, I think everyone can see from posts above the pros and cons, and will vote accordingly :)

I just want to "point out" that the result of the votes does not necessarily mean that the highest votes will result in the decision of having a chat room or not.

I remember a few years ago in this forums we had the same discussion topic (I was one of the oldies in this forums along with the other oldies involved in this discussion - before Facebook became as popular as today). One of those considerations was 'moderation'. This Forums has always been moderated - unlike Facebook where you can pretty much say whatever you want about anybody you want, unless the person/the people you comment on negatively report(s) official complain(s) to Facebook Admin. Who would have to keep an eye on the chat room like in Wiki?

Long before Davy released the Albums feature, we had a serious discussion about the moderation as well. It was not just about how to code those things (i.e. Albums, Chat room), but also about daily operation, which moderation was a must-have. The difference is, that Albums are "static"; once they are posted, the posts pretty much stay there. So a moderator can take his/her time to go through them, and they don't need continuous surveillance at any time during the day. Chats - on the other hand - are "dynamic" - just like Potco's chats - they continuously demand dedicated moderators at any time the chat room is available. Based on the complexity it carries, if we stay true to our mission to provide a safe and neutral environment, a chat room is really not feasible to execute. So having a chat room is not as easy as some of you might think.

Well of course the idea sounds good, but there will always be that one person who decides to ruin the fun for everyone. The chat would need to be monitored at all times otherwise who knows what could be written. The written could be offensive, vulgar, etc. which for our younger members could be mentally scarring and I believe that their parents would not approve.

Perhaps if it had to be turned on by either a lead mod or admin whom would monitor it until they log off, then I would support the idea.

However at the moment I personally feel this idea just will not end well or will have permanent damaging moments. My vote was no.

In my opinion I do not think there should be a public chatroom. I honestly think it would be abused, especially now since there are many malicious people/hackers lurking around the Potco community. It could be very challanging to moderate a chat for the entire forum community, as anything someone would have said a minute ago could be flooded out by other comments in the chat log. Spammers, and just the amount of people on the forums could make it hard to keep track of conversations.

I do however think it make be a good idea to possibly upgrade the current private "Conversations" (PM). Making that into a chat format and having a real-time conversation would both satisify the people who want a chatroom, and make it easier for people who are having private forum conversations.

I voted no. This is a case of "less is more".

The 24/7 moderation would seem to be one of the biggest hurdles to overcome. In a chat room setting HERE (little kids, for real, little kids), everything, really everything would have to be looked at--everything. <--- That is assuming the chat is comparable to disney's, yahoo's--a chat chat. Real time.

I believe it could be argued that a duty may even exist, but I'm no attorney.

I voted no - Just like the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I simply see no reason for the need of a real-time chat room. The current conversation system we have right now seems fine to me. You can chat with friends in real time if their on and they can reply later if their not. Of course, it could (I assume) be updated to help improve upon certain aspects of it.

Real-time chat rooms always lead to trouble without close and constant moderation. There is always that one "bad apple" that wants to cause trouble among all the good souls out there. It would be more effort then its worth, I think.

A disclaimer could be placed on the chatroom... stating that it is moderated as closely as possible but piratesforums.co is not responsible for any of the chats in the chatroom. If that isn't enough for the younger players to either, ask mom or dad about it, or to just move away from it. They have no business on the internet to begin with. Just my 2 cents.

Back