15,000 Signatures

Do you think we will get 15,000 signatures? Would you support it?

• Yes, we will get 15,000 and I support it.

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • No, we will not get 15,000 but I support it.

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • No, we will not get 15,000 and I do not support it.

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

Sparky Wonderwolf

Site Founder
I couldn't really find a better way to title this, but a friend of mine from the POTC Fanon Wiki emailed Disney. They replied back with the following -

Proof%2FEmail.jpg

Disney says they'll consider re-opening if there's 15,000 which would therefore mean we would be only 12,000 short on the basis of Revive POTCO. I am not saying we will totally see POTCO again but am more so polling for opinions. Whats your take on this?

Link to his blog: http://potcfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Captain_Ned_Edgewalker/We_have_a_chance_to_revive_POTCO

Indeed. At the time of the closure, daily player standings barely exceeded 5,000... so, at most, we'd perhaps make 1/3 of the goal.
Not to mention that some of those could have been alts of the same player. So for 4,000 pirates on the leaderboards, there were only 1,000 players. Of course that is just an example, but hopefully I made my point. :)

Not to mention that some of those could have been alts of the same player. So for 4,000 pirates on the leaderboards, there were only 1,000 players. Of course that is just an example, but hopefully I made my point. :)

That makes sense. A lot of word is going around amongst (what you know as the PPW) our community about it being a possibility even if it w=is a long shot as after all if ToonTown supposedly has almost 20k signatures on their petition that it is possible that POTCO could achieve this as well. However, that is what they say and not I. I remain skeptical and only poll for opinions across the webs. :p

Yes, I see where you're coming from... That being said, 15,000 is virtually impossible - and I don't think many people would be willing to sign. Disney broke many hearts in September, including mine - and no amount of "revival" will compensate for that.

And I quote the email message,
15,000 signatures are required
Question: Since when did Disney/Disney Interactive agree to deal with such absolutes? Wouldn't this sort of information have been disclosed to the POTCO community during the height of the Revive POTCO petition movement (when the player base was more accepting and 'eager' in contemplating a revival)?

The actual "timing" of this email makes me question it's legitimacy and like JFR had mentioned, if it is legitimate then how does Disney expect such a mass quantity of signatures to be obtained considering the fact that the player base of POTCO has been damaged (and Disney's reputation has been tarnished). :confused:

Next, I know that there are rumors going around about Schell Games buying Toontown. I can't really talk about this, but I will say that there are discussions going on about the future of Toontown, and whether companies external to Disney will be a part of that. Unfortunately, these conversations are likely to be slow, so we should all anticipate Toontown closing on the date that has been announced.
Source: http://keeptoontownopen.deviantart.com/journal/Advice-From-Jesse-Schell-396955921
(I think this post was made in August, around the time of the announcement of the closures)
Jesse Schell, former team member of the original TT dev team, supposedly trying to buy the rights to TT from Disney. Though I remember possibly seeing somewhere that Disney declined, claiming to much legal work, but don't hold me to that...

Looking back, this caught my attention. If this truly from Disney, and I mean whoever posted this is not lying, than I might perhaps believe that it would work. Another thing is, I think it would also be better to bring back revive petition crew back but instead, maybe use change.org or another similar website as that is a petition website where you have to use accurate information. Also, players would have to use their real names, within the confidentiality of the website, and provided only to Disney. No fake information as that would just hurt the petition. The job of the petition crew would serve more as promoters (after everything is set up) as everything is done in the website and this is the tricky part. If done right, you can spread the word to more than just the latest players of potco. That would include former players from long ago that can be reached with the help of admins from various potco forums and mmo players who are willing to support even if they don't care for potco but support the mmo gaming industry.

Just my two cents.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Analyzing the facts, the "official story", the "on the table stuff"....
First point : 15000 signatures.... As we've all agreed, its a nearly-impossible goal.
Second point: They do not explicitly promise reviving the game, only that achieving said amount of signatures would increase our chances of having the game revived-
Third point : they wish the "best of luck in getting the 15000 signatures ----- how charming

What WE know :
- The game was closed, mainly because of economical reasons..... business is business.....
- Other games were closed as well....
- Disney is developing INFINITY, which is not based in the PoTC brand exclusively, but in a mixture of many brands.
- Disney has stood for decades, and still stands as an icon and banner of entertainment ( mainly for children though... ) and has become a synonym for global entertainment ( a little reiterative, I know... )
- The PoTC brand, and correct me if I'm wrong, isn't decidedly on its prime, so we can assume ( and with certain degree of sanity ) that it is time to put it on the old books' shelf or bury it deep (heartbreaking for us,... completely ; profitable and "business wise" for Disney,.... absolutely ).

Conclusion and why not opinion: ..... Who could possibly have a better knowledge of the game's player-rates and continuity, of the game's actual state, other than Disney itself?... If they know, ( since we've already guessed it by ourselves ) that the playing rate is not nearly a half of what they ask, why ask such a big amount of signatures??

There are many ways of seeing this, but we can highlight two main possibilities : Disney saying ******* **** ***** ***** ***** ***** and ***** ** *** that we should ever revive this game for you, **** **** **** **** ahaha ****.
Or : Looks guys, the thing is simple, if you don't get dear Uncle Bob 15k new players with credit cards so that he can get his so beloved Golf-Estate in Western Cambodia, there is no more Potco; BUT, if you can assure us that there is still a potential market for this, we might consider re-activating it....

It is though, a hunch worth fighting for, this of reactivating our dear game, but things would still be the same... Disney would still be a profit-seeking-business ( as always ), and we would still be the ones injecting our money into the equation... :drink:

"Us at the Disney staff"
I agree as the last time that I had checked, customer support (i.e., staff members from Disney) usually end such emails with either their real or full Disney staff name (and not some 'generalized' salutation ending).

*Don't let yourselves be deceived. Disney as a corporation has a strict policy in place to where staff members and employees will not communicate directly with the public on such matters and this is especially true in this case since the gain of 15,000 signatures "implies" the idea that they may take action in response to the achievement of such a goal.

To remind everyone, the Revive POTCO petition received no direct response/words of encouragement from anyone actively employed by Disney/Disney Interactive during the course and span of an entire year. (The messages that were received all came from ex-Disney/Disney Interactive employees).

Back