POTCO - Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soo is it possible to make enemies on your server like there were on potco or is it just the islands/models?
I could retexture zombies and the other monsters already ingame, however the model would not look like a POTCO skeleton, and there would be no way I could make a alligator or a scropion. A mod could do it, but I don't know Java, nor have time for learning it ATM. If anyone knows Java and wants to make a mod, go ahead, I'll most likely use it if it works. ;)
----------------------------​
I'm almost done, some texturing left to do but most of Rambleshack is complete.
2014-11-08_22.31.23.png

screenshot_2011-12-27_16-03-27.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------​
Rambleshack is complete. (Mostly*)

It looks better than I could have imagined, IMO and I am eager to get started on the next island. I will prepare a download later on after I have some time to write a guide on how to play it. Anyways, here are the pictures, enjoy. My favorite thing has to be the light sloop, it looks pretty good for my first ship.
2014-11-02_18.41.06.jpg 2014-11-09_18.47.31.jpg 2014-11-09_18.47.49.jpg 2014-11-09_18.48.40.jpg

*I have yet to polish some things up so you don't see an island floating in water, or the interiors of the buildings in view distance about 20 blocks from the mainland.

I could retexture zombies and the other monsters already ingame, however the model would not look like a POTCO skeleton, and there would be no way I could make a alligator or a scropion. A mod could do it, but I don't know Java, nor have time for learning it ATM. If anyone knows Java and wants to make a mod, go ahead, I'll most likely use it if it works. ;)
----------------------------​
I'm almost done, some texturing left to do but most of Rambleshack is complete.
View attachment 62880
View attachment 62881
---------------------------------------------------------------​
Rambleshack is complete. (Mostly*)

It looks better than I could have imagined, IMO and I am eager to get started on the next island. I will prepare a download later on after I have some time to write a guide on how to play it. Anyways, here are the pictures, enjoy. My favorite thing has to be the light sloop, it looks pretty good for my first ship.
View attachment 62882 View attachment 62883 View attachment 62884 View attachment 62885

*I have yet to polish some things up so you don't see an island floating in water, or the interiors of the buildings in view distance about 20 blocks from the mainland.
I am truly impressed by this project's progress. I am eager and excited to see the final product! Thank you @Bart Gunshot for sharing the map with me, as well as allowing me to showcase your amazing progress in a series of videos.

Enjoy,

Everything that I could think of -- and that is possible, using Minecraft + Optifine/MCpatcher resource pack features-- without taking immense amounts of memory, has been done. :)

And thank you all for your kind words!
I am truly impressed by this project's progress. I am eager and excited to see the final product! Thank you @Bart Gunshot for sharing the map with me, as well as allowing me to showcase your amazing progress in a series of videos.
Enjoy,
@Bart Gunshot - I took the time to watch JDP's video of this "creativity" and project of yours and I have to admit, if I knew a response would be given back to me by someone presently working for Disney/Disney Interactive, I would present to them this work of yours and exclaim to them..."see? POTCO still has (devoted) fans whom remain highly interested in the concept of such a MMO!"
*Mate, I don't even play MC but this concept and world makes me
want to; wonderful job, me heartie! :arrrrr:

Two things
1 Good job mate!
2 When can I play this! :D
The project of a whole won't be completed for a while, rambleshack probally took me about 48 hours to complete (I actually have no idea, just what I feel). However this time is strewn across about a month because I simply cannot devote my life to this, (it would be dumb and stupid to do so). This project, doesn't have a release date. I know better than to get people's hopes up, and to feel like I HAVE to complete this. I want the project to be fun for myself and others.

That being said I will release Rambleshack as a download by itself, nothing but Rambleshack. This weekend. Also I will be including easter eggs, (secrets pertaining to references, jokes, etc.) in this map to give some kind of motive for exploring around (Besides some bit of nostaliga relived). :D

If anyone is reading this I need some feedback.

On Johnny's video of the project many people are wanting some kind of storyline. I've thought about it and I've decided I will try it out, this requires dialogues which are relatively easy to do, and NPCs which are difficult to do. I have two options for doing this.

One is to try out this Custom NPC Mod. This would require players of the map to download and install the mod which can be troublesome for some people, and the mod is for 1.7 Minecraft, the version I am currently using now -- because MCPatcher/Optifine texture/resource pack features are not stable or complete. However the skins applied must be a PLAYER skin, so I would not be able to make a HD Will Turner.

Second is to bite the bullet and try to update to 1.8. 1.8 has a new tag you can apply to entities called the NOAI tag. This basically makes it so that a entity will not have an AI, and will stand still. I can then HD texture, to the best of my ability, the blocky models of a Villager to look vaguely like Will Turner. 1.8 will also provide many other features that could help: Custom block models, Various very very useful commands, etc. HOWEVER many texture pack things will be broken, beyond repair. For example, I can't have transparent netherrack anymore.

Tell me what you guys think.

I think the commands in 1.8 would be beneficial, as well as the new NOAI tag for entities. Will MCPatcher/Optifine restore all missing functionality in 1.8 eventually (ie transparent netherrack, etc.)?

If so I'd play around with 1.8, and make a decision after messing around with it and seeing if there are any show stoppers.

I think the commands in 1.8 would be beneficial, as well as the new NOAI tag for entities. Will MCPatcher/Optifine restore all missing functionality in 1.8 eventually (ie transparent netherrack, etc.)?

If so I'd play around with 1.8, and make a decision after messing around with it and seeing if there are any show stoppers.
I did end up trying it the other day, and the Resource Pack is practically broken. It seems that Microjang hard coded it so that transparency cannot be used on non-transparent blocks (not glass, ice, water, etc.) to elminate the use of Xray Resource Packs. Which is dumb because someone can mod their client to have no-clip, actual Xray, and flying anyways. The makers of MCpatcher and Optfine have simply said it is not possible anymore.

Besides me not being able to have transparent textures, which are kinda needed for asthetic purposes, many other things were broken as well, I don't know if these were features the makers of Optifine/Mcpatcher haven't implented yet, or just not possible anymore. But I do know that as of now, updating isn't really all that feasible unforuntately. As of now I think I will hold off on making a decision, as the transparency isn't that big of an issue. If major features I am using are impossible though, I most likely will not be updating.

I did end up trying it the other day, and the Resource Pack is practically broken. It seems that Microjang hard coded it so that transparency cannot be used on non-transparent blocks (not glass, ice, water, etc.) to elminate the use of Xray Resource Packs. Which is dumb because someone can mod their client to have no-clip, actual Xray, and flying anyways. The makers of MCpatcher and Optfine have simply said it is not possible anymore.
That's lame.. I guess time will tell with the other stuff. With or without a story what you've already done is simply amazing.

Sorry for not releasing last week. Forums were down when I wanted to post it, I don't use my computer during the week because I am extremely busy. But anyways here is the Rambleshack release. No easter eggs yet, however I did spend some time polishing it up so it is easy to get around and view. I also created a hub type thing that will be used as a place to do stuff and teleport to the various islands.

Here is the download. Everything needed as well as instructions are included. Please follow the instructions titled "README" or else you most definitely will not experience the map as it is meant to be experienced. A copy is provided below.

The main folder "POTCO Map.zip" needs to be unzipped so that Minecraft will be able to load it properly. To do this, follow the sub-instructions below.
1. WINDOWS: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compress-uncompress-files-zip-files#1TC=windows-7
2. MAC: http://macs.about.com/od/faq1/f/How-To-Zip-And-Unzip-Files-And-Folders-On-A-Mac.htm
3. LINUX: http://www.wikihow.com/Unzip-Files-in-Linux
After you have an unzipped "POTCO Map" folder, find your Minecraft folder. If you are unsure how to do this follow the instructions below.
1. ALL OS: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/.minecraft
Drag and drop the "POTCO Map" folder into the .minecraft/saves

Now to install the very important resource pack. The resource pack is named "POTCO Resource Pack.zip" we do not have to unzip this
Drag and drop the resource pack into .minecraft/resourcepacks

Now we must install MCPatcher or Optifine. I recommend MCPatcher. Currently this map uses Minecraft 1.7.10. Make sure to get that version of either Optifine
or MCPatcher. Follow the instructions for downloading them on the pages below.
1. MCPatcher: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...1-1-7-10-and-earlier-update-11-4-mcpatcher-hd
2. Optifine: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...ne-hd-a4-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-as heck-and

After you have sucessfully installed either MCPatcher or Optifine to Minecraft 1.7.10, launch that copy of Minecraft.

AFTER LAUNCHING IMMEDIATELY GO TO SETTINGS AND SWITCH THE RESOURCE PACK TO THE POTCO RESOURCE PACK!!! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

After selecting the resource pack launch the save file and enjoy playing!

Enjoy checking out my progress, and if you could please use this form to address any bugs/concerns you may have.

I will be taking a break for now on the Map progress. I will come back to it. I'm just not feeling like myself lately and have lost inspiration. Thanks for your understanding.

Ill try it out later, Bart :) Why do we need MCpatcher or Optifine and what do they do?
Minecraft Resource packs are very limited in what you can do. In vanilla Minecraft you can have one single texture per block, this gets very repetive and just looks extremely bad especially with high res textures. Here is an example below.
image.jpg
As you can see the same feature is repeated over and over again (the darker indentation into the rock). Each 128x128 square image when placed next to each other like in Minecraft created this unwanted pattern. This really isn't desirable and is not aesthetically pleasing. MCpatcher or Optifine allow for a block to have multiple textures. This makes it so that a 512x512 image can be split up into 16 128x128 textures and be mapped into a 4x4 area of blocks. This makes its so that the textures are less repetitive and only repeat every 4 blocks.
image.jpg

MCpatcher and Optifine also have a few other features that are not with vanilla Minecraft. One is the ability to have a sky map which I use. Another is the ability to determine what side a texture is rendered onto a block. You may determine: top, bottom, sides, north, south, east, or west. This makes it so that if you wanted a single block could have a different texture on each of it's faces. I used this feature.

Some other things I don't use is the ability to have a custom color overlay for any block. The ability to have repeated (shown above), random, horizontal, and vertical connected texture methods. And much much more.

Some textures are broken with Optifine but with MCPatcher, everything looks and sounds amazing.
Thanks for taking the time to give an extremely detailed bug report, I think I know what the problem is.

EDIT: I actually have no idea what the problem is. I'll look into it some more.

2nd EDIT: (IMPORTANT)

I have been working to update the map to 1.8 this weekend and I have most textures working and I have a workaround to deal with the transparent textures, most notably netherrack. It even looks a bit better honestly.
Here is a sneak peak at the new way I'm doing fire, Can you guess how?
2014-11-23_18.54.21.png

There is a problem however. Optifine and MCpatcher at the moment no longer have the same file format for properties files. I also have no idea what the updated Optifine format is. There is very little documentation on the Optifine update in terms of texture/resource packs.

So for now, possibly ever, I will be dropping "support" for Optifine. There is simply not enough documentation on the resource/texture pack support of Optifine. I highly recommend MCpatcher, and I know some people rely on Optifine for performance increase but, without proper documentation I cannot know how to do things. Even documentation for MCpatcher is vague, outdated, and hard to understand but Optifine's is non-existent. So I am sorry for that, if you know about how this stuff works feel free to write up some documentation, this would be a help to everyone.

Also there are still some issues with MCpatcher, but at the moment it is workable and usable for 1.8.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I did some technical things that I felt were essential for me to do before continuing on with developing this map. First thing I have done is space out the islands equally from each other using MCedit. This makes it much easier, as each island is centered 2000 blocks away from each other. If I need to get to an island I can just teleport myself there using multiples of 2000. Also I can center certain events such as music around that central point instead of wondering what are the coordinates of the island.
mcedit.JPG

I have then gone ahead and made a spreadsheet to keep track of the islands and what needs to be done.
Capture.JPG

Lastly I have made a functioning music player that can be used for all of the islands. The old way was pretty makeshift and not practical. This way has the problem that the music may take a short time to start playing upon visiting the island. But there is really nothing I can do to fix that. This was probably the hardest thing, as Command Blocks are new to me. Also I never want to hear the Will and Elizabeth song again because of all the debugging I had to do.:eek:
2014-12-13_19.17.51.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Christmas break is here, therefore I have time to work on the map. Today I did some minimal things, mainly technical once again. I have been fixing problems that have arose and making everything more streamlined. Besides that I have worked on the following eye candy.

Font, title screen, and some UI elements.
titlescreen.JPG

I have then also used the new 1.8 barrier blocks to prevent people from getting out of the map and not being able to get back in. (don't worry they are invisible if you do not hold a barrier block in your inventory!)
2014-12-19_19.20.55.jpg

As well as worked on some nicely transitioning cutscenes...
2014-12-19_19.31.05.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back