Release Notes 2018-1-22 tlopo-rc-v1.8.3

Presumably, though you never say so directly, this means that drop rates of the better items has been increased. I suspect that this is a bad idea brought about by whiners who played for an hour or so and didn't get the WEB even though they felt they had done way more than they needed to do to get every item in the game. I really think the best items need to be more difficult to obtain not easier. It's pretty certain that all these people had all 10 legendaries in potco even though they only played for a year, like in tlopo, forget the fact that RC has only been open for a few weeks. A classic case of caving to an unthinking crowd. How are better loot drops good for the game?

Only the texture has been changed, not the model used to display the circle. Nothing has been touched in that regard, so the Loot Pouch's circle is exactly the same as it was before.
Classic case of psychological color influence.
And or optical illusions.

Last edited:
I am complaining because i like working for my loot ,and the last thing this game needs is to become more casual. Loot runs already ruined all the non cursed famed and legendary items. It made all these items less rare and have less value. The only thing we had left was cursed weapons being untouched ,and them being for the players who actually put in some effort instead of going afk on ships and expecting loot like entitled little casuals. The easier these items are to get the more the longevity of the game is butchered in favor of accessibility. It's like when a toddler says it wants to only eat candy it really doesn't and you have to be the one to tell it to eat other things.

I can safely report that as far as I'm concerned, loot on land is still, well, as poor as ever.
I'm not complaining though, since I agree with Eric that it should be a serious challenge and not candy on Halloween or something akin to that simplistic process.
What's next? Ships of the Line for the whiners?
Maybe a potion that can make them level 50 instantly?
What do I know...

I am complaining because i like working for my loot ,and the last thing this game needs is to become more casual. Loot runs already ruined all the non cursed famed and legendary items. It made all these items less rare and have less value. The only thing we had left was cursed weapons being untouched ,and them being for the players who actually put in some effort instead of going afk on ships and expecting loot like entitled little casuals. The easier these items are to get the more the longevity of the game is butchered in favor of accessibility. It's like when a toddler says it wants to only eat candy it really doesn't and you have to be the one to tell it to eat other things.
For one, I definitely see an improvement just in the last session minutes ago. More gold, more weapons and sensible rewards. It wasn't any easier at all as I still had to fight high enemies. I did not get any famed, only some rare and one cursed in the two hours I worked thrall room of three creeps from 43 to 50 varied. At least 10 skulls. The only for sure improvement was the gold amount which I think is much more on par now with my lvl and effort. And not one single pouch was better than any skull chest. I think the improvement was very conservative, but apparent.

I do not agree the loot got any 'easier' or denser. It looked better dispersed actually. All loot containers generally looked fuller again.

Again, over two hours, no legendary, no fame. Nothing got easier. And I'm only talking land loot. No idea about sailing. No haunted either, but I forgot if tormenta gives up any haunted. I also didn't get more containers dropping either. But got lucky with a double skull halfway thru but nothing advanced turned up.

I think people are getting too excited blowing this out of proportion and puffing up a non issue. We had visibly poor returns on what a majority of long time experienced people perceived from prior looting. There is a change, but a conservative one as far as I can tell, it just seems they filled up the containers again. Not changed your chances at the good stuff. I'm real close to max on my pirate, and I'll keep close watch of loot right after I max and see if my theory about legendary and maxed pirates is viable.

Thank you devs for rounding out the containers and giving us a little more gold for the effort.

Last edited:
I can safely report that as far as I'm concerned, loot on land is still, well, as poor as ever.
I'm not complaining though, since I agree with Eric that it should be a serious challenge and not candy on Halloween or something akin to that simplistic process.
What's next? Ships of the Line for the whiners?
Maybe a potion that can make them level 50 instantly?
What do I know...
What is your concept of a challenge? Is a higher enemy a challenge? What challenge is this comparable to? Enemies are the challenge, finding loot isn't the challenge to me. So, do you and eric want a challenge to kill 50 lvl 50's just to get one skull chest with 25 gold and sack shorts?
If eric wants a challenge, then he should fight lvl 50 bosses by himself at lvl 40 and then get a loot pouch. Would that be challenge enough?

Everyone has different ways of playing this game. What I like about tlopo is I can choose my challenges and the game doesn't choose or force them on me.
The longer you loot the more you get regardless of the ratio. I've got a life, I don't need or want to grind 150 enemies for 3 hours to see a fame.
There's like 50 or more famed items in the game I think, so what's wrong with seeing a fame once every 6 or 10 hours or more.

I want to have fun at a game, not develop blood clots sitting on my butt for 5 hours straight just to earn 300 gold and a low level green.
That's not fun, that's a job. I'm beta testing this game for free, we're not getting paid and neither are the dev's. I'm happy for any bone they throw. A large majority of people were whining about loot ratios including me, but almost all of the other people had potco to compare it too as something to measure against, I didn't, but even I could see loot was strange.

I'll take whatever they want to give me. There was no ridiculous improvement of loot. It just looked better spread out to me. It's also quite possible all the devs did was tweak the gold and everything else is exactly the same. So people complaining about easier loot may be wrong. Who knows.
Not the first time game developers did placebos and watched the reactions.

Good example is the green circle thing. The color/texture change tricked the eyes. I didn't look for a dig or crate meyself this time, so I can't judge it.

GL

Last edited:
I really like this patch, I don't understand why people are complaining, and saying loot is too easy? I don't think so. Spent just over 2 hours looting tonight (was too afraid to sail, servers were having district resets left and right) on Tormenta, and of the 5 or so skulls that dropped, I got one cursed blade, and my friend got another, both rares, mind you (Barnacle Blade, and Grim Hound Blade). What I DID notice, is loot seemed FAR more appropriate per container, much like it was in POTCO. Couple hundred gold in a loot skull chest and (mostly) rare gear or higher. I feel like the containers themselves were balanced really well. Before the update, loot skulls were dropping 50 gold, a playing card, and sack shorts, which I always thought was ridiculous. I feel that now loot is as close to the way it was back in POTCO, as its ever been, and I couldn't be happier!

What is your concept of a challenge? Is a higher enemy a challenge? What challenge is this comparable to? Enemies are the challenge, finding loot isn't the challenge to me. So, do you and eric want a challenge to kill 50 lvl 50's just to get one skull chest with 25 gold and sack shorts?
If eric wants a challenge, then he should fight lvl 50 bosses by himself at lvl 40 and then get a loot pouch. Would that be challenge enough?

Everyone has different ways of playing this game. What I like about tlopo is I can choose my challenges and the game doesn't choose or force them on me.
The longer you loot the more you get regardless of the ratio. I've got a life, I don't need or want to grind 150 enemies for 3 hours to see a fame.
There's like 50 or more famed items in the game I think, so what's wrong with seeing a fame once every 6 or 10 hours or more.

I want to have fun at a game, not develop blood clots sitting on my butt for 5 hours straight just to earn 300 gold and a low level green.
That's not fun, that's a job. I'm beta testing this game for free, we're not getting paid and neither are the dev's. I'm happy for any bone they throw. A large majority of people were whining about loot ratios including me, but almost all of the other people had potco to compare it too as something to measure against, I didn't, but even I could see loot was strange.

I'll take whatever they want to give me. There was no ridiculous improvement of loot. It just looked better spread out to me. It's also quite possible all the devs did was tweak the gold and everything else is exactly the same. So people complaining about easier loot may be wrong. Who knows.
Not the first time game developers did placebos and watched the reactions.

Good example is the green circle thing. The color/texture change tricked the eyes. I didn't look for a dig or crate meyself this time, so I can't judge it.

GL

I think any game needs challenges. Push over games are boring. If you want push over challenges, the game actually offers them. I play for about 3 hours a day, and I have no complaints about the loot system, the number of rounds of cannon shot one can carry, no gripes about sailing or anything.
I manage to sail, do quests, grind weapons, shoot cannons, potions and chat with friends in that time slot and I just don't see the game requiring any of the salty suggestions you sarcastically make about what's required for success in playing it.
I personally think the game is near perfect and needs only to be completed by the devs as is feasible. I also don't mind and actually enjoy new content as well.
What I take exception to are the pirates who want shortcuts, easy loot and having to do nothing in order to play; just clicking the mouse and "winning", when all they're really doing is "whining"...
As far as your lifestyle habits and personal opinions, that's fine - for you, and while that might be taken into consideration, the game has to have characteristics that make it inherently difficult, regardless of how much time one spends playing it, as well as be appealing to many different players.
If you want instant satisfaction, or if the game is too hard for you, play solitaire or the crossword puzzles instead.
Trying to make the game watered down and easy isn't going to make it better, it's gonna ruin it.

I think any game needs challenges. Push over games are boring. If you want push over challenges, the game actually offers them. I play for about 3 hours a day, and I have no complaints about the loot system, the number of rounds of cannon shot one can carry, no gripes about sailing or anything.
I manage to sail, do quests, grind weapons, shoot cannons, potions and chat with friends in that time slot and I just don't see the game requiring any of the salty suggestions you sarcastically make about what's required for success in playing it.
I personally think the game is near perfect and needs only to be completed by the devs as is feasible. I also don't mind and actually enjoy new content as well.
What I take exception to are the pirates who want shortcuts, easy loot and having to do nothing in order to play; just clicking the mouse and "winning", when all they're really doing is "whining"...
As far as your lifestyle habits and personal opinions, that's fine - for you, and while that might be taken into consideration, the game has to have characteristics that make it inherently difficult, regardless of how much time one spends playing it, as well as be appealing to many different players.
If you want instant satisfaction, or if the game is too hard for you, play solitaire or the crossword puzzles instead.
Trying to make the game watered down and easy isn't going to make it better, it's gonna ruin it.
"""the game has to have characteristics that make it inherently difficult, regardless of how much time one spends playing it""""

Why?

Presumably, though you never say so directly, this means that drop rates of the better items has been increased. I suspect that this is a bad idea brought about by whiners who played for an hour or so and didn't get the WEB even though they felt they had done way more than they needed to do to get every item in the game. I really think the best items need to be more difficult to obtain not easier. It's pretty certain that all these people had all 10 legendaries in potco even though they only played for a year, like in tlopo, forget the fact that RC has only been open for a few weeks. A classic case of caving to an unthinking crowd. How are better loot drops good for the game?
I for one am not complaining. I hadn't gotten a famed weapon in nearly a month; finally got one last night. I agree rare items should be a challenge to loot, but they should not be nigh impossible.

89003ac46f8f6d2b1d22eaf970e8294b.png

lol
Is this another inside joke?

You're making a case on presumed unsubstantiated evidence that we haven't even experienced. I played the other night for a few hours, and had at least 10 skulls with nothing more than a rare. How can you assume such things when playing evidence shows otherwise. I only saw an apparent increase in gold across all containers. As I have read on wiki and elsewhere, the loot spread looked more like Disney numbers.
Nothing looked easier to me in land loot. They all looked fuller with other non rare loot appearing. Which I think needed to be done.
I actually got excited when I saw the skulls pop up. And skulls felt more solid than ever before in months.
I happy with this upgrade and hope the devs don't listen to "too easy whiners".

And people can make this game as hard on themselves as they want. Just for grins I try to take on watcher and smasho by myself. Nothing easy there, and still haven't done it.

Back