Guild Discussion A Formal Appeal for the Acceptance of a Guild Name

COMMUNITY, what do you think? Should the guild name "EITC Black Guard" be allowed?

• Total voters
Before I present my case, I'd like to formally offer my greetings to the TLoPO Crew (onward referred to as the DEVs), and a great thanks to all of you for your strenuous dedication to recreating a game we all love. I appreciate your generosity in sharing your creation with all of us, for free.

Now, as many may already be aware of, I am Samuel Redbeard (PotCO), Lord Samuel Harrington in TLoPO; I am a veteran role-player, as a part of the EITC. Myself, along with several other veteran role-players, have attempted to recreate a PotCO role-play guild entitled "EITC Black Guard". One of my close colleagues was informed by the DEVs that such a guild name cannot be accepted, as it violates the naming guidelines for guilds on TLoPO (no exact character references from the Pirates movies, explicit or implied), even though Disney's Pirates Online had the same guideline and had a guild with the name (the games DEVs were unable to violate their own guidelines).
After careful review of the guidelines, as well as Disney copyrights and trademarks, I would like to make an appeal for the guild name to be accepted, for the following reasons that--when taken into consideration--should, I believe, allow for the guild name's acceptance.

1.) The abbreviation "EITC" is neither seen nor spoken in any of the five Pirates of the Caribbean movies. We either see/hear "East India Trading Company", "East India Trading Co.", or "E.I.Co.". The argument could be made the said abbreviation is a direct reference to "East India Trading Company", which is referenced in the films. However, as an abbreviation, "EITC" could technically stand for anything. Thus, it cannot be proven that said abbreviation in a guild name is, in fact, in violation of the guild naming guidelines.
2.) Disney, Inc. does not own, does not have a copyright nor a trademark on the following list of names: "East India Trading Company", "East India Company", "EITC Black Guard", nor the abbreviation "EITC". There shouldn't be any legal issues with such a guild name occurring.
3.) The EITC is not a character, it is an organization. One of my colleagues was told that, despite this, since it is referenced in some form in the movies, that it is still in technical violation of the aforementioned guideline. However, I would like to personally respond to this particular contention by saying that, as an abbreviation, "EITC" could stand for anything--earned income tax credit, everyone is totally cool, or anything any person could conjure up. Thus, an argument could be made that the abbreviation--since it is an abbreviation--could stand for anything aside from "East India Trading Company". This should allow for the name's acceptance.
4.) I can name three guilds which currently exist with "EITC" in the name: "British EITC Military", "Imperial EITC Elites", and "EITC Elite Guard". If these names can possess such an abbreviation, why is "EITC Black Guard" disallowed?
5.) There is another guild which has a name which contains a direct reference to the movies--"The British Empire". The British Empire is directly referenced numerous times throughout the PotC series, with a direct reference made: "Only the British Empire shall have the Trident and rule the seas."--Lieutenant John Scarfield, Dead Men Tell No Tales.
However, despite this guild's name being directly referenced in the movies (an obvious violation of the aforementioned guideline), it is allowed. Why isn't EITC Black Guard? All other existing guild names that I have mentioned in this appeal should have their names rescinded, or the name EITC Black Guard should be accepted.

I think that these five reasons, when taken together, make a convincing argument for the acceptance of the guild name "EITC Black Guard". To reiterate, the abbreviation "EITC" is neither seen nor spoken in any of the Pirates movies, including the fact that--as an abbreviation--could stand for anything aside from "East India Trading Company"; it is not owned, copyrighted, or trademarked by Disney, Inc.; there are guilds which exist which possess the abbreviation in the name.

As a veteran EITC role-player, I implore you to reconsider your stance on the acceptance of the guild name "EITC Black Guard". If accepted, many veteran role-players would be made happy, and members of the community would be able to actively interact with other community members in an enjoyable and immersive manner; after all this is a massively multi-player, online role-playing game.

I encourage your response, and hope any discourse on this subject which follows is respectful, and that all sides are considered carefully.

Thank you for your time.
Lord Samuel Harrington

Well Mr Sam my brother you have questions I have answers.

1. You specifically addressed the EITC part of the name which I agreed with in that it has no violation of the terms, however "The Black Guard" is specifically mentioned in the movies and that is where the violation lies
2. and two, the reason "The British Empire" "Kingdom of Spain" "British EITC Military" etc. etc. are not in violation is because they belong to history not Disney.

I appreciate your response, @NathanielPhantomhayes!

The phrase, or name "Black Guard", or "The Black Guard" is not written, spoken, or otherwise referenced in any of the five Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It is mentioned in the PotC lore, but not in the movies.
The guild name guideline that I specifically quoted makes note of movie references, not lore references.
Secondly, Disney, Inc. has no ownership, copyright, or trademark on "East India Company", "East India Trading Company", or EITC", and is thereby neither owned by Disney, Inc.
Thirdly, the East India [Trading] Company is also a legitimate historical body, and as such, should not violate any guidelines.
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_India_Company)

I appreciate your response, @NathanielPhantomhayes!

The phrase, or name "Black Guard", or "The Black Guard" is not written, spoken, or otherwise referenced on any of the five Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It is mentioned in the PotC lore, but not in the movies.
The guild name guideline that I specifically quoted makes note of movie references, not lore references.
Secondly, the East India [Trading] Company is also a legitimate historical body, and as such, should not violate any guidelines.
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_India_Company)
I agree EITC violates nothing, but the black guard I'm afraid does. Not only is it a minorly mentioned thing in POTC. It is the main antagonist in the Tron movies, which are owned by Disney.
"We're being attacked!"
"Redcoats and Black Cloaks!
"
Pintel and Ragetti

I agree EITC violates nothing, but the black guard I'm afraid does. Not only is it a minorly mentioned thing in POTC. It is the main antagonist in the Tron movies, which are owned by Disney.
"We're being attacked!"
"Redcoats and Black Cloaks!
"
Pintel and Ragetti

"Black Coats" is referenced, but not the Black Guard.
Also, to reiterate, the name "Black Guard" is not written, spoken, or otherwise referenced in any of the five Pirates of the Caribbean movies; however, it is mentioned in the Pirates of the Caribbean lore.
Also, to reiterate, Disney, Inc. does not have the name "Black Guard" copyrighted or trademarked, so there should not be any legitimate violation of any guidelines.

On top of that, there is a guild which exists on TLoPO entitled "Black Guard Elites" so the name/phrase "Black Guard" already appears in a guild name.

The name EITC Black Guard was used in POTCO as a GM guild, there was a big event and other instances when they came on and met with players the same as Marseline. I would guess that the TLOPO developers are planning the same so it is unlikely that they will award you that name any more than they would let you have the pirate name "Jolly Rodger".

You can call it the "East India Guard" or something. If you take a look at this link you'll find out that as Eric stated, this was a GM guild and they used to show up during events including one that was their own - "the black guard cometh."

Since the devs plan to fully recreate the game, I have to assume that all features and events such as this one are meant to be reintegrated into TLOPO. So sadly, I'll have to say no I don't think it's allowed. But, most of the community has no affiliation whatsoever with the dev team so we can't speak for them. They might decide to scrap this due to a lack of team members or for some other reason.

If you really want the name, the best thing you can do is contact TLOPO support for more information.

@Eric Sailcutter, @Darkslinger -- According to a few close friends of mine who are well-aquainted with the DEVs, they do not have any plans to recreate any of the Game Master guilds.
If that’s true, I don’t see any reason as to why this would be a problem.

Maybe less informed pirates might assume that the members of the guild are GMs or something. This is the only (unlikely) reason I have in mind for them not allowing it.

Did you contact support regarding this situation?

If that’s true, I don’t see any reason as to why this would be a problem.

Maybe less informed pirates might assume that the members of the guild are GMs or something. This is the only (unlikely) reason I have in mind for them not allowing it.

Did you contact support regarding this situation?

I have not. I was told to post a thread here, in the forums. Would you be willing to provide me the appropriate link?

Black Guard is name of npc groups in one very well know mmo , well mebbe two. Not sure if that is what is affecting it.

I 100% agree that EITC Black Guard is fine for a guild name.

While I'm not trying to be mean to developers, (who have done an amazing job) They need to understand that there are a ton of roleplay guilds out there that are imitating the EITC. There is no problem with this, it's not hurting anyone or anything.

Food for thought based on earlier comments, I believe Tia Dalma directly references the Black Guard in her compass cutscene in King's Run. Which that makes sense for why they'd deny this name, it violates their naming guidelines.

Can you quote which specific guideline it violates?
latest

Actual picture from POTCO with Disney GMs in that guild.

Back