Idea Ability to break the Pirate Code and Navy Invasions

Capitan Eli Davies

Honorable Pirate
I think it would be interesting if we could break the Pirate Code and shoot EITC and Navy soldiers. To make things interesting though so people don’t just shoot navy troops is that if we shoot the navy soldiers, the navy soldiers will then be able to shoot us with their rifles and will engage from larger distances. That way by breaking the pirate code with one of our characters we will be plagued with rifle shot when we walk into a fort.
It would be rather interesting to also see navy invasions of islands to wipe out the pirates in the area. Lets say that these happen when there is a large amount of pirate activity. Lets say if a bunch of pirate are slaughtering troops in the forts or navy occupied areas on an island, it will start a counter of how many troops have been killed or how much loot the navy has lost to the pirate in an area. Once this counter reaches a certain number of dead or a certain amount of loot lost, Kingshead will launch and invasion fleet to that island to aid the navy troops there and to wipe out the pirates on the island. The fleet could then be attacked at sea to try and stop the invasion from happening. The fleet should be big with three ships of the line carrying troops. These ships should then be sounded by frigates. The sea battle will consist of pirates trying to sink the ships of the line. The ships of the line will be sounded by several layers of high level frigates protecting them. That way it should be difficult to stop the invasion.

Once the the surviving line ships reach the port navy troops will be deployed from them and attack the island. Then it will be just like Jolly rogers invasions except that navy has guns and will use them pirates who have broken the code.

This I think would be extremely fun because if you have a bunch of pirates who broke the code then you could potently have Navy pirate gun line fight like those that happened predominately at the time. It could also add a new level of strategy to invasions.

I'm all for being able to shoot other human NPCs, but the 'child friendly' ethics that both TLOPO and POTCO are based upon do not allow this, because of real world implications. I highly doubt you will ever be able to break the code because of this, so you will have to just stab people and gamble instead.

I'm all for being able to shoot other human NPCs, but the 'child friendly' ethics that both TLOPO and POTCO are based upon do not allow this, because of real world implications. I highly doubt you will ever be able to break the code because of this, so you will have to just stab people and gamble instead.

It makes no sense though. How is that child friendly. To make things child friendly you can’t shoot humans, but you can stab them with swords and daggers, blow them up with grenades, use satan and black magic to kill them with voodoo dolls and voodoo staffs. But shooting apparitions that look like living humans with a gun is to fare? It is truly idiotic to go on leaving that feature by claiming it makes the game kid friendly. If we want it to be kid friendly in the way they want it to be, they might as well not make it a pirate game and instead make it a game about seafaring traders who are out to help innocent and poor people rather than sink their ships and steal their gold.

By not allowing people to shoot the navy or EITC soldiers by saying it makes things kid friendly is an insult to the intelligence of kids as well. When I was ten playing this game I wanted to shoot the EITC and Navy soldiers and I am not some mass murder out looking to kill people. Kids no the difference between what is real and what is not. A game does not need some stupid game mechanic to try and explain that to them.

It makes no sense though. How is that child friendly. To make things child friendly you can’t shoot humans, but you can stab them with swords and daggers, blow them up with grenades, use satan and black magic to kill them with voodoo dolls and voodoo staffs. But shooting apparitions that look like living humans with a gun is to fare? It is truly idiotic to go on leaving that feature by claiming it makes the game kid friendly. If we want it to be kid friendly in the way they want it to be, they might as well not make it a pirate game and instead make it a game about seafaring traders who are out to help innocent and poor people rather than sink their ships and steal their gold.

It's because there is (from my understanding at least) a unique stigma around guns and gun violence in the US. I disagree with it, I don't see the sense in it, but its a core part of POTCO, and therefore TLOPO.

I never understood that as well. It's stupid and pointless to restrict for such reasons. Like, 95% of the community is all grown ups, but the main goal is being "child friendly"?? This isn't a cartoon, why making it child friendly?

Agreed, sometimes the game makes me feel like I'm playing something like WebKinz with the extremely limiting language filter and the inability to shoot other people.

Agreed, sometimes the game makes me feel like I'm playing something like WebKinz with the extremely limiting language filter and the inability to shoot other people.

The reason for the rules being the way they are is simple. The game is not done being remade. It would only take away valuable time if they were to try an implement new features when the game doesn't even have all of the old ones in yet. It is very possible that the pirate code will be changed once the game is no longer in beta, but until then, it is simply a waste of resources and time to make such changes. That time can, and should be spent on recreating what potco left off with.

In short, be patient, don't complain, and just let the developers do their jobs. Eventually we will get to the point where they can create new rules if they so choose, until then just enjoy the game as is.

The reason for the rules being the way they are is simple. The game is not done being remade. It would only take away valuable time if they were to try an implement new features when the game doesn't even have all of the old ones in yet. It is very possible that the pirate code will be changed once the game is no longer in beta, but until then, it is simply a waste of resources and time to make such changes. That time can, and should be spent on recreating what potco left off with.

In short, be patient, don't complain, and just let the developers do their jobs. Eventually we will get to the point where they can create new rules if they so choose, until then just enjoy the game as is.

Valuable time?? It would take no longer than couple of minutes, 30 minutes at worst. The enemy behavior is implemented, the gun is implemented, just remove the message and make the gun lock on the enemy and make damage.

You are making it sound like they are programming the electric fields for all the pixels in the monitor's controller device.

By your logic people should not suggest new ideas in the suggestion area of the forums for the game. Everyone knows that they will not implement new content or ideas until the original game is done. There is no bloody problem with suggesting new ideas now though. Where does anyone in this thread ask for it to be implemented now and where are people preventing the devs from doing their work by complaining? Is every suggestion people make a complaint or a waste of time? Should we not be able to converse about our arguments in favor of our suggestions or does that waste the devs time as well?

I also must agree with falco that it would be a very simple change. It would be like fixing a minor bug. Just go in and erase the code that prevents the gun from being used on EITC and Navy troops. It would be fairly simple. The hardest thing would be to find that bit of code. Now does it need to be implemented now? No it does not. But there is nothing wrong with discussing it or as you call it "complaining and wasting the devs time.” Now wearyaxe please take your worthless input and go and enjoy the game as it is now while the rest of us talk about the future.

By your logic people should not suggest new ideas in the suggestion area of the forums for the game. Everyone knows that they will not implement new content or ideas until the original game is done. There is no bloody problem with suggesting new ideas now though. Where does anyone in this thread ask for it to be implemented now and where are people preventing the devs from doing their work by complaining? Is every suggestion people make a complaint or a waste of time? Should we not be able to converse about our arguments in favor of our suggestions or does that waste the devs time as well?

I also must agree with falco that it would be a very simple change. It would be like fixing a minor bug. Just go in and erase the code that prevents the gun from being used on EITC and Navy troops. It would be fairly simple. The hardest thing would be to find that bit of code. Now does it need to be implemented now? No it does not. But there is nothing wrong with discussing it or as you call it "complaining and wasting the devs time.” Now wearyaxe please take your worthless input and go and enjoy the game as it is now while the rest of us talk about the future.

"complaining and wasting the devs time" Nice mis-quote you've got there. I did not say that, nor did I say people shouldn't make suggestions. I entirely encourage new suggestions. I did not say it is a waste of time to suggest new ideas. I said it would be a waste of time to implement something as simple as who gets damaged by a gun, when they could be working on bug fixes. You are taking my word, and assuming I am applying it to all ideas in general. I am not doing that. I am saying this particular idea is not a good one. I have the right to do such a thing. It is simply my opinion, and there is no need to insult me by implying that my input is "worthless." I have no quarrel with people bringing ideas to the table. in fact I am glad you had this idea, and posted a forum about it. I enjoy seeing people come up with ideas for the future. What I do not enjoy is when I am insulted for simply showing my opinion on said ideas. Just because I do not like this one particular idea, does not mean I discourage having suggestions as a whole.

"complaining and wasting the devs time" Nice mis-quote you've got there. I did not say that, nor did I say people shouldn't make suggestions. I entirely encourage new suggestions. I did not say it is a waste of time to suggest new ideas. I said it would be a waste of time to implement something as simple as who gets damaged by a gun, when they could be working on bug fixes. You are taking my word, and assuming I am applying it to all ideas in general. I am not doing that. I am saying this particular idea is not a good one. I have the right to do such a thing. It is simply my opinion, and there is no need to insult me by implying that my input is "worthless." I have no quarrel with people bringing ideas to the table. in fact I am glad you had this idea, and posted a forum about it. I enjoy seeing people come up with ideas for the future. What I do not enjoy is when I am insulted for simply showing my opinion on said ideas. Just because I do not like this one particular idea, does not mean I discourage having suggestions as a whole.

The quote was a summary of everything you said in your first post. Let me evaluate by going over your first post.

"The reason for the rules being the way they are is simple. The game is not done being remade. It would only take away valuable time if they were to try an implement new features when the game doesn't even have all of the old ones in yet.”

The very first part of you comment immediately goes to say that the idea would be a wast of time on the current development of the game. You are very specific in this by saying "It would only take away valuable time if they were to try an implement new features when the game doesn't even have all of the old ones in yet.”

That is not a protest against on if the suggestion was good or not. It is a protest against the idea on the basis that the game is not yet complete. You are saying that because the game is not yet complete, that the idea is bad. You immediately assume that it is being suggested that it should be implemented now. You assume that we are saying it should be in priority over everything else.

On to the next part of your statement.

"It is very possible that the pirate code will be changed once the game is no longer in beta, but until then, it is simply a waste of resources and time to make such changes. That time can, and should be spent on recreating what potco left off with.”

Again more assumptions that we are demanding this be implemented now. Your only reason so fare that this should not be implemented now. Actually let me reframe that with a quote from your second post. "I am saying this particular idea is not a good one.” Your whole basis for the idea not being a good one is that the game is currently in beta and that the devs "could be working on bug fixes.” You say that you apply this only to this idea but your as reason shows that this is your only objection to the idea, it makes one wonder what type of an idea is worthy of the devs time to you? Every single idea could essentially be a waste of time when the devs could be working on bug fixes.

Your last stamens in the post is the most irritating.

"In short, be patient, don't complain, and just let the developers do their jobs. Eventually we will get to the point where they can create new rules if they so choose, until then just enjoy the game as is.”

Explain this to me. This is clearly a rebuke to even suggesting the idea. If you read all the post before you own, no one is complaining, no one is being impatient, and no one is obstructing the developers job. Considering none of those thing exist in any of the post before then, it is reasonable to think, that this whole statement you just said hear, is to the very idea in general. You could say that every suggestion is a complaint and an obstruction to the developers job and that we all should just “enjoy the game as is.”

Please show me any other complaints you have against the idea other than that it will hinder the speed of beta. You even say that you think “it is very possible that the pirate code will be changed once the game is no longer in beta, but until then, it is simply a waste of resources.” You act as if the idea was a waste of time because the game is in beta. Every idea is a waste of time then since the game is in beta and not complete. Did you ever in your assumptions think that this was just like every other idea and suggestion? That we are just tossing out food for thought for a latter time. Putting it out their before we forget it. This is way I say your post was worthless. Its only argument was that the game is in beta, the devs need to fix bugs, and that it is not the time for this idea. There is nothing saying that "this particular idea is not a good one.” The whole basis is that “it would only take away valuable time if they were to try an implement new features when the game doesn't even have all of the old ones in yet.” Every idea and suggestion would only take away valuable time from the redevelopment of the old ones. If you mean to say an idea is not a good one, give reasons other than why every new idea would be a bad idea to start work on at this very moment. Check the way you word things so that you don’t say something meaningless. You clearly did not convey what you wanted to say in your first post.

Now that you actually got your point across with this statement (“I said it would be a waste of time to implement something as simple as who gets damaged by a gun, when they could be working on bug fixes” ) there is something to argue or debate. That statement is much more finite and less broad.

Now that the basis for all our assumptions are cleared out of the way we can debate over the idea. So again your argument against it “I said it would be a waste of time to implement something as simple as who gets damaged by a gun, when they could be working on bug fixes.”

Again on my part we are not expecting the dev to immediately go and change this. Although I do think, that it would probably be something as simple as going in a deleting a little bit of code to stop the little message that says breaking the code. The whole idea with navy invasions and the soldiers firing back would take time. I do agree that it is something that should be worked on at a later date. I disagree with you over that it is a bad idea because it would be a waste of time. I disagree with this because the devs will evenly finish the game as it was and that after that, they will have a lot of extra man power and time. They could probably very easily go in and make soldiers targetable with guns and they could also implement the navy invasion fairly easy since they would have the undead invasions as a base. Now the fleet being launched from kings head could be easily implemented by using other sea events as a base for its construction. The parts that would take time to develop would consist of the counter for when the invasion would happen, the troop deployment count from the surviving line ships, and the thought of keeping the code and making the consequence for breaking it. That consequence of course is that the navy could fire back on the player with their guns. Now making it so that players can shoot the navy with guns would be easy and a simple start.

I think it is safe to say we are not POTCO. We are TLOPO and are no longer asoiated with Disney or any of their goals.
Disagree. :( (It doesn't matter what you think or anyone else. What matters is what 'Disney' would think and if you're capable enough to convince them that TLOPO isn't POTCO...I will be the first man here to wear a pink tutu [hence, why 'gunning' characters down in-game does not align with core Disney values]).

reverse-50yuyu29839.gif

Disagree. :( (It doesn't matter what you think or anyone else. What matters is what 'Disney' would think and if you're capable enough to convince them that TLOPO isn't POTCO...I will be the first man here to wear a pink tutu [hence, why 'gunning' characters down in-game does not align with core Disney values]).

reverse-50yuyu29839.gif
yeeeeeeeeep this statment exactly. We need to avoid poking the sleeping giant that is Disney with a stick as much as possible. unlike toontown Pirates of the Caribbean is one of their properties that they are still making money off of and producing content for

yeeeeeeeeep this statment exactly. We need to avoid poking the sleeping giant that is Disney with a stick as much as possible. unlike toontown Pirates of the Caribbean is one of their properties that they are still making money off of and producing content for

That is true. It probably will not be to long though before they finally end pirates. Hopefully some time in the next few years it can be changed.

Seriously, you had to go and write an entire essay on something like this? I really don't care enough to write a decent reply so let me just say this, if they implement gun damage towards humans, good. If they don't, good. I really don't care either way, most certainly not as much as you seem to anyway. I was not saying your input was a waste of time, I just don't think something like this is what they should be spending their time on, even if it wouldn't take long at all. The only reason I went as far as I did was because you went and called my input "worthless." I personally feel there was no need for that.

Agree. :D (You, my friend, shall be given the best 'fruitcake' this Christmas). Very wise, very wise.

To my knowledge from my head, I think the reason was because to keep it E10+, if you can shoot human NPC's it makes the game Rated T which they didn't want. Personally, I think this makes the game unique...I mean every other game released has you shooting people why not change it up a bit?

and Before you post a long essay...I don't care if they implement it or not I am giving :2 cents:
But I shall also agree with Shamus, THIS IS DISNEY's GAME. The more we keep poking at them the more the "Giant" will stir, I prefer for it to keep sleeping, so I say keep it the way it is.

It's because there is (from my understanding at least) a unique stigma around guns and gun violence in the US. I disagree with it, I don't see the sense in it, but its a core part of POTCO, and therefore TLOPO.
That makes sense to me, as it'd be easier to obtain and harm a group with any gun here in the US than with a sword

That makes sense to me, as it'd be easier to obtain and harm a group with any gun here in the US than with a sword

For me at least, this is an odd place to draw the line. POTCO/TLOPO simulates theft, gambling and the deaths of countless creatures and people. A lot of TV and games do not allow these things, as the creators are worried it would change the perception of these acts in impressionable people's (mostly children) minds. I assume this is the same reasoning that the POTCO team chose when they decided to ban humans shooting at eachother in-game. They don't want to trivialise gun violence, but do not apply this same rule to stabbing, blowing up and stealing from people.

Either that, or they wanted to get a pirate game legally available to as many ages as possible, and 'no gun violence' was one of the things on the list that needed ticking for them to get the child friendly rating. It doesn't make a lot of sense when you go in game, but you know, marketing.

Back