Idea Ability to break the Pirate Code and Navy Invasions

I have never had an issue dealing with the navy or eitc, regardless of the weapons in question. It should be considered that if we can shoot them, they should be able to shoot us in kind.

I'm all for being able to shoot other human NPCs, but the 'child friendly' ethics that both TLOPO and POTCO are based upon do not allow this, because of real world implications. I highly doubt you will ever be able to break the code because of this, so you will have to just stab people and gamble instead.
Shanking people is worse than shooting them in my opinion, realistically it is a much more gruesome death than being shot. It's not like there is blood and gore, and if there is any that I don't know about it's at a minuscule amount.

I would like to pump some navy nerds with lead though. :>

Last edited:
I'm all for being able to shoot other human NPCs, but the 'child friendly' ethics that both TLOPO and POTCO are based upon do not allow this, because of real world implications. I highly doubt you will ever be able to break the code because of this, so you will have to just stab people and gamble instead.

You're able to summon a swarm of wasps to sting your enemy to death, throw grenades at enemies that would cause the most ugly wounds if done in real life, I don't think the player should be able to shoot any human npc, that would mean it would be a one shot one kill, but with the player being undead/cursed, essentially immortal; it would be interesting to see the Navy fire their muskets, but I believe it would be too difficult to code, and potentially a very buggy mechanic, similar to how you were able to glitch Undead raiders to switch from their dagger to their sword and they are rendered immobile, unless you entered their attack radius.

Oh, so that "keep to the code" stuff was just so parents wouldn't complain that their children are shooting living beings, well, at least living HUMAN beings.
Anyway, that sounds pretty interesting! I like that GTA system you're proposing!

Slow your roll cowboy, you need to for real chill out.

And to counter your point NOBODY owns grenades, swords, or voodoo. And everyone knows how to use a knife and that they make horrible weapons. But people DO absolutely own guns. I own a gun, my dad owns a gun, all my cousins and grandparents own guns everyone owns guns and they are weapons to kill wether it be animals or humans.

And Navy invasions? For God's sake they own all the islands except Tortuga why would they invade their own territory
It makes no sense though. How is that child friendly. To make things child friendly you can’t shoot humans, but you can stab them with swords and daggers, blow them up with grenades, use satan and black magic to kill them with voodoo dolls and voodoo staffs. But shooting apparitions that look like living humans with a gun is to fare? It is truly idiotic to go on leaving that feature by claiming it makes the game kid friendly. If we want it to be kid friendly in the way they want it to be, they might as well not make it a pirate game and instead make it a game about seafaring traders who are out to help innocent and poor people rather than sink their ships and steal their gold.

By not allowing people to shoot the navy or EITC soldiers by saying it makes things kid friendly is an insult to the intelligence of kids as well. When I was ten playing this game I wanted to shoot the EITC and Navy soldiers and I am not some mass murder out looking to kill people. Kids no the difference between what is real and what is not. A game does not need some stupid game mechanic to try and explain that to them.

Its nothing to do with "child freindly" but everything to do with them wanting to keep it politically correct... >.>

It may be to try and secure as low an ESRB rating as possible (explained away by it being "the code", but we can cut them with swords, invoke the magicks against then, send a barrage of knives their way, and even use grenades against these living human enemies. As far as what would be a worse way to die, I'd have to say being blown up by a grenade bleeding out with shrapnel in your limbs would be a worse way to go.

But there may be a secondary reason, poisoned bullets were a primary motive for the Strasbourg Agreement of 1675, and this franchise is supposedly set after the Golden Age of Piracy, which started in the late 18th century, and do we have access to this kind of ammo? Yes, under the name "venom shot". This may also explain why the only way we can do damage to Navy and EITC members is through hitting them with cannon balls and most notably, the grapeshot. However, this hypothesis falls apart as soon as you get access to the "adder" skill for daggers, which is a knife coated in a poison that is thrown towards an enemy, which is functionally identical to venom shot. Maybe it's not international treaties keeping us from using small arms on human enemies, but the desire for an E10+ rating from the ESRB.

Its suspected Disney originally did this to secure the E10+ rating. I personally don't like how much Disney restricts themselves to secure their "kid" friendly ratings but... it is what it is I suppose. You can be sure TLOPO won't be changing this either as they keep this game up to or even beyond Disney's standards in some cases.

It may be to try and secure as low an ESRB rating as possible (explained away by it being "the code", but we can cut them with swords, invoke the magicks against then, send a barrage of knives their way, and even use grenades against these living human enemies. As far as what would be a worse way to die, I'd have to say being blown up by a grenade bleeding out with shrapnel in your limbs would be a worse way to go.

But there may be a secondary reason, poisoned bullets were a primary motive for the Strasbourg Agreement of 1675, and this franchise is supposedly set after the Golden Age of Piracy, which started in the late 18th century, and do we have access to this kind of ammo? Yes, under the name "venom shot". This may also explain why the only way we can do damage to Navy and EITC members is through hitting them with cannon balls and most notably, the grapeshot. However, this hypothesis falls apart as soon as you get access to the "adder" skill for daggers, which is a knife coated in a poison that is thrown towards an enemy, which is functionally identical to venom shot. Maybe it's not international treaties keeping us from using small arms on human enemies, but the desire for an E10+ rating from the ESRB.
it has to do with the rating the will get if we allow that.

shooting poorly animated undead can be considered "cartoon violence" but as soon as you shoot another person it turns into a "suggestive theme"

shooting poorly animated undead can be considered "cartoon violence" but as soon as you shoot another person it turns into a "suggestive theme"
Another part of it could be that shooting a firearm is much easier than throwing a knife. Sure, we could hit our targets easily when throwing knives, or any weapon really, but there's so much more to take into account, spin, travel time is much longer, and more. That famous shot in the blacksmith shop in Curse of Black Pearl where William throws a sword at the exit preventing Jack's escape isn't easy, especially since it went in almost level to the ground.

anyways, I always thought "suggestive themes" referred only to ***ualized characters or situations with ***ual implications, whether it be the great fairies of the 3D Zelda games, or many situations in the Metal Gear Solid games.

uhh. the filter. I understand why it's there but sometimes it's too aggressive and removes much needed context.

So wait, shooting animals and slicing people with swords and throwing explosives at humans is E rated but as soon as you whip out a gun its Suggestive Themes?

So wait, shooting animals and slicing people with swords and throwing explosives at humans is E rated but as soon as you whip out a gun its Suggestive Themes?

Apparently so. This is the ESRB. Shoot all the people you want, T, the moment you show a part of the body that's supposed to be concealed at all times, insta-Mature. Release a game at just the wrong time in the world, AO for violence alone.

Then again, the MPAA also has this same issue.

I always thought it was funny that you can't shoot living human enemies with a pistol/rifle/blunderbuss. But a cannon/dark magic/literal death-of-a-thousand-cuts is fine to use on them, but no guns... albeit most Navy enemies have rifles, and seem to refuse to do anything with them but act like it is a spear.

Back