Add a Bill Ironskull marker

I've never heard of him...

Also I don't think we should have a memorial just to one player.
However, we should have an easter egg as an honor to the original POTCO, which, of course, is the whole reason why we have this game being made anyway.

@Mike Wass @JohnnyDaPirate @Christofosho @deanaug Just wanted to bring this to your attention...

I think a generic marker somewhere would be ok. But to have actual names, I do not agree with. We have no way to really verify that an actual player passed away. And I am sure there are other players that have passed away that we are unaware of.
I agree in a generic marker, maybe a memorial room for all the lost and dedicated pirates but other than that I just don't see it being anything beyond or more specific. 100% agree with Star here.

I am definitely for adding in some sort of memorial somewhere in the game for those of the community who passed away, but specific names of pirates are a different story.

The only way I could see us adding potentially an NPC in with his name is if we release a new island or a new quest line and we need a new NPC. We could take his player's body and recreate it in NPC form, but that would spark an argument of "Hey, they did it for him! Why not my buddy xxx who passed away?".

I'm open for suggestions, but I really like the bar stool idea.

Maybe if you walk up to it, it says "Press shift to interact with the bar stool"; and it plays something along the lines of taps to only you, and displays a message? (idk).

I am definitely for adding in some sort of memorial somewhere in the game for those of the community who passed away, but specific names of pirates are a different story.

The only way I could see us adding potentially an NPC in with his name is if we release a new island or a new quest line and we need a new NPC. We could take his player's body and recreate it in NPC form, but that would spark an argument of "Hey, they did it for him! Why not my buddy xxx who passed away?".

I'm open for suggestions, but I really like the bar stool idea.

Maybe if you walk up to it, it says "Press shift to interact with the bar stool"; and it plays something along the lines of taps to only you, and displays a message? (idk).
I really like this idea, but not the NPCs because as you said, it can't be done for everyone. Maybe add "Taps" to the selection of music played by the people in the tavern which its located in (assuming it'll be in a tavern).

I still think that a good alternative to the bar stool idea could be a grave stone in the Port Royal grave yard. It makes sense to me, anyway. Also, I don't think there's an easy and fair way to incorporate specific people's names. I think it would just be best to avoid this portion of the idea.

I still think that a good alternative to the bar stool idea could be a grave stone in the Port Royal grave yard. It makes sense to me, anyway. Also, I don't think there's an easy and fair way to incorporate specific people's names. I think it would just be best to avoid this portion of the idea.
There will never be a way to cite specific names in a "fair" way by someone's definition, so don't expect that feature to be incorporated. A general dedicated marker, barstool, whatever could be a possibility down the road...

I know I've said this before, but it might have been on a different pirates forums site, I'm not sure.

If I died, I wouldn't want to be honored or remembered as some collection of pixels on the remake of a computer game that I once played when I was alive.

And as others have said, there are other players out there who have probably died, maybe unnoticed. That said, it would be unfair to only pay attention to this one specific player. So, as it was stated by a few before, it's an "all or nothing" situation. And to be honest, I think the more overall respectful option would be "nothing".

Yeah and the fact that we didn't really know the real human being proves my point even further. It's not really our place to decide how he should be remembered.

I disagree. If I had passed away I would like to be remembered for all the things I loved, this being one, even something as small as a barstool to me is the best we can do without being disrespectful and without excluding anyone.

I disagree. If I had passed away I would like to be remembered for all the things I loved, this being one, even something as small as a barstool to me is the best we can do without being disrespectful and without excluding anyone.
Maybe. It's a way to meet "all or nothing" in the middle, but I just don't see why, for a lack of a better term, it has to be such a big deal in the first place. Forgive me for sounding a little bold, but is it really necessary?

Maybe. It's a way to meet "all or nothing" in the middle, but I just don't see why, for a lack of a better term, it has to be such a big deal in the first place. Forgive me for sounding a little bold, but is it really necessary?
I would say no. However, I think it would be a good idea to have a memorial bar stool or something to the old POTCO in general.

Yeah and the fact that we didn't really know the real human being proves my point even further. It's not really our place to decide how he should be remembered.
Please understand that I mean no disrespect (what so ever) with what you say but...

*Arguably the best attribute POTCO had to it's own advantage was people/the community. For many of us, the game itself was incredibly cool to play but were it not for the people whom had played POTCO do you really think the game itself would have such a large following even after so many years have gone by and passed?

Let's face it; POTCO was cool but it was a wreck. Disney didn't help much and beyond the introduction of Raven's Cove, ship customization and plundering...the game as a whole was still fun to play but it wouldn't (really) be that much fun to all of us if it was not an MMO. (If I am incorrect in saying this, think of how lonely you be playing POTCO if you were the only pirate in-game).

This great community of ours is unique amongst all of the Disney, virtual world games - in my opinion. We still have a considerable amount of progress to go to improve ourselves but then again, most of us are still here despite the differences ensued.

I would say no. However, I think it would be a good idea to have a memorial bar stool or something to the old POTCO in general.
That would be better, especially considering what a broad span of memories it actually covers.
The tavern/bar stool idea is good one. However, how about something more visible and located in a place where pirates actually convene regularly? How about some sort of dedicated crate on Abassa Tortuga with special wording to honor the broad spectrum of interest towards pirates lost? That way, the memory of those lost is not so hidden. (The whole out-of-sight/out-of-mind feeling wouldn't actually encompass much of the honor we seek out to keep, in my opinion).

Please understand that I mean no disrespect (what so ever) with what you say but...

*Arguably the best attribute POTCO had to it's own advantage was people/the community. For many of us, the game itself was incredibly cool to play but were it not for the people whom had played POTCO do you really think the game itself would have such a large following even after so much time has gone by and passed?

Let's face it; POTCO was cool but it was a wreck. Disney didn't help much and beyond the introduction of Raven's Cove, ship customization and plundering...the game as a whole was still fun to play but it wouldn't (really) be that much fun to all of us if it was not a MMO. (If I am incorrect in saying this, think of how lonely you be playing POTCO if you were the only pirate in-game).
First off, I appreciate your sense of humor. That video was perfect.

Second, you call it lonely, but I call it solitude. I enjoyed the game for the game, not for the people.

First off, I appreciate your sense of humor. That video was perfect.

Second, you call it lonely, but I call it solitude. I enjoyed the game for the game, not for the people.
Honestly, the game itself drew me in at first, but the community is what kept me hooked. If this were a toxic community (like...LEAGUE OF LEGENDS *cough cough*) then I would've quit a long time ago.

The people make the game what it truly is.
That's not an objective statement, though. Because clearly there are those that enjoyed the game for what it was. Like, I try to play Pirates of the Burning Sea, but the game just isn't the same, and no matter how many friends from PotCO that I had online with me, it was just never as fun.

For the vast majority of people, it was the community. But for loners like me, it was the game itself.

Back