AFK Players on Ships Recommendations

Rumblestrut

Buccaneer
From the way I see things, the amount of AFK players on a public ship during material or loot runs is ridiculous. They don't contribute whatsoever; repairing or shooting the cannons. Some try to be SOO sneaky they hide in the corners of the ships such as a brig where the captain won't see them, neither most players. Once this thread is published, all the AFK players will come on and say that they should be able to remain AFK on a ship. Shame.

1) Reporting for the Use of Exploitation?
- I know this seems a bit overboard, but the other day I decided to do it once to an AFK player who teleported to my War Sloop. The reason why I chose exploitation is because they are standing there, not helping yet they will still get rewards. To me, I see this as exploitation of the use of AFK on a public ship. Moderators/Admins: Couldn't this be implemented and evidence would be gathered through console for the amount of time they were AFK on a public ship? Also, can we write an explanation for the exploitation of what they're doing? It doesn't seem logical to just report someone without being able to give an explanation, might as well implement it for the other reporting options too.

2) Kicking Players From the Ship?
- It's that simple. Make this feature available for the captain of their ship. Well actually, the feature is already added, except it only works on PRIVATEER ships. Moderators/Admins: Can you add this feature to ALL ships? I.E. Public ships, SvS, etc.

Sitting on a ship while “afk-ing” is inconvenient for the captain and can be annoying of course but it isn’t exploiting. In my opinion, the best remedy would be to find a group of 5-8 friends who will remain active on your ship whenever you want to do some sailing runs. Exploiting is more of using third party/automated programs. I know closing your ship to Public can be annoying because you’re trying to find actual, helpful crewmates... perhaps enlist help from trustworthy guildmembers/friends?

Last edited:
Dock. If you have a full ship and 3 or 4 are afk, get the active ones in a crew dock your ship and go back out and lock ship so public cannot board. Friend those in crew and announce to them whenever you go out. We all know the price of public runs.. Afk toons.. So it's your choice to continue public or not.. Kicking players off ships has been tried and it was abused severely... That is not a solution, it is another problem.. Simple answer to afks, learn to solo sail, or get your private crew and never go public.....

Would it be possible/plausible to develop some sort of afk ship timer? Afk for x amount of time and be sent back to port of origin or login screen? Just throwing it out there.

Yeah... I will just repeat myself here since the other thread suspiciously became silent after I posted the following.

I like direct control over who can join your ship rather than checkboxes. So the parasites have no hosts to latch onto.

Voting would not work due to what crashalot mentioned already, they would not vote to kick each other or just to make room for another parasite.

All these posts saying that any of this to be added because this or that reason does not contribute much in alleviating this issue.

What people want is it to be fixed, not be told that they shouldn't put their ships open to the public or just only run with people they trust. That takes away the social aspect away of potentially making new friends or do something else later with the whole crew. Like maybe some boss looting for instance.

All in all, instead of staying in this roundabout of pros and cons. Why not have a structural discussion to have it solved?

Would it be possible/plausible to develop some sort of afk ship timer? Afk for x amount of time and be sent back to port of origin or login screen? Just throwing it out there.
Some people have real life things they may have to tend to, also...some people actually do afk runs where they want their crew to not shoot BUT they do want the crew to help repair the ship.

Dock. If you have a full ship and 3 or 4 are afk, get the active ones in a crew dock your ship and go back out and lock ship so public cannot board. Friend those in crew and announce to them whenever you go out. We all know the price of public runs.. Afk toons.. So it's your choice to continue public or not.. Kicking players off ships has been tried and it was abused severely... That is not a solution, it is another problem.. Simple answer to afks, learn to solo sail, or get your private crew and never go public.....
When was this feature tried? I've never seen the option to boot a player off of a non-SvS ship, ever, including in POTCO. I think that's a good solution, or as it's been mentioned before, a ban list for your ships, that prohibits people from boarding your ship in the future. I don't have this issue often, because I avoid opening my ship to public as of late, but I dislike people who just board and go AFK. I like the solution mentioned here, and I feel that if you abuse it, it'll end up biting you in the rear anyways, so there's really nothing to worry about.

1. I like direct control over who can join your ship rather than checkboxes.
2. So the parasites have no hosts to latch onto.
Voting would not work due to what crashalot mentioned already, they would not vote to kick each other or just to make room for another parasite.
3. All these posts saying that any of this to be added because this or that reason does not contribute much in alleviating this issue.
4. What people want is it to be fixed, not be told that they shouldn't put their ships open to the public or just only run with people they trust. 5. That takes away the social aspect away of potentially making new friends or do something else later with the whole crew. Like maybe some boss looting for instance.
All in all, instead of staying in this roundabout of pros and cons. Why not have a structural discussion to have it solved?

Please tell me this post was made in pure sarcasm. Let me clarify a few things.
1. You do have complete control as to who can and cannot board your ships already, in fact you have 100 % control. How you use it, Is YOUR BUSINESS.
2. Stop hanging around with parasites, birds of a feather and all ...
3. All these posts (with a exception to the one Im quoting) are respectfully expressing opinions on why or why something will not work. KEY WORD" RESPECTFULLY "
4. That is your choice, you know the risks, to expect someone else to step in and create a program to solve something that YOU HAVE FULL CONTROL OVER STOPPING, but dont want to cause it might inconvenience you, is quite frankly ridiculous.
5. The game has many many many social aspects, I have met 2 people out on sea, and the rest I know in game I have met on land, questing farming , standing around Pirate watching... expand your horizons, learn tolerance, learn how to manage in a game where HUMANS ACTUALLY ACT LIKE HUMANS!! If you want a game where everything but you is controlled, maybe a mmo isnt for you? Just a thought

But say you get your wish, whats next, a program where if you happen to hit a enemy ship with your broadsides its yours and no other ship can benefit by their broadsides shooting at the same ship? If we work hard pressing keys to make sure we are sinking a ship why should anyone else come along and shoot at it and get loot from it. ( and trust there are already posts here with this same train of thought already going,)

Last edited:
AFK ers are/ could be an issue, for some, and I understand that they can be frustrating and not fair to others, and if its really all about making sure they dont get their pixelated prize, let your ship sink, crew up with the ones who were helpful, repair your ship , launch your ship, have everyone board your ship, do not repair on ship or shoot and dock right away, You will get loot and you will meet hopefully some grateful humans that you can befriend and keep for further runs so you have no more afkers. Time consuming? maybe, inconvenience? could be?, but this is a solution right now that you can perform, to help stop afkers on your ship. all proactive!!

Some people have real life things they may have to tend to, also...some people actually do afk runs where they want their crew to not shoot BUT they do want the crew to help repair the ship.

Yes, sometimes all of us have things to tend to. If one needs to be afk to tend to something, for say, more than 10-15 minutes, is it really imperative they need to collect their virtual loot? As for your second statement, regardless if one is shooting or repairing, if they are doing SOMETHING, then they are not afk.

There's a simple solution to this problem and only the moochers don't like it because it's so very effective.
Add a "Ban Pirate" feature to every player's card.
A captain doesn't want a player on their ship, they can ban them from boarding in the future.
A player who goes afk on a ship can be banned by the captain and will not be able to board that captain's ship in the future.
The player is not kicked off the ship, but cannot board again until the captain lifts the ban.
Kicking players off a ship will never work, but banning works every time.
Clearly the afk moocher pirates are presenting a real problem for many in the game and perhaps it is time for a discussion as to what can be done or why nothing will ever be done.

To me it's less of them taking up space and not helping, and more of them being extremely disrespectful and disregarding all the hard work you put into a run.

It really offends me to see people doing this with no remorse, completely disrespecting the captain and his crew.

Maybe I'm overreacting

I find it ridiculous that a lot of people blame the captain for putting their ship public. "Just get a full crew of friends before you launch! It is YOUR fault they are leaching for making your ship public!" Alright, I'm not a very social person, I don't have many friends. It is uncommon for me to have more than 3 friends online and even if every friend wanted to go sailing with me on a moments notice, that is still hardly a crew.

But I guess that's my problem, after all it is my fault that people leach on ships because I don't really have friends and want a crew. I'm sure the whole reason making your ship open to the public was implemented in the game so people could leach, right? It seems that is the general consensus of the community.

NO one said it was the captains fault, You cannot control other people, you can only control yourself. Period. But accept that it happens, nothing is going to stop it, and accept responsibility for your own to make it stop. I can sail for an hour by my self or with an alt, dont really need a whole crew? those 3 or 4 you have im sure they know 3 or 4, and so on and so on. People are only going to go AFK on your ship IF YOU allow them too. Period. these are people behind these pirates, and yes they are going to take advantage of every single thing they can get. everyone is demanding something be changed or added or taken out because it doesnt fit with them, so what do you do in life when something doesnt fit with you? do you deal with it , accept it is what it is and move on, or do you go demand that it be removed, changed, added. Have you ever whispered talked to this person, or whispered a message. " Hi i would love for you to join my runs more often, however i feel that you are ... maybe you may be the positive change to all this. maybe if we did something besides complain and demand and threaten, maybe we can make a difference. Responsibility goes a long way, if you dont like the way something is the change starts with you, you have options, I am sorry if you dont like them but you have the same options as the rest of us. Public ships attract afk pirates. Period
There are many solutions to this, and every single one of them has been refuted because its too inconvenient. too something or other. But how do you think we deal with it... theres a reason why I dont have afkers on my ships that arent alts, (besides the fact there may be no room) its because i have talked to them I have parked my ship and stood there in front of them i have sunk and recrewed, I have. I have. I have. If you have a hard time meeting people post here and see how many people will gladly join your crew and not be afk. Ill be the first one to sign up, (and I wont bring an alt) there is a solution its just truly up to you to utilize it or create it

There's a simple solution to this problem and only the moochers don't like it because it's so very effective.
Add a "Ban Pirate" feature to every player's card.
A captain doesn't want a player on their ship, they can ban them from boarding in the future.
A player who goes afk on a ship can be banned by the captain and will not be able to board that captain's ship in the future.
The player is not kicked off the ship, but cannot board again until the captain lifts the ban.
Kicking players off a ship will never work, but banning works every time.
Clearly the afk moocher pirates are presenting a real problem for many in the game and perhaps it is time for a discussion as to what can be done or why nothing will ever be done.

@Crashalot , hey Crash, :thought: I dont know if this works or not, maybe i need to find out, but what happens if you ignore the pirate, can they then see your ship in the pubic list? and are they able to board it, if you have them on ignore???

I typically don't care if people AFK on my ship. However, if the ship is damaged, you ARE expected to help repair it. If I'm nice enough to let you on my ship, the least you can do is help keep is to full health. I've let people AFK on my ship in the past, and didn't care as long as they repaired when the time came.

Being able to boot someone off a ship seems to be something any captain could understand the need for; whether it's a mooching AFK player or a crewman acting like a fool.

If folks feel this is not democratic enough, one interesting thing Sea of Thieves has come up with is The Brig. Members of a crew vote to temporarily lock up a misbehaver. While I'm not recommended ADDING an entire room onto a ship just for this, an option to vote to BOOT a crewman seems more than fair.

Otherwise, as captain of a ship, I think I should have a say for handling a miscreant or a bum.

Back