Discussion Cannon Damage too low?

Flight1700

Honorable Pirate
Seems as though cannon damage is a bit too low. Level 5 fury is hitting for 489, outside of the range the skills page claims (660-something). And why isn't cannon damage being randomized like all other forms of damage? Was it always this way?

This is the supposed correct damage table
fury.png

The range cannonball damage should run between normal, which is the low value, and the high value, which is during an "open fire", where damage is increased, etc.
However, I have noticed damage on all weapons sometimes falls below the minimum threshold of damage for a particular skill set.
Blame the rng for this.

A few notes, currently take cover and open fire are broken, to where it affects both your ship and the enemy ship. So if you hit take cover the enemy ship takes 75% less damage as well, or if you use open fire you take 50% extra damage. Also, you can always get extra cannonball damage by leveling grenades.

I believe those high end numbers you're looking for are reduced by a ships armor, and once the armor is gone you see the actual numbers that are listed. Armor reduces the damage your cannonballs deal, so you don't see the listed numbers until armor is depleted. So just running some numbers you provided armor reduces a ship damage received by around 75%.

489 * 100 = 48900
48900 / 2070 = 23.62
100 - 23.62 = 76.38

76.38% Damage Reduction

A few notes, currently take cover and open fire are broken, to where it affects both your ship and the enemy ship. So if you hit take cover the enemy ship takes 75% less damage as well, or if you use open fire you take 50% extra damage. Also, you can always get extra cannonball damage by leveling grenades.

I believe those high end numbers you're looking for are reduced by a ships armor, and once the armor is gone you see the actual numbers that are listed. Armor reduces the damage your cannonballs deal, so you don't see the listed numbers until armor is depleted. So just running some numbers you provided armor reduces a ship damage received by around 75%.

489 * 100 = 48900
48900 / 2070 = 23.62
100 - 23.62 = 76.38

76.38% Damage Reduction
Well I suppose this makes sense. But these calculations are not consistent for every ammo type, maxed round shot deals 289 damage per hit, where the wiki lists it dealing 500ish max. That's about 50% damage. I wonder as to why fury is reduced moreso than roundshot.

Furthermore I BELIEVE I saw my level 1 explosive hitting for 2800, which what the wiki states it should be doing. Does explosive somehow negate armor?

All of this data comes from level 20 cannon without barrage and no open fire/take cover in effect. Level 0 grenade

Last edited:
I'm nearly positive that cannon damage is messed up. I don't know if damage is supposed to be consistent (I thought not but it has been too long to remember), but regardless it is hitting weird numbers. As a person with mastered grenades and cannon, with max damage on a rank 5 fury, it is hitting WAY TOO HARD against ships with a broken hull. I'm talking one shot kill damage. If I were to find a death omen with full health and a broken hull, if I used open fire, I could one shot kill it with fury. I think the most damage I've hit in one shot was 27k with fury, which I've done multiple times.

Now I haven't really played much since 2008, I played again the month it was closing, but had to restart and never really became familiar with things again. So that being said, maybe this was normal, but I sure don't remember dealing that much damage back in the day.

I do not recall cannon damage being randomized, but I do remember ship damage of all kinds being very different based on the strength of the armor you have left.

Back