Clothes effecting stats

Should clothes have attributes

• yes, switch it up

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • no, stay traditional

Votes: 58 92.1%

• Total voters
I basically like the clothing in POTC. You were able to get better clothes as you progressed as a pirate by earning more gold. Sometimes you would win a piece of clothing as a part of a treasure.

What I would like to see is better hair styles for the ladies. The ones in POTC were AWFUL.
Preach

I really, really would not want to see that. I often play RIFT and Lord of the Rings Online, and the one thing I loved about POTCO is that it was different in more ways than one, and your garb simply being cosmetic was one of them. As others mentioned above I feel it would give enhanced power. Maybe it wouldn't make them OP but I can certainly see the concern and possible annoyance it might come with. I know I ALWAYS fret on RIFT and LOTRO about my stats, and this and that. Others will have different opinions and that is perfectly fine! I would love to read their opinions. I just would not prefer to see it in the new POTCO game for a number of reasons. :)

I basically like the clothing in POTC. You were able to get better clothes as you progressed as a pirate by earning more gold. Sometimes you would win a piece of clothing as a part of a treasure.

What I would like to see is better hair styles for the ladies. The ones in POTC were AWFUL.

YES, thank you. They were just...ugh. What kind of hair styles would you like to see?

I love that someone wearing trousers and a sash because that's their style can be just as effective as someone wearing a greatcoat with a frilly undershirt, tricorn hat and big black boots because that's THEIR style. It lets us be unique and choose the way we present ourselves, and I appreciate that.

I love that someone wearing trousers and a sash because that's their style can be just as effective as someone wearing a greatcoat with a frilly undershirt, tricorn hat and big black boots because that's THEIR style. It lets us be unique and choose the way we present ourselves, and I appreciate that.

Exactly. I love the fashion over performance approach. Bigger coat =/= stronger person, unlike a lot of other MMOs. :swords:

The game needs to be as it was but that does not mean new features won't be added. They will want to add them in a way that people who want to use the new features...can, without affecting the game-play of people who do not want whatever the new thing is.

I agree. WoW had that type of thing and it gets confusing and too much studying about what type of gear gives you more health or takes from you. Just way too complex. Just my opinion. :fo:

One of my favorite parts of POTCO was that I could customize my pirate to my preferences. If stats were added onto the clothing, I fear i would be more focused on how to give my pirate the best stats rather than give them a cool style.

While I think it is possible - I don't think people would want it in mainly for the sake of customizing their pirate, really.

Example, while I really like the idea of using a Rapier and steering a War Galleon, would that mean that I'd have to stick to vests and caps rather than my old Greatcoat and Tricorn? It is those kind of restrictions that players feel more, I think.

I think that if stats could be added, they should only be applied as such. The longer you wear an item, the more it fits/suites you. Your character will perform better when going from swordplay to how long can you stand up with 11 pints of grog in yer belly.
But again, even this has its flaw in that if you find a cosmetic item you think will suit you better, it will now be statistically weaker.

TL:DR - It is a bad idea for the wrong reasons.

What I did enjoy were the quests for earrings and tattoos, plus the Barbossa outfit. Plus the hats and extras you could get from acquiring rank in svs and pvp. More of those would add content easily to the game while allowing more customisation of appearance without unbalancing the current stats.

There were items you could loot for sailing that boosted certain abilities and the rams helped with cannoneering I seem to remember.

A potion that boosted potion making xp or fishing xp might be useful, or your repair speed maybe, something that wasn't a permanent effect I'd be in favour of.

What I did enjoy were the quests for earrings and tattoos, plus the Barbossa outfit. Plus the hats and extras you could get from acquiring rank in svs and pvp. More of those would add content easily to the game while allowing more customisation of appearance without unbalancing the current stats.

There were items you could loot for sailing that boosted certain abilities and the rams helped with cannoneering I seem to remember.

A potion that boosted potion making xp or fishing xp might be useful, or your repair speed maybe, something that wasn't a permanent effect I'd be in favour of.

Charts and Globes helped with sailing and Cannon Rams helped with cannon. These were not aesthetic however, they were never seen, unlike clothing.

I get the annoyance of everyone wanting the same outfit due to added armor or weapon stats, but how about something like what Guild Wars 2 does.

You can put together an outfit based on bad-butt stats BUT then select a different outfit to be what everyone actually sees. This would mean adding another layer to the character stats I know but it's a thought.

I always hate when aesthetics are ruined by needing to have powers.
I always end up having good stats but the outfits look absolutely heinous. :modding:

Or maybe Founders just get a 5% rep bonus. No coins or clothes or whatever; perhaps having the Founder Coin turned on would give you the bonus instead of a physical item.

Back