Idea Commodities Trade and island ecconomy

Would you like to see this or something similar in the game?

• Total voters

Capitan Eli Davies

Honorable Pirate
I think it would be interesting if the islands had an economy that was player ran. For instance if each island had its own raw material it produced like cotton, iron, silver, gold, wheat, and some other raw materials. Then if there was a commodity exchange where pirates could browse through the raw materials an island produces and see what islands are in need of that raw material and what their price is. Players then could buy the raw materials, load them up on their ships, sail to another island and then sell these materials for gold. I would also say that if players had earned enough gold and a high enough trading level that they could then buy a farm or mine or another raw material production facility on an island. They then could manage this operation and could decide if they where going to let their production be sold by the commodities exchange or if they would store it away and trade it them selfs with their ships or sell it the island they currently are on. As they level in their trading skill maybe they could begin to buy weapons that can not be looted from the commodities exchange and that they would also able to bargain for a higher price for their looted goods when at sea.

This trading would create a supply and demand ecconomy on the civilized islands in the game. The EITC who in the past has had the monopoly on all the trade in the Caribbean though will take notice off all the new merchants in the waters disputing their monopoly on their trade goods. This means that EITC ships will be extra aggressive towards merchants and will notice and engage them from greater distances.

Since the trading habits of the players will determin the wealth of civilized islands the better the economy at and island the happier the islands inhabitants will be and the lower prices from the island merchants, ship yard, sword smith, gunsmith, taylor, tattoo shop, and potion shop. If the economy is going down hill then players will start to see the islanders give out quest for them to deliver certain goods to that island. If the players do not come and save the islands economy by taking goods with it then the EITC will come in and give relief to the islanders making them more hostile to the pirates and possibly making them pay less for treasures looted at sea. An island with a weak economy should pay less for goods anyway. This means that if player want to get the most money out of their treasures looted at sea they should dock at an island with a booming economy.

I am suggesting this just because I think it would be an interesting and fun dynamic to the game. It would be like the fishing game or some of the other mini minigames that give players a break from the constant fighting. Although I must say that the impact of players not using the trade system should not effect islands to much because of EITC is always trading with them but the economies of the islands will be at their strongest when players are doing the majority of the trading. This I think would also allow people who are just planning on getting in their ship and sailing to another island really quick a way to make a little money. I also think as you trading skill level goes up it should qualify you to buy bigger better ships just like the sea combat skill.

Trading xp should be based off of the distance between the island where the trade commodities where bought and the island that they were traded to and it should be based off of the amount of gold earned from the trade. I think we could also throw in the amount of EITC ships sunk and their strength since the EITC will target merchants.

Having goods instead of just gold for plunder would be a cool idea. The downside is since pirates plunder as crews, you would have to divvy it up.

I think creating a full blown materials economy might be too much for the game to handle, but the mobile app The Pirate: Caribbean Hunt uses a pretty basic cargo economy. Goods can be bought and sold as well as plundered or even made. Each port has it's own, ever changing, exchange rate. So, you might have a hold full of Rum you picked up on one island cheaply then dump it off on another for a profit.

So, let's say you plunder a ship. In addition to so many chests of gold, you get 40 bales of cotton, 15 barrels of rum, 50 bags of sugar. Then, add port those goods are divvy'ed up. Each pirate can then decide when and where to sell off their take.

This type of product exchange really works fine for solo play but would be harder for crew situations.

Having goods instead of just gold for plunder would be a cool idea. The downside is since pirates plunder as crews, you would have to divvy it up.

I think creating a full blown materials economy might be too much for the game to handle, but the mobile app The Pirate: Caribbean Hunt uses a pretty basic cargo economy. Goods can be bought and sold as well as plundered or even made. Each port has it's own, ever changing, exchange rate. So, you might have a hold full of Rum you picked up on one island cheaply then dump it off on another for a profit.

So, let's say you plunder a ship. In addition to so many chests of gold, you get 40 bales of cotton, 15 barrels of rum, 50 bags of sugar. Then, add port those goods are divvy'ed up. Each pirate can then decide when and where to sell off their take.

This type of product exchange really works fine for solo play but would be harder for crew situations.

Yea I was thinking of it in terms of that it would be just the player and his ship sailing around trying to make a profit while relaxing and not doing much fighting. I did suggest the EITC would be more aggressive with these ships but I am not suggesting it become like a bounty hunter thing. It would be interesting to see how it could work as a crew dynamic though.

The only way that would work is if the crew was locked so pirates couldn't come and go while plundering for goods vs. gold.

The only way that would work is if the crew was locked so pirates couldn't come and go while plundering for goods vs. gold.

That or ships could have two different cargo holds. One for Commodities and one for looted goods. Crew members would get a share out of the looted goods but the captains of the ships who bought the commodity trade goods would get all the money for their trade goods.

Back