Community Roleplaying Project

Should there be a set of community-written RP rules?

• Yes

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 57.9%

• Total voters
@Johnny Goldtimbers @Davy Gunfish @Richard Cannonwalker @Captain Andrew Mallace @Ned Edgewalker @Nate Crestbreaker

Tagging a few people who are involved with a role-play that existed in POTCO's time and is set to continue into TLOPO.

I am of the personal opinion, always have been and always will be, that the person with the most powerful guild backing him/her is in fact the ruler of the territory they claim. If there is 5 Kings of Spain, I recognize the one with the largest and proven influence. This is not to say that they can be taken out through warfare by other people who claim to be King, but they need to have the backing and ability to defeat them in combat.

I also am of the belief that, a war does not happen in one simple battle. Some might take a simple and small amount of them while others will take possibly around 10 major battles.

The people I tagged above also happen to be a part of the oldest and longest standing POTCO Country Role Play known. It is in fact so widely known, many of the "criminals" of the community are known to have come from or had some relation/involvement to it (Those such as Leon or Deleted member 4172 both having been forces in the community and the role-playing group) Some of the largest guilds have had dealings with it too, Caribbean Rangers, The Paradox, Francis Brigade, and more (that I can't seem to remember).
I understand you guys in the US are suffering "Electionitist" and taking it out on the forums (BTW Sparky thank you for saying something balanced and logical) but please let's focus on GETTING THE GAME BACK UP AND RUNNING! " I can't even read this crap... sorry : )" We all know people that died while we we were in POTCO or on the way now even... what are you talking about? Support and focus on the game and the future : )

Thousands, as we all know are waiting, not just me and you : ) (There is no question of up-take)

This is the first thread in 2.5 years since another remake and Gleamings etc. that I couldn't even read... my brain turned off... too much : ) Wakey, wakey is all I can say... (seriously I read the first few posts...I could not cope with the later):)

PS. Don't take it personally it's probably just me, I'm waiting for Beta..lol
(I just forced myself to read/scan most of what was said and please tell me what it means?... I understand that maybe this is a place to have a philosophical discussion with some "intelligent" people... but I still don't get it : ) ) When is Beta? When is full release? What are we talking about in this thread...
:captamerica::swashbuckler:

Last edited:
Roleplaying is just for fun, bro. It's all up to the imaginations of the players, and it should stay that way. Don't make rules on how people should operate their imaginations. Yes, there will be drama. But there will never be any such thing as "perfect roleplaying" in a "perfect TLOPO", so we should just ease off and let people have some fun.

P.S. if you go through with this, I am the leader of the Brethren of the Coast, and we run the Caribbean. So back off everybody. :p

Roleplaying is just for fun, bro. It's all up to the imaginations of the players, and it should stay that way. Don't make rules on how people should operate their imaginations. Yes, there will be drama. But there will never be any such thing as "perfect roleplaying" in a "perfect TLOPO", so we should just ease off and let people have some fun.

P.S. if you go through with this, I am the leader of the Brethren of the Coast, and we run the Caribbean. So back off everybody. :p
Agreed. At the end of the day, roleplay is just a fun thing to do on POTCO to pass the time. Regulating it would damage it and possibly make it more complicated than it needs to be and, as a result, make it boring.

also I'm the leader of the Brethren Court so there's gonna be a little conflict there :p

Agreed. At the end of the day, roleplay is just a fun thing to do on POTCO to pass the time. Regulating it would damage it and possibly make it more complicated than it needs to be and, as a result, make it boring.

also I'm the leader of the Brethren Court so there's gonna be a little conflict there :p
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Making rules for roleplaying just sucks all the fun out of it.
There won't be any conflict because I outrank you. :p

I understand you guys in the US are suffering "Electionitist" and taking it out on the forums (BTW Sparky thank you for saying something balanced and logical) but please let's focus on GETTING THE GAME BACK UP AND RUNNING! " I can't even read this crap... sorry : )" We all know people that died while we we were in POTCO or on the way now even... what are you talking about? Support and focus on the game and the future : )

Thousands, as we all know are waiting, not just me and you : ) (There is no question of up-take)

This is the first thread in 2.5 years since another remake and Gleamings etc. that I couldn't even read... my brain turned off... too much : ) Wakey, wakey is all I can say... (seriously I read the first few posts...I could not cope with the later):)

(I just forced myself to read/scan most of what was said and please tell me what it means?... I understand that maybe this is a place to have a philosophical discussion with some "intelligent" people... but I still don't get it : ) ) When is Beta? When is full release? What are we talking about in this thread...

We are all entitled to our opinion, and I am focused on the game coming out it is why I responded to this thread. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here because honestly its quite an accusation to throw for an opinion that I am entitled to and expressed in a civil manner allowed by the Forums. I am not sure how your post is really relevant to the thread either.

If you don't want to read about role playing, then don't? I actually think it's nice to see a different discussion compared to the constant when will the game be out threads and can I have a key threads :p

When I said rules I did not mean developer enforced rules - I meant guidelines enforced by the community. For example, if one guy went around claiming to be emperor of the world and harassing people in-game, he could be placed on a blacklist here to prevent people from unknowingly joining him etc.

When I said rules I did not mean developer enforced rules - I meant guidelines enforced by the community. For example, if one guy went around claiming to be emperor of the world and harassing people in-game, he could be placed on a blacklist here to prevent people from unknowingly joining him etc.
Then that would prevent people from playing the game how they want, just because he doesn't want to roleplay like the rest of you do doesn't mean he should have his entire roleplay experience ruined by being blacklisted on the forums.

Woops, found the right thread. I'd better post this here ;P Here goes my bloody opinion:

First of all, I want to state that one of the first childish EITC-like guilds was created by me but just as an attempt to make something original. I've always had a soft spot for the bad guys in my heart, and I didn't mean for it (the roleplay) to escalate into those levels of drama and conflict between players. I'd never thought it would develop into that. Heck, I got very mad when everybody started adressing themselves as Lords or Kings. Back then the best and most impressive achievement was being a General or an Admiral, so it clearly seemed as something abusive, something unfair. If any of you guys are familiar with actual roleplay, every single person was metagaming.

The real problem are not the roleplaying guilds, but the players. And I include myself in the ecuation. When I first started RP in POTCO, I didn't even know what roleplaying was. I was just an 11 year old trying to be original. So, being ignorant is the essence, I believe, of all the drama, hatred and conflict between the RP guilds. Not knowing what roleplay actually is. Instead, everyone takes things personal, there's no difference between OOC (out of character) and IC (in character) so they try to beat who they see as their rival with god-mode titles (aka King of the holy english spanish empire aka I'm more important than you) as they set up a bunch of rules that have, in reality, nothing to do with real roleplay. Everything becomes too personal and madness begins.

So, how can we solve this mess?
It's easier than one might think. Establishing a couple of rules is the obvious choice. But, is it really necessary? The answer is no. There are no need for specific rules for TLOPO/POTCO. What makes its roleplay so special that it needs its own set of rules? Why not just follow the universal roleplaying rules? People that want to take part in it must have the necessary knowledge to take in mind these universal rules. That means no godmode, no metagaming, no mixing IC and OOC and most importantly, respecting the lore of the movies.

Now, respecting the lore is something that's been heavily ignored. What are the King of England, the King of Spain, the King of Sweden, the King of IRU348279 all doing in the Caribbean? Is there any type of monarch party in Tortuga? What is this nonsense? But these are just a couple of examples.
Anyway, I hope you guys get the point.
I will surely start roleplaying as soon as I get my hands on a TLOPO key and remember, roleplaying is good, but godmoding is not!

Woops, found the right thread. I'd better post this here ;P Here goes my bloody opinion:

First of all, I want to state that one of the first childish EITC-like guilds was created by me but just as an attempt to make something original. I've always had a soft spot for the bad guys in my heart, and I didn't mean for it (the roleplay) to escalate into those levels of drama and conflict between players. I'd never thought it would develop into that. Heck, I got very mad when everybody started adressing themselves as Lords or Kings. Back then the best and most impressive achievement was being a General or an Admiral, so it clearly seemed as something abusive, something unfair. If any of you guys are familiar with actual roleplay, every single person was metagaming.

The real problem are not the roleplaying guilds, but the players. And I include myself in the ecuation. When I first started RP in POTCO, I didn't even know what roleplaying was. I was just an 11 year old trying to be original. So, being ignorant is the essence, I believe, of all the drama, hatred and conflict between the RP guilds. Not knowing what roleplay actually is. Instead, everyone takes things personal, there's no difference between OOC (out of character) and IC (in character) so they try to beat who they see as their rival with god-mode titles (aka King of the holy english spanish empire aka I'm more important than you) as they set up a bunch of rules that have, in reality, nothing to do with real roleplay. Everything becomes too personal and madness begins.

So, how can we solve this mess?
It's easier than one might think. Establishing a couple of rules is the obvious choice. But, is it really necessary? The answer is no. There are no need for specific rules for TLOPO/POTCO. What makes its roleplay so special that it needs its own set of rules? Why not just follow the universal roleplaying rules? People that want to take part in it must have the necessary knowledge to take in mind these universal rules. That means no godmode, no metagaming, no mixing IC and OOC and most importantly, respecting the lore of the movies.

Now, respecting the lore is something that's been heavily ignored. What are the King of England, the King of Spain, the King of Sweden, the King of IRU348279 all doing in the Caribbean? Is there any type of monarch party in Tortuga? What is this nonsense? But these are just a couple of examples.
Anyway, I hope you guys get the point.
I will surely start roleplaying as soon as I get my hands on a TLOPO key and remember, roleplaying is good, but godmoding is not!
Well actually there was something of a buccaneer nation in Tortuga called the Brethren of the Coast, of which the Brethren Court is based upon in the movies. So yeah, there's that, if we're talking about some form of Caribbean rule. And I'm running a guild with that name by the way, and I do plan on roleplaying, but I don't plan on going overkill with it like many of the people that drove me nuts on PotCO. So rest assured.

And the only ranks you can call yourself by are either "Captain" or one of the PvP/SvS ranks. So back off, kings and lords of Wonderland. :p

Back