Community Roleplaying Project

Should there be a set of community-written RP rules?

• Yes

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 57.9%

• Total voters
Okay onto the next issue: What constitutes a country and what doesn't? For example, British controlled Scotland, Wales, Ireland, etc in 17th century... however, is this to say nobody could claim those countries? Would they owe allegiance to the British guy, because not everything in the game is accurate lol. Cuba is tiny and south of haiti/dominican republic (tortuga) , Tortuga is missing half of the Island, etc
A country must have existed in the year that it is in RP (currently 1749). Land claims and such aren't based off of the game, they are based off of history. Land can be changed, and have in the past. This is done via wars, treaties, etc.

A country must have existed in the year that it is in RP (currently 1749). Land claims and such aren't based off of the game, they are based off of history. Land can be changed, and have in the past. This is done via wars, treaties, etc.
Who said it is 1749? Isn't that /after/ the golden age of piracy? And one could say that Ireland should be in a state of contention with both a national leader and the British king fighting over rule - look up Irish revolutions in the 17th/18th century, I'm sure there's at least one :p Also, what would the rules of engagement be? Couldn't some guy kill one british soldier and say he just took over Britain because the king wasn't online to oppose his attack...

Also, we should probably have combat accuracy then :p Like... no jumping. People didn't jump over each other swinging swords, they lined up and shot each other lol

Last edited:
Who said it is 1749? Isn't that /after/ the golden age of piracy? And one could say that Ireland should be in a state of contention with both a national leader and the British king fighting over rule - look up Irish revolutions in the 17th/18th century, I'm sure there's at least one :p Also, what would the rules of engagement be? Couldn't some guy kill one british soldier and say he just took over Britain because the king wasn't online to oppose his attack...
I'm not sure exactly when or where it was stated what year it is RP, but 2011 was considered 1744, 2012 1745, etc. Since it's 2016 it is 1749 in RP. During this time there hasn't been an Irish uprising since 1689. Battles have functioned as two sides agreeing to an SvS/PvP and agreeing on what is at stake. The battle then takes place, with the victor receiving what was staked.

Also, we should probably have combat accuracy then :p Like... no jumping. People didn't jump over each other swinging swords, they lined up and shot each other lol

1740 - 2007
1741 - 2008
1742 - 2009
1743 - 2010
1744 - 2011
1745 - 2012
1746 - 2013
1747 - 2014
1748 - 2015
1749 - 2016

Disney confirmed via a E-mail that Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl occurred during the 1740's. We know that the events of Dead Man's Chest and At World's end must take place before 1750, for that is when On Stranger Tides takes place. They stated in the movies that the Golden Age of Piracy was nearing its end.

The only Irish revolution during the 18th century was the Irish Rebellion of 1798, so no idea what you are referring to.

1740 - 2007
1741 - 2008
1742 - 2009
1743 - 2010
1744 - 2011
1745 - 2012
1746 - 2013
1747 - 2014
1748 - 2015
1749 - 2016

Disney confirmed via a E-mail that Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl occurred during the 1740's. We know that the events of Dead Man's Chest and At World's end must take place before 1750, for that is when On Stranger Tides takes place. They stated in the movies that the Golden Age of Piracy was nearing its end.

The only Irish revolution during the 18th century was the Irish Rebellion of 1798, so no idea what you are referring to.

Now I must ask - are we playing a roleplaying game or simply re-enacting history? Because if I can't rebel in the name of my country when I want to rebel I'm going to have problems, especially after going through fanon wiki and seeing things like robo-crocodiles and globalized industries being widely accepted :p 1700s are fine, but let's roleplay, re-enacting history would be the equivalent of playing the Lord of the Rings Online and making a character named Frodo to run across the world at level 1 with a ring... it's not fun, and kind of ridiculous. I get the need for keeping technology, etc. to 18th century but surely boundaries can change if people put the effort in to change them?

Now I must ask - are we playing a roleplaying game or simply re-enacting history? Because if I can't rebel in the name of my country when I want to rebel I'm going to have problems, especially after going through fanon wiki and seeing things like robo-crocodiles and globalized industries being widely accepted :p 1700s are fine, but let's roleplay, re-enacting history would be the equivalent of playing the Lord of the Rings Online and making a character named Frodo to run across the world at level 1 with a ring... it's not fun, and kind of ridiculous. I get the need for keeping technology, etc. to 18th century but surely boundaries can change if people put the effort in to change them?
RP has deviated from real history. Most of those pages on the GFW are from 2011, and not a part of RP. They're just fanon. Boundaries can change, and you can have a rebellion. In order for it to be successful, you'll have to fight those you are rebelling against.

If you wish to attempt to lead an Irish revolt, feel free to try when TLOPO is released to the general public. You will most likely be met by some fierce opposition.

History is mostly just used as a sort of base template for how land claims are (i.e. what countries owned what lands at that time). The maps of roleplay countries you see today aren't very historically accurate because wars and treaties and land trades changed who owns what. If we didn't use history as a template for how things are supposed to start off, people would probably just argue into oblivion over who owns what and why. But like I said, historical boundaries are just a starting point.
Also, if you wanna rebel you can get an army together and fight Britain. If you win, they'll probably respect you and concede but try and get the land you took back. Nobody's stopping you except Britain themselves.

Okay thanks for clarifying - and no I am not new, I played since 2009... I just didn't get too involved with RP until the towards the end and never world RP, which I am interested in trying this time around, some of the rules on the other wikis and fanon wiki articles I saw freaked me out after playing LOTRO where RP is very relaxed and drama-free. I just wanted that for TLOPO too. One final question: What about Logistics? I mean, the English can't load up some War Galleons with hundreds of men and sail to Connacht in a day, and there's always weather to think about :p Mongols tried to take over Japan twice and got defeated by storm before they ever got there (ofc that wasn't in the 18th century but you get the point)

Okay thanks for clarifying - and no I am not new, I played since 2009... I just didn't get too involved with RP until the towards the end and never world RP, which I am interested in trying this time around, some of the rules on the other wikis and fanon wiki articles I saw freaked me out after playing LOTRO where RP is very relaxed and drama-free. I just wanted that for TLOPO too. One final question: What about Logistics? I mean, the English can't load up some War Galleons with hundreds of men and sail to Connacht in a day, and there's always weather to think about :p Mongols tried to take over Japan twice and got defeated by storm before they ever got there (ofc that wasn't in the 18th century but you get the point)

On POTCO, you would have to meet with the British; schedule a date, time, server, and what land the battle was over (a city, port, etc), for an SVS, or a series of PVPs. You would then show up and battle. If the British for example, did not show up, you would take over the land with no opposition. Logistics exist on government pages on wikis, but really play no part in POTCO RP.

Okay, sounds alright then as long as defender can help schedule so that nobody is invading land when people are away doing RL stuff :) The other variation I saw was scary, "If the defender does not show up within the time the attacker scheduled, they forfeit their land" - people in other timezones could schedule battles for midnight etc that way. If both sides have a say that's great

Well, that's generally how roleplay has gone. If somebody makes a claim to the country you claim, you perceive them as a threat and have some SvS/PvP battles with them to decide who's stronger. It encourages people to build strong, active guilds and the multiple claimants issue creates activity within the roleplay community.
The (positive) building of stronger guilds/creation and sustainment of role-play activity is something I had never realized, before. Interesting. ;)

Question: With the natural competitive nature role-playing does invoke, were there ever any checks-and-balances made to prevent any one person from gaining too much power? (In asking openly this question, I am recalling back to how some RP individuals were capable of spilling their RP activity over into the POTCO community in general to where the power they both held and sustained altered negatively the peaceful game-play of others whom did not participate in RP). If no, doesn't anyone else feel that there should be for TLOPO?
:confused:

I feel like a person should only be able to hold /kingship/ in one country as a rule (excludes conquered lands to which they could assign whatever leadership they want) and that OOC must be kept seperate from IC issues as a rule, facing "excommunication" from the RP community as punishment for major violations. It really sort of happens naturally, nobody wants to RP with a guy who makes death threats over roleplaying etc. but they should be called out here and stripped of any IC titles etc, effectively removed from the RP world

The (positive) building of stronger guilds/creation and sustainment of role-play activity is something I had never realized, before. Interesting. ;)

Question: With the natural competitive nature role-playing does invoke, were there ever any checks-and-balances made to prevent any one person from gaining too much power? (In asking openly this question, I am recalling back to how some RP individuals were capable of spilling their RP activity over into the POTCO community in general to where the power they both held and sustained altered negatively the peaceful game-play of others whom did not participate in RP). If no, doesn't anyone else feel that there should be for TLOPO?
:confused:
I think the only check to a powerful roleplaying group will be another powerful roleplaying group that opposes them. But like I said in my first post, it's entirely within the right of the TLOPO staff to punish people who break the rules. I hope they do enforce a no-tolerance policy for rulebreakers too because the POTCO roleplaying community became toxic because of people like Deleted member 4172, who would do nothing but cause trouble and exploit and what not.

While establishing these rules... I would like to add that I should be the rightful King of Spain. As many know in the year 1742 my father Deleted member 4172 married my Mother Grace Goldtimbers to secure an alliance between the Kingdom of France and the Empire of Spain. Being the son of Deleted member 4172, former king of Spain, I believe that it is my rightful place to be the heir of the throne of Spain. If these rules indeed become a thing, we need to establish a clear set of rules for the kingdoms and their heirs. If needed I do remember the former leaders of each major nations, and could help write these rules *(If the TLOPO staff needed help with this)*. There would also have to be some official way that I, as the new leader of Spain, and other leaders of the countries, could set official policy and treaties with other nations. This would allow laws to be seen by the general public, and the status of countries alliances to be made "official".

Huh? I thought that the current king was Ferdinand Clemente something or other :p The wars begin! Anyway, I am officially going to lead a group know as Éirí Amach (Irish gaelic for Rebellion) out of the Connacht region of Ireland, and I hereby claim the title of honourary "Ard Ri", after the title of high king that Brian Boru claimed when he was the first to unite the Island. Our capital until we can further expand will be the city Sligo. Yes, I do have backing from others, not much yet, but it's enough for the game not even having come out yet xD If it can be agreed upon, I would like a land claim over the Connacht province of Ireland or at least County Sligo alone as a place for us to start our quest to reunite Ireland.

While establishing these rules... I would like to add that I should be the rightful King of Spain. As many know in the year 1742 my father Deleted member 4172 married my Mother Grace Goldtimbers to secure an alliance between the Kingdom of France and the Empire of Spain. Being the son of Deleted member 4172, former king of Spain, I believe that it is my rightful place to be the heir of the throne of Spain. If these rules indeed become a thing, we need to establish a clear set of rules for the kingdoms and their heirs. If needed I do remember the former leaders of each major nations, and could help write these rules *(If the TLOPO staff needed help with this)*. There would also have to be some official way that I, as the new leader of Spain, and other leaders of the countries, could set official policy and treaties with other nations. This would allow laws to be seen by the general public, and the status of countries alliances to be made "official".
A list of current leaders is already established, with Spain being one of the only contested nations.

Okay then :) Add me to that list :p As for claiming my county/province would that be allowed? I mean, we need to start somewhere... is a tiny Irish county too much to say we have managed to sway into our control for the beginning of the game?

A list of current leaders is already established, with Spain being one of the only contested nations.
Well I was referring to a more official list by the TLOPO staff. This list would be made up, hopefully, by veteran role players advising the staff. And I once again do say that I have the best claim to Spain, being the son of Deleted member 4172.

Back