Content Spotlight Discussion: Leaderboards!

OK, so sitting there tossing 3 or 4 daggers at a Boss party counts now.
Wow. Amazing...

He's talking about pirates on the same account, which cannot be played at the same time. Not alt pirates on other accounts.
Oh please, I'm not going there or get baited into an argument on a subject we all know the answer to because I wasn't meaning pirates from the same account. Everyone knows its mutli accounts. You're incorrect in your assumption.
Plus I was referring to players in general, not specific people, so don't play that card either.

Nothing wrong with leaderboards. Even nicer that tlopo will make them ignore-able as well, meaning I hope that the dev's give us a button to turn them off or ignore them so I don't see them popping up on my screen. I would imagine they only show up on players screens who invoke them. Either way leaderboards should have no impact on any players who don't care to use them.

Oh please, I'm not going there or get baited into an argument on a subject we all know the answer to because I wasn't meaning pirates from the same account. Everyone knows its mutli accounts. You're incorrect in your assumption.
Plus I was referring to players in general, not specific people, so don't play that card either.
He was literally asking about multiple pirates within an account. I also have many pirates within one account that I play on often and would really like to see those added up and possibly depicted together as an account total. Anyway, I was just trying to clarify, you seemed to have grasped more from the statement than I wrote.

Edit: Forgot to mention I do not think that multiple accounts should ever be added together even if they are one person's, although that is probably obvious.

Would you ever look into ranking players by account in addition to ranking them by pirate? Lots of the game’s most dedicated and competitive players like to play across multiple pirates instead of just one.
An example of this is Midnight Rider and Nightwatcher are the same account in the screen shot. This is a nice idea if it's in addition to.

Talking about the screen shot, would there be a search feature to look yourself or your friends up?

Last edited:
Interesting, this will create a nice competitive experience, especially for the guild leaderboards.

Nothing wrong with leaderboards. Even nicer that tlopo will make them ignore-able as well, meaning I hope that the dev's give us a button to turn them off or ignore them so I don't see them popping up on my screen. I would imagine they only show up on players screens who invoke them. Either way leaderboards should have no impact on any players who don't care to use them.
OK, Ima vote you got baited anyway bro!

Ahoy Squintz,

It should be noted that the Leaderboard system coming to TLOPO in the near future is merely tracking in-game statistics, and can be ignored entirely as it will be a tab off of the TLOPO Website, rather than being an in-game UI feature. This will allow players to take their pick at ignoring the feature post-release, or utilizing it to the spirit of friendly competition with other pirates and seeing who can hold a leaderboard spot for how long.

I hope this cleared up your concern.

Fair Winds,
Misha

It should be noted that the Leaderboard system coming to TLOPO in the near future is merely tracking in-game statistics, and can be ignored entirely as it will be a tab off of the TLOPO Website, rather than being an in-game UI feature.

That makes no sense to me as a game feature. Why would I want to go to a website while playing the game and I want info on another player? Or even myself right then?
I believe it's probably also going to be some sort of in-game UI feature. Certainly can be both.

It should be noted that the Leaderboard system coming to TLOPO in the near future is merely tracking in-game statistics, and can be ignored entirely as it will be a tab off of the TLOPO Website, rather than being an in-game UI feature.

That makes no sense to me as a game feature. Why would I want to go to a website while playing the game and I want info on another player? Or even myself right then?
I believe it's probably also going to be some sort of in-game UI feature. Certainly can be both.
it creates competition in a community which can be healthy for keeping player numbers

Last edited:

That would be a cool idea to have an in-game feature to see the leaderboards so people don't have to go to the website.

POTCO didn’t have a UI feature for stats or leaderboards, It all ran off of the POTCO website from what I can remember.

Squintz, I assume that leaderboards accessible in-game would be calculated real-time, which means more consumption of server capacity and player RAM+bandwidth. A separate website works for me, not that I'm skilled or vain enough to check a leaderboard often.

Has anyone defined what # kills means? Is it kills you participate in, or is it times you provided the final shot? If only the latter, what about a player or ship that does most of the damage (e.g., same as earning boarding rights)?

Another thought about what to put in the leaderboard: how about daily or weekly leaders for each of the items? Daily would have to note a fixed time zone (e.g., GMT) which might disadvantage some parts of the world. Weekly would have less of a fairness issue.

Squintz, I assume that leaderboards accessible in-game would be calculated real-time, which means more consumption of server capacity and player RAM+bandwidth. A separate website works for me, not that I'm skilled or vain enough to check a leaderboard often.

Has anyone defined what # kills means? Is it kills you participate in, or is it times you provided the final shot? If only the latter, what about a player or ship that does most of the damage (e.g., same as earning boarding rights)?

Another thought about what to put in the leaderboard: how about daily or weekly leaders for each of the items? Daily would have to note a fixed time zone (e.g., GMT) which might disadvantage some parts of the world. Weekly would have less of a fairness issue.
Hi. It's probably my abhorrence to opening a browser while in game influencing my thoughts. Blizzard and Steam both have warned against using open browsers while being logged into your game, not so much if going to the authorized home site, but having a hack visiting non authorized or un protected sites. It's just not a good idea to do this as a general rule. Hackers know all the ports to scan.

Anyways, it's a moot point as I'll never ever use them. Just think it's a hassle to go out of game to check things. Or is it tab out or something. I don't really know the tricks. Furthermore some people have lost legendary or good items just by screwing around with too many open windows while playing. I lost a legendary just by trying to take a screenshot and took too much time to do so.

I'm sure leaderboards shouldn't effect running game time anyhow.
GL

If this is going to continue to take a while, can you guys with access to the leaderboards screen shot the top 100 or so of each category and update a thread on the forums so we could enjoy a leaderboard function even if its updated monthly instead of live and on the site?

Like we saw the ss of boss kills 11-30 or whatever that was, just can someone do that for the top 50 or 100 for each category?

Back