Crashes Caused by Memory Leak - Workaround

Status
Not open for further replies.
One needs to realize that this community comes from a wide range of varying technical ability and comprehension. Not everyone is going to know the exact inner-workings of a thing as complex and multi-faceted as the Microsoft operating system architecture.

As an IT professional, I support over a thousand students and a few hundred faculty members. I tailor what I say to them when training them in a manner that makes sense to them. Come down a few notches - get on their level. The regular end-user is not going to understand our terminology and acronyms. This is important to consider, even if you are a higher-tier software developer that doesn't interface much with end-users.

Thanks.

And you need to look up the meaning of the word "sarcasm". I wasn't being serious about that, I'm annoyed only when people don't know what they are talking about, but try to convince you wrong. Or people who claim to know something, but they don't know a thing. In any other case, I don't care.

The original post was written in the spirit of trying to help those that are crashing as much as possible. Some have reported back that the workaround did help them. Regardless of what's actually going on in the background, it has had a positive impact.

We are actively working to resolve crashes such as these as we go.

Some have reported back that the workaround did help them.

VEEEERY unlikely. If anything, it *may* cause even more problems, so better not change things you are not sure how they work or what they mean. Sometimes you may have crashes, sometimes you may not, other times it's just the crash fixes that work. I appreciate your time for trying to help, but some things just don't have workarounds, and *may* even cause more problems trying to find ones.

Changing the priority of a process only affects it if it is competing with other processes, which is why it could have definitely altered people's performances, however slightly. In my experience, which is a fair amount (@trash computer), changing the priority doesn't have enough of an effect for it to be worth doing it every time, but it certainly won't make you crash more. You are simply telling the CPU in which order to deal with things so @Cheysa Finn is right in saying that however small, there will always be a beneficial impact.

Changing the priority of a process only affects it if it is competing with other processes, which is why it could have definitely altered people's performances, however slightly. In my experience, which is a fair amount (@trash computer), changing the priority doesn't have enough of an effect for it to be worth doing it every time, but it certainly won't make you crash more. You are simply telling the CPU in which order to deal with things so @Cheysa Finn is right in saying that however small, there will always be a beneficial impact.

Try having hundreds of hard real time processes, at some point one of them might receive more or less time slice, causing a crash. Changing the priority COULD cause more crashes, depending on how you change it. Changing it to higher or lower, obviously won't increase/decrease the crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back