Idea Dev Feedback: New PvP Map

Mr. Dev

TLOPO Staff
Well well well! HELLO! Mr. Dev again.

Today, I'm gonna try something a little different. We're early in development on a new PvP map to be used in both Team Battle and Mayhem. The foundation has been set, but we want YOUR feedback to take this map in the right direction.

Without further ado, take a look:

4fceac9e44d40ecb431b682f4d25327e-jpg.jpg

2a04a3aa96f949340d6448ac4137a2f0-jpg.jpg

01e83b30ae30965a4481625fb46999a8-jpg.jpg

bdd4cbc1205cf21837d0058d53117409.jpg

5141cc5d1cf7c8d02da29101d350e470-jpg.jpg

FAQ:

But Mr. Dev! Why are you working on ____ when _____ is still super buggy?

Hello, matey! Read this.

Mr. Dev, this looks ugly! It's so empty!

This is less than a day's work. Barely any objects have been placed. We wanted your feedback early on.

When is this gonna come out?!?!?!?! 😮

Per usual, Soon™. No release date. Ideally, it would be out at the same time as Marauder's Cove. That's my goal. But we aren't going to rush this out of the gate. There are other technical things with the CTC expansion that take precedent that I may have to work on first when another dev calls me in to do so.

I hate this design. It's flawed/ugly/a waste of time. Trash it and start over.

In a word: No. In a ramble: Care to explain? What's the flaw? And if you just think it isn't the right direction to in, that is okay! We're gonna do our best to try and please everyone, but if you don't like this design, never fear! We have some more maps coming down the road that might be more to your liking. :D

Why is there a Spanish Undead dude in a PvP map?!?!?!?!?!?

Placeholder, matey! Arrrrr! Undead enemies are roughly the same size as a player, so it helps to have this dude standing there for scale.

Mr. Dev!!! You said this is BOTH a Team Battle AND Mayhem map? That makes NO sense! There are clear spawn points for teams, not free-for-all!

For the Mayhem version, team spawns will be locked off with iron gates, similar to what blocks off the town on the main Marauder's Cove island, as seen in the CTC trailer.

Mr. Dev is lazy very busy (both can be true, stop judging me!) and as such, has not proofread this post for typos or grammatical errors. Please disregard any idiocy found in this department (or anywhere else for that matter.)

Last edited:
Why are there holiday decorations on the tavern building
:)

Not bad. Unfortunately, in TLOPO's current state, more objects = FPS drops. PvP, both mayhem and team, are meant to be open areas where players can easily spawn and get right back into the fight. For example, the current maps for both mayhem and team are horrible when it comes to spawning and time consideration. Simplicity is key when it comes to these things in PvP. In terms of the new map, if the bridge is inaccessible, I don't believe there is reason for it to be there. If there was a way to eliminate the majority of the walls and objects without disrupting the core essence of the map, I think this could work.

Why are there holiday decorations on the tavern building
:)

Default. Many holiday decorations are built natively into the building model. Won't show up in-game.

Not bad. Unfortunately, in TLOPO's current state, more objects = FPS drops.

I agree. Most of the central arena won't be heavily populated with props. This will be a classic, simple, wide-open arena.

For example, the current maps for both mayhem and team are horrible when it comes to spawning and time consideration.

Do you mean "spawning" time as in the time it takes for the black screen to go away, or do you mean time it takes to walk back to the fight?

Do you mean "spawning" time as in the time it takes for the black screen to go away, or do you mean time it takes to walk back to the fight?
Spawning as in the time that it takes to walk back to the fight. Current team PvP takes a ridiculous amount of time to get back to the fight, same situation with the top spawn in mayhem. I'm assuming the new maps will eliminate these issues, but generally, a player should be able to spawn and directly divert their attention to the fight that's taking place.

Here is an example of the old mayhem map before it was changed. It's simple, wide, and provides easy interaction between players, minus the stairs where top spawn would be.

Yeah I don't PvP much but the former openness of Mayhem was to its strength and not detriment. I see what Disney was trying to do, adding in choke points and trying to make it more interesting. Unfortunately it just doesn't fit POTCO PvP very well in any method of PvPing (especially being that you can range attack through the walls). A wide open arena style with close spawns and minimal set dressings left to the sides is best. If this map is left as a wide open arena style, has equal or better FPS to mayhem, and has minimal or no height changes, it will probably become the most popular PvP map.

I like the look so far too, tying it into the Marauder's Cove location is very cool too.

Back