Suggestion Discord

Status
Not open for further replies.

X Jumper

Honorable Pirate
The forums seems to lack some form of a chat room. I don't know if it's because of rule violations, or the admins never really considered having one. As one of the many people (even my guildies) who use Discord and enjoy it, I think it would be neat if there was an official Pirates Forums Discord group chat. This would allow us to communicate with each other at any given moment whenever desired.

5d030ada-9ca7-44e1-833b-e73174f74ce0
Now, hold on a second - what exactly is this "Discord" you speak of? Discord is just like Skype where you can create a server of your own, send friend requests, host calls, etc. Sometime in the future, they'll add additional features such as share screen when in a call.

But what if users decide to come by and start becoming a pain-in-the-tuchus? When creating a server, you are given a set "server settings" where you can customize roles (titles), emojis, view bans, and much more. As soon as you create your server, you are already given permissions to do whatever you want. You could also offer permissions to another person, but even doing that could have some consequences if you don't make the wise decision - just like making someone an officer in a guild.

As much as I like to think Discord is all good and dandy, maybe there are some cons that could be discussed. I apologize if someone already created a post suggesting Discord, but I have yet to see a post of that sort.

Feel free to leave any concerns or comments!

Last edited:
I'm sure admins have considered it, but that's what IRC is used for. There are plenty of unofficial fan-made discords, scattered throughout the forums, if you search discord, I'm sure you'll find some.

I'm sure admins have considered it, but that's what IRC is used for. There are plenty of unofficial fan-made discords, scattered throughout the forums, if you search discord, I'm sure you'll find some.
It's not easy to find a Discord unless you're given an invitation to it. I forgot about IRC when making this post. Maybe I should've thought about that, but I feel that a Discord would be more fun and interactive. You do make a great point though.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This discussion has been had a few times over the course of time and personally, don't think there's been any reason to change. There's also already a couple different public discords you can use that you can find in the 1st thread link.

https://piratesforums.co/threads/should-we-have-a-discord-server.12026/#post-179192

https://piratesforums.co/threads/would-you-like-a-chatroom-for-the-forums.8467/

https://piratesforums.co/threads/add-a-chat-davy-d.7736/

https://piratesforums.co/threads/pirates-forums-chat.2089/
I'm unable to view the first link. Have a link to any other posts discussing Discord?

I actually run several discords, One for my guild Deja Vu, that had around 60 members in the server, and another TLOPO discord for some friends, that IK most of the mods are already in. I think with discord its really friend, and specific invitation oriented, because as IK with my guild server, a large discord is not easy to manage.

I actually run several discords, One for my guild Deja Vu, that had around 60 members in the server, and another TLOPO discord for some friends, that IK most of the mods are already in. I think with discord its really friend, and specific invitation oriented, because as IK with my guild server, a large discord is not easy to manage.

This is kind of true, Leon. However, I run a Discord for another game with over 500 members. It can be done, but it sure isnt easy! I have admins and mods that help me a ton over there. I can link our guild website for you if ya like so you can check it out. Also, we set our permissions on Discord to members only. There is a public lounge that anyone who gets an invite can join and talk, but all of the other rooms (Dungeon room, raid group rooms, private rooms) are all locked to specific people. It definitely would be a pain if I didn't have AWESOME people helping me with it all :)

Here is the Link to our discord (again, you can only get into the public lounge with this invite): https://discord.gg/pf5hj

And here is the link to our guild website: http://terrasalis.guildwork.com/

This has been talked about several times. TLOPO Staff and Forums staff are adamant about not having an official Discord. The Forums are exactly that, Forums, and they DO have a conversation section (if ye don't kn0w). Also, there IS an Official TLOPO IRC Chat, which has been linked above. Besides that, there are community-run Discords that large majorities of the community are in, including TLOPO/Forums Staff. I'm pretty much in any Discord that's been posted on the forums. (I searched "Discord" :D).

If you'd like to join any of them, Start a Conversation with me, and I'll link you to them.

The forums seems to lack some form of a chat room. I don't know if it's because of rule violations, or the admins never really considered having one. As one of the many people (even my guildies) who use Discord and enjoy it, I think it would be neat if there was an official Pirates Forums Discord group chat. This would allow us to communicate with each other at any given moment whenever desired.

5d030ada-9ca7-44e1-833b-e73174f74ce0
Now, hold on a second - what exactly is this "Discord" you speak of? Discord is just like Skype where you can create a server of your own, send friend requests, host calls, etc. Sometime in the future, they'll add additional features such as share screen when in a call.

But what if users decide to come by and start becoming a pain-in-the-tuchus? When creating a server, you are given a set "server settings" where you can customize roles (titles), emojis, view bans, and much more. As soon as you create your server, you are already given permissions to do whatever you want. You could also offer permissions to another person, but even doing that could have some consequences if you don't make the wise decision - just like making someone an officer in a guild.

As much as I like to think Discord is all good and dandy, maybe there are some cons that could be discussed. I apologize if someone already created a post suggesting Discord, but I have yet to see a post of that sort.

Feel free to leave any concerns or comments!

Also, mate- your discord link was temporary (I'm assuming just the 30 minutes). Can you send me a permanent link. Savvy? :D

This is kind of true, Leon. However, I run a Discord for another game with over 500 members. It can be done, but it sure isnt easy! I have admins and mods that help me a ton over there. I can link our guild website for you if ya like so you can check it out. Also, we set our permissions on Discord to members only. There is a public lounge that anyone who gets an invite can join and talk, but all of the other rooms (Dungeon room, raid group rooms, private rooms) are all locked to specific people. It definitely would be a pain if I didn't have AWESOME people helping me with it all :)

Here is the Link to our discord (again, you can only get into the public lounge with this invite): https://discord.gg/pf5hj

And here is the link to our guild website: http://terrasalis.guildwork.com/

This has been talked about several times. TLOPO Staff and Forums staff are adamant about not having an official Discord. The Forums are exactly that, Forums, and they DO have a conversation section (if ye don't kn0w). Also, there IS an Official TLOPO IRC Chat, which has been linked above. Besides that, there are community-run Discords that large majorities of the community are in, including TLOPO/Forums Staff. I'm pretty much in any Discord that's been posted on the forums. (I searched "Discord" :D).

If you'd like to join any of them, Start a Conversation with me, and I'll link you to them.
I understand they never insisted of having a chat system on the forums because they fear it would "take away the idea of the forums completely", which I don't see how having a Discord could hurt since it's not really going to affect the forums. If people stopped using the forums just because of communication-wise, then there would be absolutely no reason in having a Pirates Forums Discord in the first place. I'm also aware of the conversation section, which I have used before. Some people need to realize that it is possible to implement a chat system on a forums, but it only depends on whether the admins want it or not.

They've mentioned that they will close down their IRC channel on April 15 because they want to focus on moderating the game more(?). Now it really seems like they're dissing the whole idea of having some form of all-time communication within the community. I knew the IRC existed, but my reasons for suggesting Discord is because I personally think it would be more fun and interactive like I've said before. That's just my two cents.

Thanks for letting me know of the already-existing Discords, however.

Last edited:
I understand they never insisted of having a chat system on the forums because they fear it would "take away the idea of the forums completely", which I don't see how having a Discord could hurt since it's not really going to affect the forums. If people stopped using the forums just because of communication-wise, then there would be absolutely no reason in having a Pirates Forums Discord in the first place. I'm also aware of the conversation section, which I have used before. Some people need to realize that it is possible to implement a chat system on a forums, but it only depends on whether the admins want it or not.

They've mentioned that they will close down their IRC channel on April 15 because they want to focus on moderating the game more(?). Now it really seems like they're dissing the whole idea of having some form of all-time communication within the community. I knew the IRC existed, but my reasons for suggesting Discord is because I personally think it would be more fun and interactive like I've said before. That's just my two cents.

Thanks for letting me know of the already-existing Discords, however.
The reason for closing the IRC was "for more resources" meaning they are closing it for game server space.

i think a discord would be a GREAT replacement for the IRC

channels + voice chat + profile pics + images/emotes...

it's pretty much a modern IRC!

there's an unofficial IRC, but it'd be great if we had an official one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back