Idea expanding on the skills?

BogusTree

Pirate
So right now we have very straight forward skill progression, but we also have many different types of weapons to use, so i had the idea of suggesting branching pathes for each of the weapons.
the only problem i can see is that not all weapons are made equally, such as swords vs guns where guns have many types from blunderbuss to flintlock and musket to multishot flinklock.
while swords have the very fast rapier, the multi-hit broad sword and the all-rounded cutlass.

someweapons like the voodoo doll would have to expanded upon, perhaps giving more into types of spells that some dolls favor, like a swarm king doll that has bug related spells.

but for the basics of an example of how a skill tree could branch out, lets say you want to focus on the broadsword, it can hit multiple targets, which is its main thing, at some point in leveling your sword skills you would need to select what you want to specialize in, the braodswords tree would have things like the abilty to parry multiple targets, perhaps a focus ability that lets you have a wider and wider swing arch the more you have perfectly timed swings, giving you more health etc.

while the rapier would let you get faster and faster with your swings and parry your enemies (without the dumb voodoo casting animation, that ruins some weapons imo).

Voodoo could specialize in the different elements of the dark arts, poisoning, damaging, perhaps new elements could be added to flesh such an idea out.

not sure how guns would would without changing how they work, but thats hwy this is an idea.

what do you guys think?

I would be cautious about changing skill progression and perhaps just adding more types of looted weapons. I believe your ideas could be incorporated into specialized weapons which coould be added to loot tables without having to recode skills completely.

I would be cautious about changing skill progression and perhaps just adding more types of looted weapons. I believe your ideas could be incorporated into specialized weapons which coould be added to loot tables without having to recode skills completely.
might be, at the very least i think the weapon abilities need to be changed, cause a lot of the time because of the voodoo doll casting animation thats used, you never get to take advantage of the opening they sometimes provide.
take the block attack that one of my daggers have, it can block one attack but by doing so it wastes time by doing the casting animation.

if anything needs to change is those type of abilities

Oh yea that ability that auto parries one attack takes so long that you get hit two more times by the time the animation is done. In that span of time you could have demolished the enemy lol. I stay away from weapons that have that ability because the automatic activation is just annoying.

I don't think specialized weapons are enough. The weapons should have more of a skill tree to improve a person's experience;even though it requires coding and animations, I think it should be done. The Dagger skills involve throwing knives, but you're sometimes up close and personal.

If we were to add more skills, maybe a skill tree like ESO. The Dagger would have three skill paths (i.e. Throwing Knives, Cutthroat, Trickster) and each path has 4-5 skills each. The player can only choose 4 skills to have on his hotbar but you mix and match what you want.

So right now we have very straight forward skill progression, but we also have many different types of weapons to use, so i had the idea of suggesting branching pathes for each of the weapons.
the only problem i can see is that not all weapons are made equally, such as swords vs guns where guns have many types from blunderbuss to flintlock and musket to multishot flinklock.
while swords have the very fast rapier, the multi-hit broad sword and the all-rounded cutlass.

someweapons like the voodoo doll would have to expanded upon, perhaps giving more into types of spells that some dolls favor, like a swarm king doll that has bug related spells.

but for the basics of an example of how a skill tree could branch out, lets say you want to focus on the broadsword, it can hit multiple targets, which is its main thing, at some point in leveling your sword skills you would need to select what you want to specialize in, the braodswords tree would have things like the abilty to parry multiple targets, perhaps a focus ability that lets you have a wider and wider swing arch the more you have perfectly timed swings, giving you more health etc.

while the rapier would let you get faster and faster with your swings and parry your enemies (without the dumb voodoo casting animation, that ruins some weapons imo).

Voodoo could specialize in the different elements of the dark arts, poisoning, damaging, perhaps new elements could be added to flesh such an idea out.

not sure how guns would would without changing how they work, but thats hwy this is an idea.

what do you guys think?
Perhaps something like that could be for legendary only, making legendary great again. Or if applied to global weapons, it could be quest based, making you earn special skills per item. A way of building weapons. This could also be expanded to other items in the game.

might be, at the very least i think the weapon abilities need to be changed, cause a lot of the time because of the voodoo doll casting animation thats used, you never get to take advantage of the opening they sometimes provide.
take the block attack that one of my daggers have, it can block one attack but by doing so it wastes time by doing the casting animation.

if anything needs to change is those type of abilities
I don't think any of those casts you mentioned are instant casts, so the animation is just filling in time. I think.

Back