For a game of adults it sure seems childish...

Goreron2

Swashbuckler
The majority of players are those returning after the initial closure, most of them are adults now and have been following the games development since it was announced.

What is with the chat filter? Who had the idea? Sorry but it's true and it's been plastered over the forums - it blocks out my own in real life first name when called by a friend, it blocks out the names of other players such as "cannonbolt", it blocks a myriad of words. I got a 24 hours ban for habitually saying "d*mn" twice through whisper in game to my friend.

It actually makes no logical sense to first block profanity from view BUT then punish the player for something that couldn't have been read or seen by others?

Mod's need to focus on fixing noclip issues when docking, disconnecting and a range of issues rather than manually adding in words to a whitelist so everyone can be happy all whilst gloating on forums about how people facing the same issue need to have cleaner mouths.

Solution: Toggle profanity filter so it's client-sided based on the persons real life age when the account is created... Or simply remove profanity-based punishments as it defeats the purpose of a profanity filter. Player growth will dwindle when new people accidentally make the same mistake. Be serious here.

Last edited:
You may use this thread: https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-official-whitelist-suggestion-thread.12084 to suggest words to be whitelisted for future use.

It has been stated multiple times by the development team that there are no plans to alleviate the way chat filters work - that being said, it probably requires 10% of their effort to moderate chats now as the cencorship is automated and thus their main focus is restoring stability and game functionality for all.

Thanks for the feedback!

The majority of players are those returning after the initial closure, most of them are adults now and have been following the games development since it was announced.

What is with the chat filter? Who had the idea? Sorry but it's true and it's been plastered over the forums - it blocks out my own in real life first name when called by a friend, it blocks out the names of other players such as "cannonbolt", it blocks a myriad of words. I got a 24 hours ban for habitually saying "d*mn" twice through whisper in game to my friend.

It actually makes no logical sense to first block profanity from view BUT then punish the player for something that couldn't have been read or seen by others?

Mod's need to focus on fixing noclip issues when docking, disconnecting and a range of issues rather than manually adding in words to a whitelist so everyone can be happy all whilst gloating on forums about how people facing the same issue need to have cleaner mouths.

Solution: Toggle profanity filter so it's client-sided based on the persons real life age when the account is created... Or simply remove profanity-based punishments as it defeats the purpose of a profanity filter. Player growth will dwindle when new people accidentally make the same mistake. Be serious here.
Agreed, I think that there should be a relaxed chat filter or even none at all.

Have you ever read these forums before? I mean clearly you have since you acknowledge that this has been brought up many times before so I don't understand why you've bothered to create another thread about it. Do you seriously think making another dramatic thread about how its not fair and most people who played this before are now adults is actually going to make the devs change their mind? You say that most people who play this are adults now, well I guess some clearly aren't because we still have people like you who know the rules but still choose to swear in game regardless. A real adult would know better and would accept the fact that this is how it is, and if you can't do that then I would say you definitely deserved your ban. And I'm sorry, but do you actually know how a development team works? The people fixing bugs are not the same people adding words to a whitelist or blacklist. It's called a development team because the team works together on different parts of the game, not because they can do every single part of development. Also saying that player growth will dwindle because of people accidentally swearing in the game is just completely false. If by dwindle you mean the few people who have no self control and common sense will leave then you would be right but luckily for those of us who care about the game those people are few and far between and to be honest we're probably better off without them anyway. I hope you enjoyed :2 cents: (extended version since people can't seem to get this through their heads).

Edit: And as Mark said, if your name or something else ridiculous is blocked you can ask to have it whitelisted but I'm sure you already knew that.

Have you ever read these forums before? I mean clearly you have since you acknowledge that this has been brought up many times before so I don't understand why you've bothered to create another thread about it. Do you seriously think making another dramatic thread about how its not fair and most people who played this before are now adults is actually going to make the devs change their mind? You say that most people who play this are adults now, well I guess some clearly aren't because we still have people like you who know the rules but still choose to swear in game regardless. A real adult would know better and would accept the fact that this is how it is, and if you can't do that then I would say you definitely deserved your ban. And I'm sorry, but do you actually know how a development team works? The people fixing bugs are not the same people adding words to a whitelist or blacklist. It's called a development team because the team works together on different parts of the game, not because they can do every single part of development. Also saying that player growth will dwindle because of people accidentally swearing in the game is just completely false. If by dwindle you mean the few people who have no self control and common sense will leave then you would be right but luckily for those of us who care about the game those people are few and far between and to be honest we're probably better off without them anyway. I hope you enjoyed :2 cents: (extended version since people can't seem to get this through their heads).

Edit: And as Mark said, if your name or something else ridiculous is blocked you can ask to have it whitelisted but I'm sure you already knew that.

Not really actually James Couch, check my join date. Some of us haven't been members since 2012 like you. Reason it's been brought up many times because it's illogical and multiple people including myself have put fourth better ways of implementing a profanity filter without the staff monitoring needed in an open chat. Buddy, you're 19 and just barely an adult. You'd get arrested and fondled by police for having a sip of alcohol where you live. Don't come onto a constructive thread thumping war drums and acting almighty, not very adult-like is it? Reread what I said to get a ban and think about it, "d*mn is universally not considered a swear word, you'd hear it everywhere in Georgia including from politicians - I can now access the game again anyway. You're one of those typical guys every forum has that tries overly hard to get a forum support/staff position.

Can't hate on people making threads about the issue, how do you think issues get changed huh?

edit: I meant by dwindle that I could easily foresee a fresh player accidentally getting banned for 24hrs like so many others have but then never returning to the game and moving onto other things. Not becoming immersed and sticking around. Sure dwindle's a wild exaggeration, your right, but a similar scenario is not unlikely.

Last edited:

May I see the evidence on which this statement is based? Or is this just your opinion? I happen to know people who are returning WITH their children. Actually, I'm returning and my 9 year old grandson (who was too young to play POTCO when it was live) is joining me. So, Please show me the proof of this.

Not really actually James Couch, check my join date. Some of us haven't been members since 2012 like you. Reason it's been brought up many times because it's illogical and multiple people including myself have put fourth better ways of implementing a profanity filter without the staff monitoring needed in an open chat. Buddy, you're 19 and just barely an adult. You'd get arrested and fondled by police for having a sip of alcohol where you live. Don't come onto a constructive thread thumping war drums and acting almighty, not very adult-like is it? Reread what I said to get a ban and think about it - I can now access the game again anyway. You're one of those typical guys every forum has that tries overly hard to get a forum support/staff position.

Can't hate on people making threads about the issue, how do you think issues get changed huh?

Well I was looking for the post I put in another one of these useless topics, which by the way will change nothing, but I cant find it. The basis of it is that Disney owns all rights to this game. Therefore if Disney takes a look and sees that the people remaking their game are not following the whole family friendly thing then we wont have a game anymore. No one cares about your ideas for a profanity filter that can be toggled, its useless. I swear all the time but do I do it in the game? No, because I have common sense and realize that the mods would ban me. You speak about people monitoring the chat but Mark has just stated that this takes up very little time due to the chat filter working so well. You just have to face the fact that you're part of a small minority of people who are not going to get their way. Why should the staff risk the possibility of Disney sending them a C&D because you can't go without swearing in a video game? As far as your whole fondling comment, I have no opinion on that besides it makes me think you're a very strange person and playing this game is probably the closest you can actually legally get to real children. Your whole war drums... what ever that was supposed to be, its nonsense, I am just part of the majority of the community that is sick or seeing this tired worn out argument that hasn't went anywhere in your parties favor since development started on this project. I read what you said in the first place and believe you fully deserved to get a ban, if you already knew how strict the chat situation was you should know better, if not then your sure do now, don't you? And no actually I would hate to be a moderator on these forums because I would have to read these posts even more, it's annoying as it is, I couldn't even imagine having to read even more. Not hating on people talking about the issue, but if you want to do it go do it on one of the 500 other threads that's been started.

May I see the evidence on which this statement is based? Or is this just your opinion? I happen to know people who are returning WITH their children. Actually, I'm returning and my 9 year old grandson (who was too young to play POTCO when it was live) is joining me. So, Please show me the proof of this.
Even Rhony was talking about playing the game with her daughter earlier.

Friendly reminder: Moderators do not develop the game, that is the sole job of game developers.

Friendly reminder: Moderators do not develop the game, that is the sole job of game developers.

Johnny is correct. The in-game moderators have only one job: To moderate player actions and chat in the game. They have nothing to do with editing, deleting, or adding to the code that drives the game. That team is a separate set of people on the TLOPO staff.

Have a look at the LOTPO Facebook group? All adults. Now look at the likes of any random status update from the official Facebook page and look at all the adults and middle-aged people? I don't see any children/teenagers liking or commenting on them. Majority of those that keep updated are adults. Check the forum sections for TV shows, all adult. Yes that's right, they're all older players returning with their children and grandchildren. The game is mostly older players.

Hence why profanity should be based around the age of the player. Or at least have a global filter but remove automatic bans.

Have a look at the LOTPO Facebook group? All adults. Now look at the likes of any random status update from the official Facebook page and look at all the adults and middle-aged people? I don't see any children/teenagers liking or commenting on them. Majority of those that keep updated are adults. Check the forum sections for TV shows, all adult. Yes that's right, they're all older players returning with their children and grandchildren. The game is mostly older players.

Hence why profanity should be based around the age of the player. Or at least have a global filter but remove automatic bans.
The devs have already stated that TLOPO will be just like POTCO. You couldn't swear in POTCO and not get banned, so you can't and will never be able to in this game either. Your argument is invalid (it will never happen ;))

Well I was looking for the post I put in another one of these useless topics, which by the way will change nothing, but I cant find it. The basis of it is that Disney owns all rights to this game. Therefore if Disney takes a look and sees that the people remaking their game are not following the whole family friendly thing then we wont have a game anymore. No one cares about your ideas for a profanity filter that can be toggled, its useless. I swear all the time but do I do it in the game? No, because I have common sense and realize that the mods would ban me. You speak about people monitoring the chat but Mark has just stated that this takes up very little time due to the chat filter working so well. You just have to face the fact that you're part of a small minority of people who are not going to get their way. Why should the staff risk the possibility of Disney sending them a C&D because you can't go without swearing in a video game? As far as your whole fondling comment, I have no opinion on that besides it makes me think you're a very strange person and playing this game is probably the closest you can actually legally get to real children. Your whole war drums... what ever that was supposed to be, its nonsense, I am just part of the majority of the community that is sick or seeing this tired worn out argument that hasn't went anywhere in your parties favor since development started on this project. I read what you said in the first place and believe you fully deserved to get a ban, if you already knew how strict the chat situation was you should know better, if not then your sure do now, don't you? And no actually I would hate to be a moderator on these forums because I would have to read these posts even more, it's annoying as it is, I couldn't even imagine having to read even more. Not hating on people talking about the issue, but if you want to do it go do it on one of the 500 other threads that's been started.

What? I said "without the staff monitoring" keyword "without". And huh? I was making a joke about American police, much like the jokes that get thrown around online.

I've obviously learnt my lesson and will not be getting banned again LOL. Yes, if a toggle filter isn't possible then refer to my second option of removing automatic bans and KEEPING the filter. It's silly to have the game block a profanity and then ban the user? READ my posts carefully.

I'm sorry, but you may have us confused with another project, we are not LOTPO. Also, one social media platform is not our entire community, older adults are more likely to use Facebook I'd imagine. Nor would one section of the forums be our entire community.

You said: "Yes that's right, they're all older players returning with their children and grandchildren."

Yes, so there are still children and grandchildren, because this is a FAMILY FRIENDLY game.

Family friendly means families, INCLUDING CHILDREN, are welcome to come join in on the fun, so we will keep the chat clean for these families.

---

I'm sorry, but the filter is staying.

I'm sorry, but you may have us confused with another project, we are not LOTPO. Also, one social media platform is not our entire community, older adults are more likely to use Facebook I'd imagine. Nor would one section of the forums be our entire community.

You said: "Yes that's right, they're all older players returning with their children and grandchildren."

Yes, so there are still children and grandchildren, because this is a FAMILY FRIENDLY game.

Family friendly means families, INCLUDING CHILDREN, are welcome to come join in on the fun, so we will keep the chat clean for these families.

---

TLOPO is obviously what I meant sorry, was a misspelling. But I give up.

---

It's almost a waste of time Johnny, tomorrow someone else will just make another thread even though it been clarified in this one and many others that the filter will stay.

It's almost a waste of time Johnny, tomorrow someone else will just make another thread even though it been clarified in this one and many others that the filter will stay.

If it's such an issue why hasn't an official thread been dedicated to it to clear it up?

I don't really understand why a chat filter is such a huge problem...

How would a chat system be a problem, you have bugs to report but here we are complaining about the chat... The last "Problem" which isn't really a problem.

I would say calm down and get used to it, you don't have to curse in every sentence.

It took me about an hour if even that to get used to it and not bother anymore.

Back