For a game of adults it sure seems childish...

I realize that. However, it's impossible for anyone to be offended by a swear word in-game, since no one can even see it.

Why doesn't TLOPO approach this differently? Instead of allowing someone to potentially submit a swear word OR a word that isn't even a swear word (but for some reason is whitelisted/blacklisted, whatever), why not make it impossible?

For example, I type in a word that could send me a warning, but until I erase the word from the chat box, I cannot submit my response.
That would just encourage them to find another way to type it where it doesn't get filtered instead of laying down the law.

Okay, I am fully for no swearing in TLOPO, but this is just ridiculous:
View attachment 83388
Either I've been living under a very explicit rock or "doofus" is not in any way a serious or offensive insult. The best part? The message in question was "I'm a doofus". If I'm really to be excluded from Savvy Swashbuckler and other non-infraction rewards ingame for saying this, then I will not be happy.

Wow, definitely not an offensive word. They said it in Spongebob for example:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekJDAJGHcww

O.K. Then they could just do what I said, but cover a wider area, so to speak. Instead of just blocking the word, word(s) IN CONTEXT that could be used in place of the word as well.
That'd be hard to program, but they do have multiple word combinations like "face book" and "how old are you" that are blocked. Plus, I feel like bans are the kick in the pants some people need to behave, just not on words like "dang" and "doofus".

Doofus isn't really an unfriendly word. I mean, I remember a children's book my 2nd grade teacher read to me, which had the words doofus, bozo, and other words like that.

The use of "d*mn" in Spongebob also: https://vine.co/v/e12wzTrxpVF

Maybe offensive in the 50's, not at all today
That's a completely different context and I'm not at all surprised they allowed it. That context is the literal version of the word, as it is used in Biblical text, even. It means nothing more than "condemn". When it is used in other contexts, though, that's when it's a swear.

That's a completely different context and I'm not at all surprised they allowed it. That context is the literal version of the word, as it is used in Biblical text, even. It means nothing more than "condemn". When it is used in other contexts, though, that's when it's a swear.
Sure I can understand why bible-bashers might freak out over it.

Context is of course everything my dear... "D*mn you!" is abusive and explicit, however "d*mn" in an exclamatory tone is not considered offensive. Not too long ago the whole "d*mn* Daniel" craze was all over social media, public daytime television, news, etc and that wasn't considered offensive all at. Kids in Australian schools use it all the time in front of teachers and no one bats an eye.

I'm not at all concerned whether the word is blacklisted or not. A lot of time has passed since this thread was created.

If you had the option to disable the chat filter, so only those who disabled it could see what is really being said, you could keep the children from seeing things they shouldn't, and we can talk like we normally do.

Back